Suggestions for phosphate, magnesium, and strontium test kits

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be absolutely honest. I have read far too many articles today and my brain is just straight shutting down.

So imma just ask this question instead, knowing full well I might get a few eyerolls here and there for not figuring this out myself.

But anyways.

What test kits do you guys recommend for phosphate, magnesium, and strontium?

[EDIT]

Nvm, apparently my brain is still alive enough to figure Hanna for phosphate, and Red Sea or Aqua Forest for Mag.

Still want to know about Stront.

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid brain fade, keep reefing simple :)

Red Sea PRO for PO4
Aqua Forest for Mg
Last time I tested for strontium was around 1989 (I used a Salifert kit). As you can probably tell, it's not something that is tested for much these days (while important, reef aquaria that do regular water changes typically have enough).

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like salifert for Mg.
I'm curious if the Sr kits are actually good enough to make "test and adjust" a better way to keep a good value of Sr than just "do water changes". Are the kits good enough for that?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like salifert for Mg.
I'm curious if the Sr kits are actually good enough to make "test and adjust" a better way to keep a good value of Sr than just "do water changes". Are the kits good enough for that?

I had this question myself a good while back. I've looked at a number of Salifert Sr testing threads over the years and I don't remember seeing anyone comparing the test result to a reference solution for accuracy. With ICP testing available now to the hobbyist, this could be easily verified by testing Sr with a hobbyist grade kit before sending a sample for ICP testing

Per Salifert (owner Habib)::

"The Strontium kit is the most difficult one within our line of kits. Strontium is very difficult to measure correctly in seawater by chemical means."

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/salifert-strontium-test-kit.217911/

Also prone to potential user error as one must pay very close attention to properly identify the correct end point coloration.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

I read like in one article that strontium might be important, but it qas very brief. Seems like it is not too important after all.

So anyways, Hanna for phosphate and Red Sea or Aqua Forest for Mg. I see Salifert too, but I will just go for what seems to be the majority. :3

Back