Suggestions on getting Large Angelfish to eat.

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so I just got a new large Annularis Angelfish yesterday and he's still not eating. I usually feed a mixture of frozen brine shrimp(I vitamin soak it), mysis shrimp and large music shrimp. He doesn't really seem to be interested in any of that. I also tried freeze dried seaweed and nothing yet. Any suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you may have not hit the foods he may be interested yet, also angels come in with internal parasites frequently. Look for other indicators like lethargy and stringy poo. If after trying all the foods people recommend he still doesn't eat, be prepared to act quickly.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also mentioned you got him yesterday. It may just be stress. Sometimes a couple days will do wonders for their appetite. Just keep trying different foods I’m sure it will come around!

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you may have not hit the foods he may be interested yet, also angels come in with internal parasites frequently. Look for other indicators like lethargy and stringy poo. If after trying all the foods people recommend he still doesn't eat, be prepared to act quickly.
Thanks, yeah still eating. If it's internal parasites do you think copper safe will work?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something else is not going on and it is just being picky with foods, try offering some finely chopped, or grated, pieces of clam

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah still eating. If it's internal parasites do you think copper safe will work?
Copper med won’t work on internal parasites. Usually metro. I like to use API General Cure that contains both metro and prazi (2 doses at about 7-8 days apart)

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I've had problems with disease ever since I moved and got my new tank(210). I don't have the space right now for a quarantine tank, but even when I do it would be 20 or 30 gallons(and I'm ordering several fish at a time because its a big tank and i only have 3 fish in there from when I moved that i had in a smaller tank). So I've been putting them in the new tank. I switched to cupramine to use as a preventive /treatment for any new fish but have had limited results, recently switched to coppersafe because I've heard it's less toxic on fish. I did buy some general cure but haven't used it yet, I thought coppersafe was supposed to take care of internal parasites too? If not do you think I'm better off using the general cure whenever I add new fish?
Thanks!

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I like putting my new fishes thru 2 rounds of General cure in QT

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back