Sump Layout Suggestions on a 43 x 12.5 (approximately 33 Gallon Sump)

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably use this design. Seems to be a workable one from Marine Depot

Attachments

• Image 11-18-20 at 11.42 AM.jpeg
    Image 11-18-20 at 11.42 AM.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 23

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably use this design. Seems to be a workable one from Marine Depot

You will need a second valve circled in red, this will let you balance the flow between both the skimmer section and the fuge
Screenshot_20201118-094533_Samsung Internet.jpg
:)

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how the videos make it look so easy. I broke all the glass and was able to make one baffle that was shy of touching both ends but used silicone so I hope it will hold. Now I have to go out and buy more glass. Also putting the silicone on, as they say in brooklyn, Fuhgedaboudit! A hack job. lol

I had some thick glass in my basement but only got one piece out of it. The only thing I saw in Home Depot was 3/32 which I assume is to thin?

I think I am going to go with acrylic. I have been reading and it can be done. It is only two of the baffles I need and if I get them in snug and silicone the heck out of them I think it should work.

Never easy LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget Acrylic. I read that it does not stick well. The baffle that I made with glass seems to be working although it was a bit short, but the silicone is sticking and it is not budging. Since its only a baffle and not an outer wall it will work. I am also not spending another dime on this sump and don't care how pretty it looks LOL! My silicone job is a hack job :). So i am going to use the broken piece for the other baffle and just siliconed a piece of glass to fix the broken corner and then will silicone that into the sump. As long as it works I am fine. If I want a pretty sump I will spend 500 and get the Trigger with pretty colors :) LOL!!! The sump will be behind the all in the unfinished basement so its not a display piece. I figure this will last me for about a year when I upgrade to a larger and better tank.

Corner piece hack job fix :)
IMG_6108.jpeg

Baffle I installed was a bit short but now its not budging and solid as a rock. at this point i am looking for functionality not beauty :)
IMG_6113.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a plumber or a son of a plumber. Never really worked with PVC before so this is a hack job. But I think it is going to work. Did not really lay out the lines before had so ran into some issues and had to improvise. This is a Hack Job Special! LOL! But its all behind the wall so no one is going to see it. Still a few touch ups and securing some of the pipe left but I will soon fill the sump and see how it goes.

I could not figure out how to make the pvc pipes look halfway decent going through the wall but electrical plate covers worked great :)

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

the other side of the wall in the unfinished basement.
IMG_6264.jpeg

IMG_6265.jpeg

Going to remove the white rock in front of tank into the sump. It's left over from previous rock I had before going with Caribsea Life Rock.
IMG_6267.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back