Sump layout advice

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sump that came with my new to me 125 reef ready. It was not plumbed when I picked it up so I'm not sure if the lay out for it.
The far left chamber panel, to me looks extremely high and close to the top of the sump
I'm not sure if I should use the far left chamber as a fuge or my filter location (socks by the way)
I'm sure that chamber 4 will be a skimmer and the last (far right will be return pump
Would just like any opinions. Thanks

IMG_20210717_160241991.jpg

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chamber to the far left looks like it would be an auto top off area. You're correct that its much too tall for water to pass over the baffle. So that's why I'd assume its used to hold your freshwater for your ATO.

This would mean that the next chamber over from that, would be your return pump chamber. By the looks of the baffles this should be the correct flow as well. So then, the far right chamber would be your filter sock chamber. The other two would be an equipment chamber and fuge chamber. It doesn't appear that it would make a difference which is which.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sump that came with my new to me 125 reef ready. It was not plumbed when I picked it up so I'm not sure if the lay out for it.
The far left chamber panel, to me looks extremely high and close to the top of the sump
I'm not sure if I should use the far left chamber as a fuge or my filter location (socks by the way)
I'm sure that chamber 4 will be a skimmer and the last (far right will be return pump
Would just like any opinions. Thanks

IMG_20210717_160241991.jpg
Well... I think you should be more specific. When you say "far chamber", are you speaking about the left chamber or the right?

For me it would be the left as my sump flows from right to left.

If it is the chamber to the left, I would agree with you; it does seem close to the top. But the good news is that it can be easily corrected...

A straight edge razor can take out that last panel. You can cut off whatever you think is excess ( I would do 2 inches ) and then put the glass back in place. Done.

Be sure to use reef safe silicon. Its available at BRS for about 10 bucks.

Nice sump, buy the way!

OP
OP
P

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chamber to the far left looks like it would be an auto top off area. You're correct that its much too tall for water to pass over the baffle. So that's why I'd assume its used to hold your freshwater for your ATO.

This would mean that the next chamber over from that, would be your return pump chamber. By the looks of the baffles this should be the correct flow as well. So then, the far right chamber would be your filter sock chamber. The other two would be an equipment chamber and fuge chamber. It doesn't appear that it would make a difference which is which.
Thank you!
Yes, I considered the far left chamber as an auto top off

I might just stay with that

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I think you should be more specific. When you say "far chamber", are you speaking about the left chamber or the right?

For me it would be the left as my sump flows from right to left.

If it is the chamber to the left, I would agree with you; it does seem close to the top. But the good news is that it can be easily corrected...

A straight edge razor can take out that last panel. You can cut off whatever you think is excess ( I would do 2 inches ) and then put the glass back in place. Done.

Be sure to use reef safe silicon. Its available at BRS for about 10 bucks.

Nice sump, buy the way!
Thank you for the reply and help. not so sure about the "be more specific" comment, as I did specify far left and far right

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to tell baffle heights from your picture. It does not look like water would flow into the far right to have your return pump located there.

OP
OP
P

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to tell baffle heights from your picture. It does not look like water would flow into the far right to have your return pump located there.
Yeah sorry about that.

The far right chamber panel doesn't connect to the bottom of the sump, there is a gap for water to flow under

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back