Sump noise.

rexf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am re-new (after more than a 10 year break) to a salt tankand have just purchased a new 75g tank with an internal overflow box and"Durso" style overflow that is toooo noisy. I have a 20g sump with inwater return pump that delivers about 120g/hr @ 4ft head and a in sump UV pump thatreturns abt 100 g/hr same head height. My noise begins at the overflow box with a"Durso" style pipe. I get water falling noise. I also have noise inthe hose that leads to the sump. This is more of a river flowing noise. I alsogot water falling noise where the water entered the sump which I quieted someby extending the pipe that enters the sump to below water level. Thisterminates in a bag filter. I also am getting a noise from the return pipe atthe anti siphon hole. It continuously spews air/water making a hissing noise. Thisreturn also adds a lot of micro bubbles to the tank and although it is probablya benefit to the fish it makes the tank less clear. I have attempted to raiseor lower the water in the sump with little result. Is my turnover rate too high?

Any suggestions?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to adjust the size of the hole on your overflow pipe (or clean it out). Also try messing a little with the height of the overflow and see if that helps. Beyond that I'm afraid I'm not much help. What is the size of your return, and what flow is it rated for?

OP
OP
R

rexf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow pipe is 1". I do not know the flow rate. I have found that a lot of the noise is coming from the hole in the top of the overflow pipe. I put a hose over the hole on top to act as a muffler and it helped. Didn't like the hose sticking up so I placed a piece of filter pad on top which helps. I am still getting water noise when water falls into the overflow chamber. I can look from under the tank and see bubbles as it churns in the overflow. I have placed some filter material in the bottom of the overflow to help stop the gurgling. Didn't work. I have also eliminated the spewing water noise coming from the return pipe by placing a strip of material over the hole which stops the flow from hitting the water surface. I think in the event of emergence it will still allow air to enter and prevent complete loss of water. It is still more noisy than I prefer. Work in progress.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

rexf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to rebuild it. The aquarium shop pre-glued everything to ease installation. Might need to try it though.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

rexf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen on the web where one had cut the top grid to allow more water flow. Might attempt that.
Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back