Sump light

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good light to grow chaeto with because I just setup my first sump and I've had hob stuff with my other tanks!! I have a kessel a160 and a kessel a360we light for the tank that's 46 gallon plus the sump but I don't know what kind of light to get for the sump because they have red lights and everything and I don'tknow what grows chaeto the best. So can anyone help me out with this thanks??

Scubapro13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you want the "best" the kessil h380 is extremely effective. Been using in my sump and it growing my cheato like crazy. I was using a cheap 5500k cfl bulb before and its night and day difference. My local reef store has had very good growth with the kessil and A160 tuna sun

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compact florescent lights at 6500k, T5s around the same, Kessil H80/H380 are popular right now, PAR38s (if you have a tall enough stand to mount them at least 12" off the water to avoid hot spots). Lots of options out there that work just fine. I ran CFLs for about a year and then moved to an H80; had good results with both. If I had to do over again, I'd pick up the H380 over the H80 to provide more light at depth.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question I'm cycling the tank right now just started yesterday so I don't put chaeto in there until it's cycled right so right now I just have my rock sand and water in there right to cycle it because this is my first sump and I have other tanks but no sump with those

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this $15 Mars-Hydro grow light mounted 12-14" above the refugium and its growing chaeto very well. I would recommend going this route first before dropping $300 in a Kessil light...imo, kind of crazy and a huge rip off Kessil is doing to reefers charging that much for a freakin algae grow light when way cheaper does the same thing. Plus, there are reefers who can't grow chaeto in their systems and it would be rough spending that cash to find that out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...uDUYQFgg4MAA&usg=AOvVaw0e7MF7YK4aY2dY1WzHgLzK

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question I'm cycling the tank right now just started yesterday so I don't put chaeto in there until it's cycled right so right now I just have my rock sand and water in there right to cycle it because this is my first sump and I have other tanks but no sump with those

Correct...no chaeto during the cycle. Also, leave off all the lights during the cycle! Just let the tank do it's thing... I just cycled mine and used the pure ammonia dosing route... worked great and the tank is handling its bioload beautifully so far.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna use seed by auqauvitro because I've heard that it works good and I used live rock out of my other tank to help with everything to

Back