sump help?

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new to this, bought a used 90 system working on getting it set up. Has a Proclear wet/dry filter 125. I have searched and cannot find any info or even pictures of this. Does anyone else have this model? Looks like incoming water flows into a plastic tray ( that I assume holds a filter pad?) then over some bio-balls. The one I've got has the bio-balls sitting on egg crate with rocks underneath. I believe the rocks were not the original design? Anyway the rocks are very brown and crusted with some worm-like hard stuff. Probably best not to re-use this right?

voiceinthedesert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess the rocks were used as additional bio filtration. I wouldn't reuse them in their current state and it's probably not worth it to clean them.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a picture of the rock?
rock.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics of the rest of the system?
also were those rocks still in water or what is the status? problem wit keeping any media is you just dont know what you are going to get, good Bad or indifferent .

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a muriatic acid and bleach wash. Please research the process. It can be dangerous. I have done it twice before. It will clean off all organics. Then you will want to cycle/cure for a few weeks.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a former user of a wet/dry system, I can tell you, lose the bio balls. They are nitrate factories. I was using this type of filter with my fowler and my nitrates sky rocketed to well over 160. Took forever to get them down even with multiple major water changes. Using rock inside the 1st chamber instead will work better IMO. Just keep it submerged.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a former user of a wet/dry system, I can tell you, lose the bio balls. They are nitrate factories. I was using this type of filter with my fowler and my nitrates sky rocketed to well over 160. Took forever to get them down even with multiple major water changes. Using rock inside the 1st chamber instead will work better IMO. Just keep it submerged.
thanks will do

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back