Sump Divider Question

bcfiskins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently putting in panels to divide my skimmer from a refuge area. Im actually going to put my refuge into an old bio media tower in which I have cut a few (6 total) 3/4 holes to create a little flow, but not too much. Will I need to use 3 panels for my divider/bubble trap, or could 2 down/up panels work if I put a sponge at the base of the panel that it up? Thanks!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 2 panels in my little 10 gal sump for my quarantine tank and its works great. I actually had the skimmer out to clean and plugged in the pump which caused bubbles like crazy. Once it hit that bubble trap they were gone. Do the first panel down and second up.

I did 3 in my bigger sump for my display...both seem to work great.

Also, I wouldn't put a sponge in there, it'll just collect debris and you'll need to clean it out often. It will work fine without it.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 panels will work to maintain a consistent level for your skimmer and the sponge should help cut down on microbubbles. However, if it isn't cleaned, the sponge will eventually get clogged up with detritus and could cause nitrate problems or reduce flow as it gets caked up, causing a fluctuating level in your skimmer compartment. If you decide to go with two baffles and a sponge, be sure to clean it regularly and you should be fine.

OP
OP
B

bcfiskins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It was really difficult getting the 2nd panel sealed on the inside, I was dreading putting a 3rd in. I guess the other plus is a bigger return area. Do you think my refuge idea will work ok?? Do you want very low flow in it, or should I cut a lot of holes in my tower?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back