Suggestions on how to get 3 new female lyretail anthias to eat?

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the wrong forum earlier I think... I bought a male locally last week and he eats very well. So I order 3 females from LiveAquaria that arrived Tuesday. So far they haven't eaten. I've tried frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis and Ocean Nutrition prime reef flakes. They act interested in all of it, but they just spit it out. I can't get live food locally, but would be willing to start a culture if necessary. Any suggestions please?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try V20 Foods Reef Caviar. Basically frozen cubes of fish eggs. All my anthias go bonkers for it.
Also keep in mind, Anthias in general have a small esophagus so larger foods like pellets aren't sometimes accecpted. The small size of the Reef Caviar makes it a great frozen choice.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try V20 Foods Reef Caviar. Basically frozen cubes of fish eggs. All my anthias go bonkers for it.
Also keep in mind, Anthias in general have a small esophagus so larger foods like pellets aren't sometimes accecpted. The small size of the Reef Caviar makes it a great frozen choice.
Thank you! I'll see if I can find some locally or order it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretails are usually pretty accepting of foods. Try feeding in high flow. Their instinct to chase should take over.

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lyretail anthias that we’re 4 days out of the Indian Ocean. I fed them live brine shrimp for about 3 days then fed live brine with frozen mysis for another 4 days. They adapted well to the frozen then and I stopped the live. After awhile they started to eat pellets also. I feed them 2-3 x per day the frozen mysis now. They are fat and happy!
589f0f3b240a2179345746175c50014b.jpg

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lyretail anthias that we’re 4 days out of the Indian Ocean. I fed them live brine shrimp for about 3 days then fed live brine with frozen mysis for another 4 days. They adapted well to the frozen then and I stopped the live. After awhile they started to eat pellets also. I feed them 2-3 x per day the frozen mysis now. They are fat and happy!
589f0f3b240a2179345746175c50014b.jpg
Nice fish! I couldn't get live locally, but chopping the mysis into smaller pieces and putting it in front of a powerhead worked. They gobbled it down.

Back