Sump on AIO tank

carterpaules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a innovative marine 25 lagoon AIO. I recently wanted to add a sump to the build so I want to get a
Fiji Cube Fiji-15 Advanced Reef Sump 2nd Gen with a overflow box.
Tank is filled with 2 inch sand bed and 1 fish

So my question is do i drill it? can i even drill the back part of an AIO?
Or should I just get a new tank?

Thanks

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the back panel is not tempered you should be able to drill it.

You might be able to remove the panels creating the AIO structure

I have seen threads where people drain the tank below where the want to drill and drill it with livestock in it

Why waste an opertunity to buy a bigger tank?

OP
OP
carterpaules

carterpaules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen threads where people drain the tank below where the want to drill and drill it with livestock in it

okay, so I could drill it.. I live with my parents on the third floor. water heavy

OP
OP
carterpaules

carterpaules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you happen to have links to ppl doing it?

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to double back a bit here. I think it would be best to drain the tank to work on it. Its going to make everything easier and take some pressure off to do things quickly.

Just get 6x 5 gallon buckets and everything should fit. Maybe even get a cheap 10g to run for a couple days. It's just going to be easier to work with an empty tank. I hadn't thought about trying to drill glass vertically. You have to keep the bit wet which is going to be harder/messier vertically. Just make sure the glass isn't tempered, it will shatter

OP
OP
carterpaules

carterpaules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to double back a bit here. I think it would be best to drain the tank to work on it. Its going to make everything easier and take some pressure off to do things quickly.

Just get 6x 5 gallon buckets and everything should fit. Maybe even get a cheap 10g to run for a couple days. It's just going to be easier to work with an empty tank. I hadn't thought about trying to drill glass vertically. You have to keep the bit wet which is going to be harder/messier vertically. Just make sure the glass isn't tempered, it will shatter
yea Ive looked into it. im still debating on taking the sand out or not.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the best way to drill the tank is going to be rotating it onto its front glass allowing you to easily access the back panel. You need to follow a guide on how to drill it, but that's a whole other discussion.

Depending on how much sand and how long you plan on working on everything, I think you could leave the sand in the tank. I would be worried about the sand doing the following:
Making the tank too heavy to comfortably work with
Spilling out of the tank onto the floor
Die off if the sand becomes too dry for too long (any thing longer than a day)
Sand exposed to the air is going to smell

if you think you can drill everything and install the plumbing in a day without spilling the sand everywhere, I'd probably leave the sand in the tank. If not I'd scoop out what I could with a cup and put it in a bucket of water.

OP
OP
carterpaules

carterpaules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the best way to drill the tank is going to be rotating it onto its front glass allowing you to easily access the back panel. You need to follow a guide on how to drill it, but that's a whole other discussion.

Depending on how much sand and how long you plan on working on everything, I think you could leave the sand in the tank. I would be worried about the sand doing the following:
Making the tank too heavy to comfortably work with
Spilling out of the tank onto the floor
Die off if the sand becomes too dry for too long (any thing longer than a day)
Sand exposed to the air is going to smell

if you think you can drill everything and install the plumbing in a day without spilling the sand everywhere, I'd probably leave the sand in the tank. If not I'd scoop out what I could with a cup and put it in a bucket of water.
yea all good points, i think ima go for it Saturday. I called my dad hes got more experience than me so we are goanna try.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea all good points, i think ima go for it Saturday. I called my dad hes got more experience than me so we are goanna try.
Good luck!

Take your time. Don't put much pressure on the drill, let the drill bit do the work.

Fyi, the plumbing is going to be more complicated and time consuming than the drilling.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back