Sump options for large tanks over 200g

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking gear and pricing out my first saltwater tank. I've been doing a ton of research, found a tank maker (Glass Cages) and I'm going to be running Triton, based off the info on BRS info and feedback in their videos.

I'm running into an issue finding a sump. I like the Trigger aquamarine series, but they stop at 44". I'm likely needing a 60.

With crystal reef shutting down, the only other purpose built option I've seen with nice features is from Synergy. And they are probably as nice as they look, but they're very expensive compared to Trigger. I'd want small modifications too like the filter sock options too. So that will likely bump the price even more.

Are there other choices without going MRC, Geo's, full custom, etc? I don't have a fish room, so this is going under the tank. I'd prefer not using a tank with cludgy baffles glued in either.

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an expensive hobby. Go with what makes you feel good.

I understand the hobby is expensive, and I don't mind paying for quality. With this, it's less about what the product costs. I'm really looking at value for my money.

A Synergy TS60 sump modified with sock holders would be awesome. But when looking at the price difference between the 44 models from Synergy and Trigger (since there's no Triton60 to compare...), there is a $235 difference before I ask Synergy to modify their default design.

With everything I need to purchase to set myself up "right", value is important. Primarily, my original question is to make sure I'm considering all available options. If Trigger made a Triton60, this would all be moot. I was also hoping someone knew of a direct competitor to the Trigger Triton offerings in roughly the same price bracket... that supported bigger than 200g.

U

User1

View Badges
Rubbermaid stock tank. 40 breeder. Or...pay the price for over the counter sumps. You are paying for labor.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally unrelated but noticed your avatar. I'm going to assume that you actually track your car based on the tow connection point up front? HPDE or just private or other? Cool never the less and another expensive hobby.
Its for sure a expensive hobby, Plan on doing a HPDE event but haven't gotten to it yet. Really want to get her finished in my eyes before I do more Track days.

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked at Life Reef but I'm not super fond of the fuge. I also can't quite tell exactly how the thing flows from pictures... Which also makes me hesitant.

Right now it's between Geos and Synergy. Geos would have to be a 48" and have a slightly undersized fuge. Synergy I can get their TS-60.

I understand this is a Triton forum so the default answer is 10%... But on bigger tanks is there a diminishing return on how big the sump needs to be? Would a 20g fuge with a good light (Kessil) and still maintain the 10x turnover be adequate at 250g display?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked at Life Reef but I'm not super fond of the fuge. I also can't quite tell exactly how the thing flows from pictures... Which also makes me hesitant.

Right now it's between Geos and Synergy. Geos would have to be a 48" and have a slightly undersized fuge. Synergy I can get their TS-60.

I understand this is a Triton forum so the default answer is 10%... But on bigger tanks is there a diminishing return on how big the sump needs to be? Would a 20g fuge with a good light (Kessil) and still maintain the 10x turnover be adequate at 250g display?

Why would GEO's have to be 48"? They make custom sumps at whatever length you want. Advanced Acrylics is another custom maker. Life reef is a great option as well if you don't quite understand how things flow you can always get him to make a custom sump with whatever layout you want.

Another thought is a glass sump... If glass cages is making you a tank, why not have them make a sump as well and have it ship at the same time which should save you some money...

There's also nothing in the rule book that says your fuge has to be attached to the sump, it can be entirely separate as well and just plumbed into the sump at some point.

Last edited:

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet aquariums has a 72" sump I believe. I have their 44"? and it's very nice. I think trigger might make them for planet.

Ziggy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on running Triton method you should look for sump with refugium like they recommend.
since you are starting from the scratch make it right!
I am using regular 75g tank as a sump on my 250g display tank.

Back