Sump/Refugium newbie

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have never had a sump/refugium before as the title says. However, I'm looking to add a 30g tank to my 90g display tank. In my display my main focus is, other than the fish, are the different macro algae that I have. I wanted to originally make the 30g a separate grow out tank to hopefully sell macro frags and make my hobby somewhat fund itself lol. But, the idea of making it one large refugium so that I can increase water volume and have them on opposite light schedules to avoid pH swings has grown on me. I've always only had HOB filters because they're cheaper, work well for me, and I have no clue how to plumb tanks. I'd like to use a HOB overflow so I'm making this post looking for advice, tips, suggestions, etc. Any recommendations for which HOB over flow to get? Have any good/detailed videos or websites to check out for this? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason you have to have a HOB overflow? Drilling the glass is actually pretty simple. Scary the first time, but afterwords you see it's not a big deal. If you really want to do a HOB overflow you will need to get one with some fail safes to automatically stop/start the siphon. Someone on here im sure has experience with HOB overflows. I do not so I can't speak to that with an certainty. I did find some good information here:
HOB overflow guide

Back