Sump flow set up

Powersds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Red Sea max S 650 and it says to fill the tank up and the sump to 6 inches then stop filling and start the main sump pump. When I do this it drains all the water out of the sump. The valve was open all the way. Not sure why this is occurring. Any help will be appreciated.

OP
OP
P

Powersds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more water to the tank, started the main pump had the return valve open. The sump still empties as the water is being returned to the pump, but the sump almost totally empties then starts filling up. And this cycle continues I cannot get it to stabilize. I think if I put more water I am taking a chance that it will overflow. This is driving me crazy. And on top of this the 4 circulation pumps that come with the max S650 are making a large hum. I would think this is not normal....

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be just filling up all the plumbing, if the drain is large enough there's no way for it to keep draining the sump, eventually it has to find an equilibrium.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have a siphon break or check valve of some sort on the system but if you have that just keep adding water until it balances out and then make sure you arent over flowing rhe sump when you shut off the pumps.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have a siphon break or check valve of some sort on the system but if you have that just keep adding water until it balances and then make sure you arent over flowing rhe sump when you shut off the pumps

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more water to the tank, started the main pump had the return valve open. The sump still empties as the water is being returned to the pump, but the sump almost totally empties then starts filling up. And this cycle continues I cannot get it to stabilize. I think if I put more water I am taking a chance that it will overflow. This is driving me crazy. And on top of this the 4 circulation pumps that come with the max S650 are making a large hum. I would think this is not normal....
If it is a dc pump turn the flow down 10%, then go to the plumbing and open the full siphon drain a bit more so that the amount of water drained equals the amount of water being replaced by the pump

OP
OP
P

Powersds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a dc pump and I do have the valve to the drain back fully opened and this still occurs!!!

OP
OP
P

Powersds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be just filling up all the plumbing, if the drain is large enough there's no way for it to keep draining the sump, eventually it has to find an equilibrium.
I thought the same thing but it keeps draining faster then it’s returning.. very frustrated!!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would fill the sump until I had 1-2” of space left before turning on the pump. That way, you absolutely have as much water as possible in the system. As long as you don’t drain additional water from the display, you won’t overwhelm the sump.

OP
OP
P

Powersds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Red Sea max S 650 and it says to fill the tank up and the sump to 6 inches then stop filling and start the main sump pump. When I do this it drains all the water out of the sump. The valve was open all the way. Not sure why this is occurring. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks for your help, I did add more water in the sump and it took awhile to equalize it with the valve adjustment but I finally go it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back