Sulfur Media where are you???

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just no demand in the hobby anymore. I’ve not used it personally, having hoarded a bunch of LSM, I believe this is the same stuff ....

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Simon! I was hoping to hear from you on this one. I am putting finishing touches on my new big fish only and intend on using a denitrator as part of the bio filtration. Also have an ETS Skimmer and an ATS of your design. Are you liking the compliment of your ATS and sulfur denitrator? I know you have a huge bio load so think your system is a great test for any nutrient export method. I am setting up a 650 FOWLR.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You changed your username ..... that’s cheating LOL.

Sulfur denitrator has been awesome. Ripped the nitrates out of my system. Closing in on 80 six weeks ago, now down below 5. May actually have gone down too fast as I had a couple of SPS colonies go RTN on me. Need to check on phosphates to see where those are.

The other interesting thing is that as nitrates climbed my chaeto mostly stopped growing. It didn’t die, just sat there. Sort of wierd, I would have thought higher nutrients would spur growth. Now that nitrates are down the chaeto shows some initial signs of perking up.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You changed your username ..... that’s cheating LOL.

Sulfur denitrator has been awesome. Ripped the nitrates out of my system. Closing in on 80 six weeks ago, now down below 5. May actually have gone down too fast as I had a couple of SPS colonies go RTN on me. Need to check on phosphates to see where those are.

The other interesting thing is that as nitrates climbed my chaeto mostly stopped growing. It didn’t die, just sat there. Sort of wierd, I would have thought higher nutrients would spur growth. Now that nitrates are down the chaeto shows some initial signs of perking up.
Yep. Changed username to match YouTube name. Have this insane idea to create a channel that focuses on fish and how to help them thrive....tank set ups, husbandry, nutrition, immune system, collection practices and regional variants. Not much actually out there on fish on YouTube. Will see if I can make the time to do it!

Interested to see how PO4 reacts. Bill said that once nitrates are used up the bacteria will metabolize phosphates.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how PO4 reacts. Bill said that once nitrates are used up the bacteria will metabolize phosphates.

Hmmn, not so sure about that. I’ve never read that po4 is affected.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, not so sure about that. I’ve never read that po4 is affected.
I haven't seen it anywhere either but on a YouTube video Bill made that statement. It is on the Afishiando channel if you are interested, It is a reefapooza video from a few years back.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few measurements this weekend. Nitrate has dropped to the point that it is undetectable. Phosphates are unaffected. Not sure where Bill came up with the idea, but it appears to not be true - at least, not on my system.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had posted that link but have not used it myself. I do recall somebody saying they’d used it, but I cannot recall where I read it. Maybe search here or on RC.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the po4 out of the reactor
Took a few measurements this weekend. Nitrate has dropped to the point that it is undetectable. Phosphates are unaffected. Not sure where Bill came up with the idea, but it appears to not be true - at least, not on my system.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, largely unaffected. Did you find that it reduced PO4?
[/QUOTE
Not sure that's why i was asking . It was a while ago and I used the media that was sent with reactor . It was supposed to be a German based media , then switched to carrib sea who also sells sulfur media.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back