Suggestions on adding coral or rock flower anemone 60 gal cube

ONO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the saltwater hobby. I've had mine for about 6 months and it has been doing very well.

I currently have a 60 gallon cube tank with the specimen below:

1 Niger Trigger
1 Clown Trigger
1 Sailfin Tang
2 Clownfish
2 Bluedevil Damsels
1 Lionfish
1 Redknob Starfish
1 Red Blue spotted Sea Urchin
2 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wanted to add some coral but I'm not sure if the current fish I have will damage the coral.
So, any suggestions on whether or not I can add coral?
If not, would adding some rock flower anemones be safe?

Just trying to see what I can add to brighten the tank, I believe I am pretty much at capacity in terms of adding more fish.

Thanks!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anything there would bother a Rock Flower Anemone; but I have found that the three I bought don't look nearly as great as they did under the 'optimal' / 'premo' lighting the LFS had just for their R.F.A. tank. Mine are fairly dull in my home tank, under average blue & white lighting. The whiter, the more dull.

Last edited:

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i have 5 in my 40B. they will do great in that tank if the BTA's you have are doing wel.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the saltwater hobby. I've had mine for about 6 months and it has been doing very well.

I currently have a 60 gallon cube tank with the specimen below:

1 Niger Trigger
1 Clown Trigger
1 Sailfin Tang
2 Clownfish
2 Bluedevil Damsels
1 Lionfish
1 Redknob Starfish
1 Red Blue spotted Sea Urchin
2 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wanted to add some coral but I'm not sure if the current fish I have will damage the coral.
So, any suggestions on whether or not I can add coral?
If not, would adding some rock flower anemones be safe?

Just trying to see what I can add to brighten the tank, I believe I am pretty much at capacity in terms of adding more fish.

Thanks!
Nearly all of your livestock is not reef compatible. Might be able to get away with RFA.

IMG_0027.GIF

And not to play tang police, but your cube is way too small for many of your fish, namely the Triggers, Lion and especially the Sailfin. If your LFS sold you those fish knowing your tank size, you need to find a new LFS because they take you for a sucker...

Those fish should be in a 120-150gal minimum. As those fish grow it will not work out well in a 60 cube... Might be a good opportunity to rehome/trade those for reef appropriate fish if you want corals.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t have an issue with the rock flower, they seem to be more forgiving then the other anemones, I don’t want to sound like an echo but I do see a few fish on the list that should be in a larger tank (after they outgrow your tank).

OP
OP
O

ONO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I purchased from a LFS which unfortunately closed down a few weeks ago now. I would probably go with trading the lionfish, triggers and sailfin then. It would be a challenge for me to get a larger tank and start over. What's the best way to either trade or sale them?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I purchased from a LFS which unfortunately closed down a few weeks ago now. I would probably go with trading the lionfish, triggers and sailfin then. It would be a challenge for me to get a larger tank and start over. What's the best way to either trade or sale them?
The African starfish/urchin are also not coral compatible, they'll eat what you put in there.

Craigslist works great or finding a local reefing group. If people don't want to trade livestock you can just sell them and purchase new fish...

For a 60 cube clowns/gobies/blennies/basslets are a nice choice. If you really want a Tang, id go Tolmini/Bristletooth

OP
OP
O

ONO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm about to purchased an aquarium from a previous owner. I have 2 options Crystaline Premium Reef - 60x20x21. He says it's right over 100 gallons, with sump it's 139 gallons total system. I really like this tank but would like to confirm if this will be okay for my triggers and sailfin tang.

The other option is a 150 gallon 48x24x30, with sump about 180 gallons. This one I would need to purchase additional equipment to get it going.

Which of these should I get that will work with my triggers and sailfin, or will they both be good?

Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 150 gallon.jpg
    150 gallon.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Little over 100 gallon.jpg
    Little over 100 gallon.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 28

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flowers are awesome, and offer (in my opinion) one of the best “bang for your buck” options for adding a lot of color to your tank. Nothing in your stock list looks like it would mess with the RFAs, but as others have said, virtually none of that stocking list is coral/reef safe, so I’d be cautious when considering other additions. If your bubble tips are doing well and none of the inhabitants pester them, you should give some RFAs a shot.

You can easily get addicted to RFAs, trust me, because they are even more attractive in groups. I have a 30 gallon long tank with about ~30 RFAs, and the only issue I’ve ever had was a peppermint shrimp that “went rogue” and killed one and fatally injured another in a two week span. They can be added in groups or batches as well. I often get 8 for $200 every couple months to continue building the collection.

1724CCDB-CA68-411A-81F3-313556061605.jpeg

858D627C-384D-4C39-AD23-A93221227297.jpeg

On another note, as others have pointed out, you have fish that will quickly outgrow your tank. Sailfins get much bigger than people would expect, when I got into reefing in 2011 I added a sailfin to my 140g. He was awesome, but he quickly grew and I did not understand why he seemed stressed so often. I swapped him for a small scopus tang that was fantastic and charismatic, and had him for several years before giving him a better home in a friend’s new 240g.

If you like your current tank, but also want to add some color, there are a couple of different wrasses that would be beautiful additions. However, and if the Pygmy or small flasher wrasses would not be safe until the aggressive fish have found new homes. Especially those triggers! I’ve seen a few close friends experience a trigger going on a full blown murdering spree that took out most tank mates in a short time.

OP
OP
O

ONO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! With that said, I'm going to look into selling/trading the sailfin tang as well. What if I replaced the sailfin with a blue hippo tang?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! With that said, I'm going to look into selling/trading the sailfin tang as well. What if I replaced the sailfin with a blue hippo tang?

Hippo tangs get really big (about a foot long) and need a significant amount of swimming space. Most will say a 180g tank (min) would be needed, and especially a tank with length given swimming space is crucial for their well being.

They grow pretty quickly as well. If I’m remembering correctly, they grow about 2 inches a year on average in their early years.

OP
OP
O

ONO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya! So stick with a Bristletooth or whitecheeck if I want to keep a tang?

Back