sump help- with baffles and SRO 2000int

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to upgrade from a 90g to a 150g. My current sump is 30g, so I wanted to go bigger. I traded some frags for a 75g that supposedly was good, but found it has a leak. I now have a chance to pick up a "near" new 50g breeder for a frag. Is this a good enough size sump for a 150g display? If not, I will get a 60 or 75g, but my questions about sump design will still be the same.

I want to make my sump like the guy I bought my 150g from. Skimmer on right, fuge in middles, and return on left. I am purchasing a SRO 2000int skimmer and I've read it needs to be in 5-6" of water for optimal operation. I was planning on making my baffles 14" tall, but that would mean I would need to put my skimmer on an 8" stand right (skimmer dims. 12.5x8.5x22)?

Any help is appreciated.
sumpidea.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thin i would change on that design is put the 3 baffles on the return and the single on the skimmer side....no need to stop bubbles from getting in the fuge you want to keep them out of the return.... are you gonna have enough head room for a 8" tall skimmer stand and the skimmer on top???

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt the sro 2000 a bit small for your system at only rated 180 gallons heavy.?

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreewith troylee. The skimmer is fine for your setup.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I move the three baffles before the return, should I still keep them over, under, over? I was told to have the baffle before the return and under so it wouldn't be able to run dry. Also any comments on the height of the baffles? If I move the single baffle after the skimmer, then should I keep it at 14" or should I not have it so tall so I won't need such a tall stand for my skimmer. And yes, I do have enough clearance to remove cup.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you have a ATo evap shouldn't be a problem... So yeah over under over... I really don't like under over under it leaves dead spots in the sump floor and collects ton of garbage... As for the 14" it won't hurt anything as long as you have enough room for water to back wash in the event of a power failure...

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've changed design since I will be running an ato. What do you think now and how tall should I make the baffles? I would like to not have to put my skimmer on an 8" stand.
sumpidea2.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back