Suggestions on lights for a Mangrove setup?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the led used in that fixture they put out a lot of light, i use the purple version for my refugium and it works great, super bright

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cob are cheap and can come in different spectrums, excellent alternative to kessil without the controls, look forward to seeing the build hope it goes well whatever way you choose
That’s what I use on my tank to light my mangroves. 39 dollars on Amazon and it has a built in timer and some adjustments for intensity.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is super interesting! Do you mean you get higher photosyntetic rates with full spectrum than blue+red? I suppose they could use different wavelenghts for other purposes (maybe secondary metabolism?) which will end up increasing indirectly their metabolism.. Also I guess there are huge interspecific differences! imagine a species living in heavily tannic waters compared to one living in very clear waters
I’ve never actually done blue + red. Might be interesting to see if the rate increases with both.

I typically do one group ea for blue, red, green, and white (~full).

Bear in mind, this is a high school science lab, so it’s not really designed to be precise.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I use on my tank to light my mangroves. 39 dollars on Amazon and it has a built in timer and some adjustments for intensity.
How well are your mangroves doing with the light? Can I see your setup? Seeing both of you use it with success I may give it a try and find a way to mount it + rig my AI Prime for more mangrove likable settings.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. Just looking for recommendations on mangrove lightning right now. I have a spare reef breeders, and AI Prime 16 HD for corals. I really am hoping somone else has been successful with an AI Prime + mangroves and certain preset. Would make my life a little easier. But I am still hunting.
I have a Hydra 52 over a similar freshwater set-up where I grow grasses and irises in the shallow end. They grow plants pretty well.

I do have the green turned up a lot just to give the plants some good green coloration that pops. But the rest is just set with blue/red/white turned up pretty high:

KfkjQfd.jpg

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well are your mangroves doing with the light? Can I see your setup? Seeing both of you use it with success I may give it a try and find a way to mount it + rig my AI Prime for more mangrove likable settings.
It has worked well and I have good growth. The tree’s have added several and new branches in the past 8 months since it was set up. I feel like saltwater products are more expensive for a variety of reasons. Plant and freshwater equipment is cheaper but still works well.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has worked well and I have good growth. The tree’s have added several and new branches in the past 8 months since it was set up. I feel like saltwater products are more expensive for a variety of reasons. Plant and freshwater equipment is cheaper but still works well.
I think with the light you guys recommended + the AI Prime 16 HD geared towards white/red/greens they will have more than plenty of light in my tank. Appreciate the help everyone.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends how long you want to grow them. I mean, it's a tree. Any daylight bulb would do provided it's bright enough. For such an application I would stay away from "aquarium" lights since they will just cost more for no real benefit.

BigBundee69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured id post on this thread to see everyones thoughts. I will be having a display tank of mixed corals and fish but i was really really wanting to do either a mangrove in the display and/or in the refugium. Any good ideas on small lights that i can put under the display that will be ok above the sump? Thanks guys.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured id post on this thread to see everyones thoughts. I will be having a display tank of mixed corals and fish but i was really really wanting to do either a mangrove in the display and/or in the refugium. Any good ideas on small lights that i can put under the display that will be ok above the sump? Thanks guys.
Ai prime! I've seen them on mangroves before and its a perfect blend

crvz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Godspeed! My mangroves are ok, they are slow growers in my experience but can do well if you're patient. I've had some pretty big ones in years past (for the hobby, at least), hoping my current batch will match those in the coming years.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally about to get the mangroves soon! Lights are setup, tank is a few months old. Macros/corals doing well.

Big question: How deep should the sand bed be for their roots??

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunlight is best but your corals won't like that. Initially what I'd suggest is get the lights that will work best for the corals you are getting. Design your lighting placement for eventiually having two different lighting setups as your mangrove grows. Something close to your tank for your corals and something higher up for your mangrove as it gets taller.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run mine in the 5-6” depth. Could probably be a hit shallower as long as there’s enough to support it from falling over.
My tank is only is only 16" in height I think my current sand bed is 1-2". I mean a lot of people don't even use sand beds right?

Sunlight is best but your corals won't like that. Initially what I'd suggest is get the lights that will work best for the corals you are getting. Design your lighting placement for eventiually having two different lighting setups as your mangrove grows. Something close to your tank for your corals and something higher up for your mangrove as it gets taller.

Your tank is lovely! I love the aquascaping and coral scape. So I already have the two lights prepared and tank 3 months old. I am following the technique you are saying. No mangroves yet. I am running AI Prime 16 HD full spectrum (high whites, reds, greens) with a mount for the corals. Also I have a grow light from amazon on the ceiling for optimal light conditions for the mangroves when I add them. Hopefully the corals get used to the high amounts of light but they should if they can handle the light in the ocean!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back