Sump water level?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay my first time filling my marine x60.2 and a hobbiest trying to tell me that the more water in the sump the better. his system when the pump is off. Is at the absolute max level for his sump. Should i follow what hes doing? Or should i fill only to 3-4 inches of the return pump?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rule is dont overflow the sump when pumps are off and this includes the skimmer water.
You want enough water in the return section so the pump does not create a vortex and suck air.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rule is dont overflow the sump when pumps are off and this includes the skimmer water.
You want enough water in the return section so the pump does not create a vortex and suck air.

What do you mean skimmer water? Whdn the pump turns off the water goes up anyway in the skimmer chamber no? So lets say my nyos is sunberged in 8.5 inches water. And pump turned off the skimmer chamber water is going up?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an external skimmer. When its pump is off that water goes back into the sump.
It does not apply to internal skimmers, sorry

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When everything is off on my systems, I had about 1” of extra space in my sump. Never had any issues with it overflowing. Plus, this gave me plenty of water over the return pump when running to prevent it pulling in air.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back