Suggestions on lights for a Mangrove setup?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely if you want programability and you are not ad DIYer then I agree with your choice. If there is the possibility to run the white channel with a decent intensity it sounds quite interesting what you want to do. Worst case scenario you can add an additional bulb over the mangrove for little money and run the AI with blue mainly (green leaves look awful under blue light)
A problem I had with mangroves (in freshwater!) was that they grew quite fast and at some point they were taller than my light fixture so I needed to add an additional light just for them. Not sure if you can prune them..
I have prepared with purchasing the longest flex arm possible haha ! Hopefully I run into that issue. I am thinking of running the Pico Fuge Light along with white itense preset for the AI Prime. Than last hour or two ill transition to heavy blues. I won't mind seeing metallic blue leaves for just 2-3 hours of the night. Should be worth it for the corals. I imagine you can prune them pretty heavily as most plants can be bonsai.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have prepared with purchasing the longest flex arm possible haha ! Hopefully I run into that issue. I am thinking of running the Pico Fuge Light along with white itense preset for the AI Prime. Than last hour or two ill transition to heavy blues. I won't mind seeing metallic blue leaves for just 2-3 hours of the night. Should be worth it for the corals. I imagine you can prune them pretty heavily as most plants can be bonsai.
Mangrove bonsai. dang, now I want a mangrove for my reef tank.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank I am setting up is inspired by people with Fluvals and waterboxes keeping Mangroves in the back chambers!
Do you have links? I actually have a fluval flex and happen to have a chamber with nothing but LR rubble:D

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were group members here or in the Fluval Evo group on Facebook. Let me reach out and see if I can find any names particularly, or photos of tanks. Here are some links to different threads of fluvals/nanos doing mangroves in the front or back chambers. Not sure how they are in the present.

Here is a good one here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/its-mangrove-season.312140/

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha all good it happens. The thing is I want corals + mangroves so I think it would be easier just to get an AI Prime and rig high white, red, green settings? And maybe transition to more blue later on for some coral colors.
There’s not much point in using the green part of the spectrum. Most of it just gets reflected off.

A lab I sometimes do for my photosynthesis unit involves growing aquatic plants under various color lighting. The plants are kept in beakers turned upside down in aquariums so that O2 gas created by photosynthesis is trapped, and you can kind of indirectly gauge the photosynthetic rate under various spectra.

Students always predict the green will be the highest rate, but green barely produces any O2. Blue and red do roughly the same. White is usually a little bit more than blue and red.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not much point in using the green part of the spectrum. Most of it just gets reflected off.

A lab I sometimes do for my photosynthesis unit involves growing aquatic plants under various color lighting. The plants are kept in beakers turned upside down in aquariums so that O2 gas created by photosynthesis is trapped, and you can kind of indirectly gauge the photosynthetic rate under various spectra.

Students always predict the green will be the highest rate, but green barely produces any O2. Blue and red do roughly the same. White is usually a little bit more than blue and red.
Wow this is super interesting! Do you mean you get higher photosyntetic rates with full spectrum than blue+red? I suppose they could use different wavelenghts for other purposes (maybe secondary metabolism?) which will end up increasing indirectly their metabolism.. Also I guess there are huge interspecific differences! imagine a species living in heavily tannic waters compared to one living in very clear waters

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were group members here or in the Fluval Evo group on Facebook. Let me reach out and see if I can find any names particularly, or photos of tanks. Here are some links to different threads of fluvals/nanos doing mangroves in the front or back chambers. Not sure how they are in the present.

Here is a good one here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/its-mangrove-season.312140/

I love them! my only fear with them growing the mangles in the sand is that they might damage the tank if they decide they really want to grow in the silicone..I think there were some horror stories in the forum I was subscribed to :S

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like the whites are the way to go! I think I will add small amounts of greens/reds just to have more of a full spectrum similar to the sun. I was just watching a show last night on the destruction of the kelp forests and how they could potentially save the planet. One of the researchers had a bunch of macros in the beakers as you were explaining to study them.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them! my only fear with them growing the mangles in the sand is that they might damage the tank if they decide they really want to grow in the silicone..I think there were some horror stories in the forum I was subscribed to :S
I never knew one had to worry about mangrove roots breaking a tank.. I guess it makes sense. Seeing I have a squamosa now I have to watch to make sure its byssal threads dont attach to the glass.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thank you for chiming in! Are the mangroves in the DT? Do you think the grow light or the AI Primes is doing more for the mangroves?
Yes, the tank was set up for mangroves. Then I added the rock flowers and other “coral” and criiters to go with the mangroves. Mangroves are going to do best in a species or biotope tailored around their needs. The grow light is used for their needs, the primes are for the coral mostly for the blues to make them look pretty a night. The grow light I have been using I got on Amazon 39 dollars.
LED Grow Light for Indoor Plants - Relassy 75W Sunlike Full Spectrum Indoor Grow Light Plants - 3/6/12H Auto On/Off Timer COB Grow Lamp - 4 Dimmable Indoor Plants Light - 22.5 Inch Longer Gooseneck

Last edited:

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Kessil A80 "sun" light for mine

PXL_20211210_170941732.MP.jpg

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit my lack of understanding of the complexities of lights. There is PAR, K, Light type, etc. Would a AI Prime 16 HD cover the 6500k needed? I like LEDs a lot and the look / customizability of the primes.
For what it’s worth, I use an AI prime fresh water and it can be set to 6500k without a problem. That’s something to consider for the mangrove and then an AI Prime marine for the corals. I’m getting ready to start a similar tank to you so I’ve been putting some thought into this also.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I use an AI prime fresh water and it can be set to 6500k without a problem. That’s something to consider for the mangrove and then an AI Prime marine for the corals. I’m getting ready to start a similar tank to you so I’ve been putting some thought into this also.
Great advice. There must be a cheaper mountable light that has 6500k and can fit on a nano tank! I guess the Kessil A80 would be one. @Griev this is the same one?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a nice simple cool white lighting that fits the lighting of the room (maybe a bit more white) for the plant and having an orphek or3 blue or fluval 3.0 strip (depending on coral wants) sitting on the actual tank for coral lighting. THe light linked below is what i would use (or a cool white version) to save money for the coral lighting, mangroves need horticulture lighting as stated above, merry christmas!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a nice simple cool white lighting that fits the lighting of the room (maybe a bit more white) for the plant and having an orphek or3 blue or fluval 3.0 strip (depending on coral wants) sitting on the actual tank for coral lighting. THe light linked below is what i would use (or a cool white version) to save money for the coral lighting, mangroves need horticulture lighting as stated above, merry christmas!

Thank you sir. Just looking for recommendations on mangrove lightning right now. I have a spare reef breeders, and AI Prime 16 HD for corals. I really am hoping somone else has been successful with an AI Prime + mangroves and certain preset. Would make my life a little easier. But I am still hunting.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cob are cheap and can come in different spectrums, excellent alternative to kessil without the controls, look forward to seeing the build hope it goes well whatever way you choose

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back