Sump plumbing (do you glue pvc fitting into your sump bulkhead?)

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to hard plumbing. Do you actually glue the pvc fitting into the sump bulkhead? That seems like a pretty bad/permanent idea, but I’ve seen pictures of sumps with what appears to be unions glued into the sump bulkheads. Maybe I am just nervous about it.

Thanks!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i would not. happy reefing... :)
wait for others to reply...;)

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't glue anything under the tank, or in the overflow for that matter if were talking drain lines(for tower style bottom drilled tanks). For external overflows where the pipes are all open, I would glue what you can, but leave the pipe into the sump bulkhead unglued for easier removal.

Friction fit is perfectly fine, and makes taking the pipes out much easier. Were not dealing with high pressure in drain lines. For the return where there is some pressure, I glue everything.

Upvote 1

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here I have a trigger sump and the plumbing going into sump bulkheads are just stuck in, not glued. Obviously everything else is glued with unions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't glue anything under the tank, or in the overflow for that matter if were talking drain lines(for tower style bottom drilled tanks). For external overflows where the pipes are all open, I would glue what you can, but leave the pipe into the sump bulkhead unglued for easier removal.

Friction fit is perfectly fine, and makes taking the pipes out much easier. Were not dealing with high pressure in drain lines. For the return where there is some pressure, I glue everything.
So you don't glue any of the PVC piping into the tank bulkheads if it is an internal overflow? I have an IM 100 INT tank I am getting ready to plumb.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a threaded/slip bulkhead for the plumbing to the sump, that way it can be unthreaded from the bottom if needed. Slip still there for the section of pipe that goes under the water line in the filter sock.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don't glue any of the PVC piping into the tank bulkheads if it is an internal overflow? I have an IM 100 INT tank I am getting ready to plumb.
Thanks.
I do not, but as others have said, a threaded bulkhead with a threaded coupler will work also. There will come a point where you'll want to remove those pipes. Whether it be t clean, or catch a fish.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back