Suggestions for quieting my carbon reactor

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a BRS carbon reactor, And have it hanging off the wall down in myself. The Sound from the vibrations i’ve gotten a little worse recently, it just may be the way I’ve got it right now. I’ve got a silicon rubber mat between the reactor and the glass sump. The primary noise does appear to be the vibration of the top of the reactor, where it’s hanging against the wall. I don’t have room to set it completely apart from everything. Does anybody have good suggestions on how to address the vibration noise against the wall?

I was thinking about maybe hanging it from the sump “ceiling”, or maybe creating some DIY brace of the wall with silicon or rubber gasket.
Thoughts?

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a BRS carbon reactor, And have it hanging off the wall down in myself. The Sound from the vibrations i’ve gotten a little worse recently, it just may be the way I’ve got it right now. I’ve got a silicon rubber mat between the reactor and the glass sump. The primary noise does appear to be the vibration of the top of the reactor, where it’s hanging against the wall. I don’t have room to set it completely apart from everything. Does anybody have good suggestions on how to address the vibration noise against the wall?

I was thinking about maybe hanging it from the sump “ceiling”, or maybe creating some DIY brace of the wall with silicon or rubber gasket.
Thoughts?
Sometimes my pump would hit the sides of the sump and causes a lot of noise, maybe that is your problem. I don't know how exactly the reactor itself is moving or vibrating?

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the vibration of the pump, thru the tube, to the reactor. The reactor vibration up against the wall of sump area (where it’s hanging) is making most of the noise. Does that make sense?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone tubing from the pump to the reactor, will quiet it right down.

My pumps rattle from time to time(I have 3 maxijets in one compartment of my sump). The hard tubing from BRS they come with sucks big time! I switched to all silicone tubing, and the rattling has stopped. Of course the pumps still rattle from time to time in the sump, but the vibration isn't carried over to the reactor.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes my pump would hit the sides of the sump and causes a lot of noise, maybe that is your problem. I don't know how exactly the reactor itself is moving or vibrating?
I'd switch to silicon tubing just like homer said above, that rigid tubing for ro/di helps transfer lots of vibration. try switching it out for some 1/2 silicon tubing

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd switch to silicon tubing just like homer said above, that rigid tubing for ro/di helps transfer lots of vibration. try switching it out for some 1/2 silicon tubing
Silicone tubing from the pump to the reactor, will quiet it right down.

My pumps rattle from time to time(I have 3 maxijets in one compartment of my sump). The hard tubing from BRS they come with sucks big time! I switched to all silicone tubing, and the rattling has stopped. Of course the pumps still rattle from time to time in the sump, but the vibration isn't carried over to the reactor.
Great advice. Thanks!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back