Sump questions

Rosslikeaboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
So I’m upgrading from a 10 gallon reef to a Red Sea 250 that I bought used from someone. I’ve never set up a sump before as I’ve only done nano tanks, I have a skimmer and it came with a return pump.. what else should I run in there? I’ve been reading about the filter rollers and been contemplating a refugium too. Looking for a little guidance! Here’s a pic of what we’re working with

333EB942-6E8C-4A9F-9967-E86CDC3D1AE9.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sock filters are a good start (I like 100-micron but it does mean I have to change them out more often). You can either run 2 socks or 1 sock and a media canister with carbon and GFO. Or if you have room in the chamber with the skimmer you can run a reactor there as well.

There’s not really room for a refugium as you don’t want to run that in the skimmer chamber. I’d use some ceramic biomedia instead in that chamber. A UV is something else I recommend, and you can run that directly off your return pump (not sure if you’d need to upgrade the return pump as I couldn’t tell what it was).

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally only 2 things I would do for now.
A heater & you are going to need one that fits the dimensions. OR---
In the tank can be done if you don't mind the looks.
An auto top off in the return pump section because that's where the levels will change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back