Summit Reefing: What's your biggest hurdle & what does the pinnacle look like?

Are you currently facing a challenging issue when it comes to reefing? (tell us in the thread)

• Yes

Votes: 151 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 79 33.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” -Greg Child

Sometimes we make mountains out of mole hills and sometimes the mountain is just really big! When it comes to keeping saltwater reef aquariums what may be a mole hill to someone may be a mountain to someone else! Today I thought we could talk about those BIG HURDLES we have faced or are facing and maybe find a way to summit some of these mountains! Like a mountain climber we as reef aquarium hobbyists have a goal, a summit if you will, that we feel would be the pinnacle of our reef keeping journey. Those mountain tops may vary from person to person but each is a goal nonetheless. Like climbing a mountain there is generally not one straight path to the top but a journey of paths that must be traversed in order to reach the intended summit. From one point to the next there may be a new set of challenges. And in a community like this we have the advantage of knowing that someone has climbed this same route before you.

What makes reaching the summit of mountain so satisfying is knowing that you conquered the mountain and you reached your goal. The best view comes after the hardest climb!

1. What has been your biggest hurdle when it comes to reefing? How did you overcome it?

2. What big issue (mountain) are you facing right now and maybe we can help?

3. What does the pinnacle of reef keeping look like to you? Serious question.

summit.jpg

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) Time, I no longer could dedicate what I used to be able to due to travel and a second child.

2.) My personality is one of progression and getting better, so I'm currently aiming to improve on my last tank after recovering from a couple setbacks since a horrific move. I suppose I could use a little cheering on to do it again since this hobby has a way of humbling us.

3.) Achieving a TOTM level tank for a third time. The first one was pre TOTM being a thing :) I must be out of my mind...

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently struggling with a lot of algae build up on the sand. Very frustrating. I stopped using carbon and dosing vibrant about a month ago and the algae started building up. I just went back to both.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Algae issues. My first go around with hair algae was a nightmare. I eventually learned to let it run it’s course with my second tank. My new and improved patience conquered it.

2. Alkalinity. My first issue was understanding it. I’m still in that beginner phase where I learn more about it all the time. Secondly, It seems like my tank consumes more and more each week as things grow and I have to constantly monitor it. Otherwise, I’ll get a big drop if I let things go for more than a couple days. I don’t have a trident or a dosing pump. Yet. So everything is done by hand.

3. Satisfaction with my system and the ability to be able to help others with problems. Part of the reason I never post is because I lack the expertise to provide input.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Figuring out the correct setting for my AI hydra 26 HD that just finished up "acclimation period". Worried I'll fry my corals (I have all LPS in my 34 gal tank) and one Purple stylo it's the only SPS I've managed to keep alive.

2. Alkalinity. I have to dose the tank daily with two part Seachem reef fusion. Upon researching alk issues I read online that swings/non stable alk c/b coming from me manually topping off my tank daily that adding fresh RODI can cause alk to drop. I just hooked up my new ATO (went with the XP Aqua Duetto) last evening so hoping this is going to help with keeping alk stable (@ 8.5).

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What has been your biggest hurdle when it comes to reefing? How did you overcome it?
Maintaining stability. I haven't completely overcome it yet. It always seems like something is out of whack. One time it is alk because the dosing pump tube went bad or the CO2 solenoid failed, the next it's salinity because the ATO failed. Then it's something else. There is always something that needs attention. Fortunately, the swings are small now and not doing much harm.

I have an Aiptasia outbreak that is kicking my butt. They are in places I can't get to without breaking corals. I tried a Klien's Butterfly. It ate my SPS and Zoas and completely ignored the Aiptasia. I'm afraid a Copperband Butterfly would do the same. I've considered Nudibranch but I'd need a lot of them and they might well be expensive snack for the fish. I am trying to add a Matted File Fish, but I'm having trouble finding one, and I don't know that it would do the same as the Klien's.

Anybody want to sell a good sized Matted File Fish?

The pinnacle for me (and my tank someday maybe ) would be a reef full of big, brightly colored SPS colonies intermixed, with Zoas and some LPS corals, that is absolutely swarming with fish.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: Yes! I need to get my tank up! It’s been a while in the making but I’m finally committing. Just need to justify spending a ton of money $$$

2: Nothing crazy, just dumb holes in my plan that have prolonged the time it’s taking to get my tank up and running. But patience is worthwhile.

3: Crazy growth, crazy color, and lots of frags!!! my personal inspiration is @Mr V . His 45 gallon tank imo is the best reef ever.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to do a full reboot due to bubble algae. I mean full... dump everything, bleach everything remaining, completely start over. Hard to do.. but worth it.

Hate to disappoint you, but at this point, the only problems I'm having are minor. Calcium dropped last night, but I'm expecting it to be back where it should be today... I'm expecting an erroneous test from the Trident. Aside from that, just working towards maturity... I'm about 8 months in now, things are looking very good.

Google 'Zeovit reef tank' and browse the pics :)

Cre8or30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently struggling with a lot of algae build up on the sand. Very frustrating. I stopped using carbon and dosing vibrant about a month ago and the algae started building up. I just went back to both.
I just bought my first container of Vibrant. I hope it works for me

ShaunPReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions. Background: 60 gallon tank with 2 clowns, gramma, chromis, and a small chalize, xenia tree and zoa.
1. My skimmer never over flows, and has very minimal skimate, I haven't had to clean it since Januray when my tank started
2.I have high nitrates of 70-90 and I do water changes everyday and no improvment
3. I never clean the filter sock, but it is never full, does that increase nitrate

drewbeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gal reef tank -- I have had high nitrates for many months -- ranges around 30ppm -- I keep mostly LPS and soft corals - algae is not a major problem - Phosphates are low -- do you think nitrates in this range is a problem??

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” -Greg Child

Sometimes we make mountains out of mole hills and sometimes the mountain is just really big! When it comes to keeping saltwater reef aquariums what may be a mole hill to someone may be a mountain to someone else! Today I thought we could talk about those BIG HURDLES we have faced or are facing and maybe find a way to summit some of these mountains! Like a mountain climber we as reef aquarium hobbyists have a goal, a summit if you will, that we feel would be the pinnacle of our reef keeping journey. Those mountain tops may vary from person to person but each is a goal nonetheless. Like climbing a mountain there is generally not one straight path to the top but a journey of paths that must be traversed in order to reach the intended summit. From one point to the next there may be a new set of challenges. And in a community like this we have the advantage of knowing that someone has climbed this same route before you.

What makes reaching the summit of mountain so satisfying is knowing that you conquered the mountain and you reached your goal. The best view comes after the hardest climb!

summit.jpg
Running out of room for coral

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gal reef tank -- I have had high nitrates for many months -- ranges around 30ppm -- I keep mostly LPS and soft corals - algae is not a major problem - Phosphates are low -- do you think nitrates in this range is a problem??
I'd love that range right now.
see above.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining stability. I haven't completely overcome it yet. It always seems like something is out of whack. One time it is alk because the dosing pump tube went bad or the CO2 solenoid failed, the next it's salinity because the ATO failed. Then it's something else. There is always something that needs attention. Fortunately, the swings are small now and not doing much harm.

I have an Aiptasia outbreak that is kicking my butt. They are in places I can't get to without breaking corals. I tried a Klien's Butterfly. It ate my SPS and Zoas and completely ignored the Aiptasia. I'm afraid a Copperband Butterfly would do the same. I've considered Nudibranch but I'd need a lot of them and they might well be expensive snack for the fish. I am trying to add a Matted File Fish, but I'm having trouble finding one, and I don't know that it would do the same as the Klien's.

Anybody want to sell a good sized Matted File Fish?

The pinnacle for me (and my tank someday maybe ) would be a reef full of big, brightly colored SPS colonies intermixed, with Zoas and some LPS corals, that is absolutely swarming with fish.

The nudibranchs worked great for me to get rid of aiptasias in my 180 gallon. I bought 15 of them and it took a while but, as advertised, they did their job. They do not work over night but they do work amazingly well.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nudibranchs worked great for me to get rid of aiptasias in my 180 gallon. I bought 15 of them and it took a while but, as advertised, they did their job. They do not work over night but they do work amazingly well.
Thanks. I just found a Matted Filefish for sale. I ordered it and a couple of other fish to make shipping not suck so bad. If that doesn't work, the Nudibranch will be next in the pool.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I can think of several big hurdles, living in Puerto Rico the biggest are hurricanes and the related power outages! Recently solved with my solar panels and a power generator. Another hurdle was a mayor water leek while traveling far from home. I am lucky to have good friends!
2. Right now my big issue is that with 64 years its hard to climb! Family members are not interested in learning even to feed my tanks, four of them.
3. After 30 years in reef keeping I am starting to go down from the summit! ;)

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes right now I am battling mild/medium aiptasia outbreak and a large vermintide snails outbreak. While neither issue is very serious they are both pains in the butt to get rid of. I recently bought some berghia nudibranchs and some bumble bee snails, lets hope they can help solve the problem.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a wheelchair user I have to think differently about how to setup and run my tank but fortunately I have a great wife who carries water about for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back