Sump questions

Rosslikeaboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
So I’m upgrading from a 10 gallon reef to a Red Sea 250 that I bought used from someone. I’ve never set up a sump before as I’ve only done nano tanks, I have a skimmer and it came with a return pump.. what else should I run in there? I’ve been reading about the filter rollers and been contemplating a refugium too. Looking for a little guidance! Here’s a pic of what we’re working with

333EB942-6E8C-4A9F-9967-E86CDC3D1AE9.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sock filters are a good start (I like 100-micron but it does mean I have to change them out more often). You can either run 2 socks or 1 sock and a media canister with carbon and GFO. Or if you have room in the chamber with the skimmer you can run a reactor there as well.

There’s not really room for a refugium as you don’t want to run that in the skimmer chamber. I’d use some ceramic biomedia instead in that chamber. A UV is something else I recommend, and you can run that directly off your return pump (not sure if you’d need to upgrade the return pump as I couldn’t tell what it was).

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally only 2 things I would do for now.
A heater & you are going to need one that fits the dimensions. OR---
In the tank can be done if you don't mind the looks.
An auto top off in the return pump section because that's where the levels will change.

Back