Sump/refugium with no lights - what can I grow?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently transitioned to an algae scrubber instead of chaeto in my sump (and love it). This means I no longer have grow lights in my sump. In my mind I'd still like to make use of the sump for growing good things: pods, good bacteria, etc. Can I still grow these things without light? If so, how/what?

Thanks for your expertise!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently transitioned to an algae scrubber instead of chaeto in my sump (and love it). This means I no longer have grow lights in my sump. In my mind I'd still like to make use of the sump for growing good things: pods, good bacteria, etc. Can I still grow these things without light? If so, how/what?

Thanks for your expertise!
throw some clams in there! Not the expensive, they used to go by the name "cleaner clam"

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
throw some clams in there! Not the expensive, they used to go by the name "cleaner clam"
Should that part of my refugium that used to be chaeto be filled with rubble-coral or sand for these clams?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should that part of my refugium that used to be chaeto be filled with rubble-coral or sand for these clams?
I am not sure if it matters to be honest, maybe the clams prefer sand - but in the scheme of things I do not think it matters. I had some in a tank with rubble for a few years, but ended up moving them to the sump with sand because they aren't very attractive.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria & pods will grow fine in the dark. So will sponges, little tube worms, and other stuff that might reside on rubble rock. These are good for the system.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if it matters to be honest, maybe the clams prefer sand - but in the scheme of things I do not think it matters. I had some in a tank with rubble for a few years, but ended up moving them to the sump with sand because they aren't very attractive.
Yeah I see they are $.80 on reefcleaners... Maybe I'll buy a couple dozen and put them in there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back