Sump in garage, worried about fumes from car

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank in the garage really add that much more humidity to the already humid air (in Florida)? I'm way up in Wisconsin so putting a sump in a garage wouldn't even be considered unless you took some extreme measures to keep it insulated. Even with an attached garage, it's common to be well below freezing out there during winter and just as hot and humid in summer as it is outside.

But all that talk of the evaporation causing rusting tools and HVAC units makes me wonder about all that humidity inside the house. My tank loses, if I had to guess, a gallon or so each day, it's gotta be going somewhere. My house doesn't feel like a swamp, so maybe the air is dry enough that I don't notice the difference. I have clock in my house that tells me the indoor and outdoor temp and humidity. I'll have to see what it says for humidity, though I have no idea what it said before I started the tank a few weeks ago.
At least in summer the AC will be running and can remove the excess moisture from the air.
I am in Colorado and I have 3 tanks, 3 sumps, 2 QT tanks, frag tank and a tank curing "live rock". In the winter my humidity in the house isn't bad. In the summer I run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down in the house (also run AC). I have had issues with items rusting in my basement prior to the dehumidifier. I go through 30+ gallons per week in evaporation. My humidity inside the house is pretty constant at 30% in the winter. In the summer it will get over 70% without the dehumidifier. I keep the house around 40-45% in the summer.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Being in Florida, with a garage that is operated sometimes several times a day, there’s no way of keeping the humidity out haha. And I’m thinking that will help keep the air fresh anyway. My garage rarely goes a full day without being opened.
I personally hate humidity much above 50% which sucks, as I am also in Florida, so I run a dehumidifier in the garage. it allows me to keep a constant humidity independent of the temperature. which keeps my electronics, wood, tools, etc dry. It also keeps my little A/C from working as hard, as I am not using it to also dry the space.
dehumid.PNG

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to put a sump in a garage I'd build a closet around the sump and make a small fish room. It wouldn't have to be much bigger than the sump its self. A sliding door could easily give you complete access to the front. You could then install a window fan, one with in and out capabilities. I install an activated carbon filter on the one blowing air into the room. This would easily eliminate most of the gases from entering the water column I'd think.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said... indoors, the AC removes much of the humidity from the tank. In Florida, the heat in the garage also creates higher evaporation. I thought this was a brilliant idea when we built it. We used "Great stuff" to fill the holes between the wall. I was able to have a big brute for an ATO and WC station. It had it's plusses. Too bad that the negatives outweighed the positives. I cannot wait to be free of that garage sump. If I lived in a state that built normal sized garages, I would totally do a fish room. Florida architects build these mouse sized garages that do not leave enough room for a full sized truck - let alone a fish room.. lol

OP
OP
sreed07

sreed07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said... indoors, the AC removes much of the humidity from the tank. In Florida, the heat in the garage also creates higher evaporation. I thought this was a brilliant idea when we built it. We used "Great stuff" to fill the holes between the wall. I was able to have a big brute for an ATO and WC station. It had it's plusses. Too bad that the negatives outweighed the positives. I cannot wait to be free of that garage sump. If I lived in a state that built normal sized garages, I would totally do a fish room. Florida architects build these mouse sized garages that do not leave enough room for a full sized truck - let alone a fish room.. lol
Did you have it invaded in anything? I’ve got mine in this old kitchen cabinet. Gluing the doors to the front and hinged some edged board to the top with a hydraulic. I’m hoping this cuts down on most issues. I’ll run an ATO off to the side. I like the idea of the Brute for the reservoir

Attachments

• B9F04E31-A81D-4BB4-A4AA-C655DBE6706F.jpeg
    B9F04E31-A81D-4BB4-A4AA-C655DBE6706F.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 9634302A-6B6B-4FB7-BD03-E9541E8751DB.jpeg
    9634302A-6B6B-4FB7-BD03-E9541E8751DB.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 40

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have it invaded in anything? I’ve got mine in this old kitchen cabinet. Gluing the doors to the front and hinged some edged board to the top with a hydraulic. I’m hoping this cuts down on most issues. I’ll run an ATO off to the side. I like the idea of the Brute for the reservoir
Nice cabinet.
Yes, it is enclosed in a pretty hefty cabinet - it was even insulated on the backside. The rest was 3/4" plywood. The guy who built it was planning for an earthquake.

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to upgrade my tank and move it to a shared wall to the garage. I’d love to plumb it through the wall and have the sump on the other side in the garage, but I’m worried about the little bit of exhaust fumes from my wife’s car that stays in the garage. Thinking if I were to enclose it in a cabinet that creates a decent seal, maybe that would be safe enough. Thoughts? In Florida so I’m not worried about cold weather. And it doesn’t get stupid hot in my garage either. Any thing else I should worry about?
If it was me I wouldn’t worry about it ; you open garage ; start engine drive out

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread... I am finally a home owner again and planned to plumb my coming tank through a wall to the garage and to one of these:

I have seen some garage sumps in the past that seemed to work well. An added 100 gallons with a few bugs that land in it wouldn’t bother me. The rust is something that worries me but opening the garage a couple times a day I hope would help. I’m not afraid of using a chiller if needed so temp fluctuations don’t bother me.

It would just be a dream of mine to do water changes, testing, equipment, etc in the garage. I guess like the op I was hoping to hear more from people that have done it and had good results. Seems no one gives the go so it and it will be fine vibe....

OP
OP
sreed07

sreed07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread... I am finally a home owner again and planned to plumb my coming tank through a wall to the garage and to one of these:

I have seen some garage sumps in the past that seemed to work well. An added 100 gallons with a few bugs that land in it wouldn’t bother me. The rust is something that worries me but opening the garage a couple times a day I hope would help. I’m not afraid of using a chiller if needed so temp fluctuations don’t bother me.

It would just be a dream of mine to do water changes, testing, equipment, etc in the garage. I guess like the op I was hoping to hear more from people that have done it and had good results. Seems no one gives the go so it and it will be fine vibe....
So far I haven’t had any negative side effects. I remodeled my kitchen I I actually used an old cabinet to put the sump in. Put a lid on with some hydraulics so I can access straight from the top. 44 gallon brute can right next to it for ATO and everything’s great!

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to upgrade my tank and move it to a shared wall to the garage. I’d love to plumb it through the wall and have the sump on the other side in the garage, but I’m worried about the little bit of exhaust fumes from my wife’s car that stays in the garage. Thinking if I were to enclose it in a cabinet that creates a decent seal, maybe that would be safe enough. Thoughts? In Florida so I’m not worried about cold weather. And it doesn’t get stupid hot in my garage either. Any thing else I should worry about?
As long as she is not running her car for extended times you will be fine. I have my reef tank in my mancave garage for 2.5 years now and there are no issues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back