Sump to return pump config

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
If you are running an external pump such as the older Reeflo Super Dart Gold, should you drill a hole into the sump so that the water comes into the return pump laterally or would it be ok to have the pump at the top height of the sump and draw the water up to it??

The reason i ask is that i currently do not have that side hole and wanted to know pros and cons. Thanks

20200407_150023(1).jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side hole puts a hole in the side of the sump (which can be a source of leaks) but it allows gravity feed for water which prevents loss of prime (unless the tank water gets too low).

Some people use submersibles to get no-hole with gravity feed. Works many ways.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side hole puts a hole in the side of the sump (which can be a source of leaks) but it allows gravity feed for water which prevents loss of prime (unless the tank water gets too low).

Some people use submersibles to get no-hole with gravity feed. Works many ways.
Thanks Kris, So you think this pump will be ok to sit at sump level where its at and draw water from the sump and return to the tank? I've seen some diagrams of it like that but they could be old and antiquated.

And i may get a dc in-sump pump as a back up in the future but this reeflo works really good at the moment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At the lower part of sump.(side hole)

1586287206735.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to always use external pumps (electrical cord in the sump doesn't make me feel safe) but I got over that since the heaters and powerheads all have cords.

The picture posted @vetteguy53081 shows the normal functional set-up.

The pump outside or inside will work as long as there is enough water over the intake hole to prevent air from vortexing from the sump into the pump. If the sump operational water depth is too shallow air can get pulled in and it makes a loud gurgling sound and will fill the display with bubbles.

The other issue that you need to consider is preventing excessive back siphoning from the return when the pump shuts down. That's a different question than you asked but I thought I would mention it now before you put water in the sump.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back