Sump with no baffles

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked literally everywhere and see none. I wondered to myself would a sump work without baffles. I know baffles are important so it can get through every single filtration but what if I have LR and skimmer on my sump and some mechanical filtration and probably add some bio balls along the way. Would that hypothetically work? Or would it just be not sufficient enough? I am new to sump and basically saltwater and just pondered upon this idea. I would love to hear all of y'all's opinion on this.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also BRS and other reefing sites sell pre-made baffle kits for various standard glass aquarium sizes. They aren't cheap but you could use them as inspiration to make your own.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baffles serve different purposes. Sectioning areas for chaeto, fuge, return while creating a bubble trap before the return

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make your own with some cheap plexi and some silicone available at most hardware stores.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
223DD293-03D3-4EC5-A4AD-63C6335A1FF1.jpeg

The Seamless Sump system gives you a dozen or more single components to mix and match— including many tubs with no baffles. Get a recirculating skimmer, and water level will never be a concern.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely use baffles even if for nothing else than the skimmer chamber. It eliminates micro bubbles and keeps the water level constant. While a recirculating skimmer can address the water level issue it does not address the bubble issue. It also locks you into needing a more expensive skimmer design.

As others said other purposes can include sections for mechanical filtration (and ensuring water flows through it), refugiums, etc.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning to just have live rock and a skimmer, I wouldn't see the issue. If you plan to have a refugium then I'd go with baffles.

If water level for the skimmer is a concern, you can always DIY a skimmer stand.

As for micro bubbles from the skimmer, I have never had that issue but you can always place the skimmer on the side with the drain so that the bubbles rise to the surface before making it's way to the return pump.

You can find cheap hang-on-back filter sock holder for mechanical filtration if that's your thing.

It is possible to run a sump without baffles. It just limits your options in some areas.

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning to just have live rock and a skimmer, I wouldn't see the issue. If you plan to have a refugium then I'd go with baffles.

If water level for the skimmer is a concern, you can always DIY a skimmer stand.

As for micro bubbles from the skimmer, I have never had that issue but you can always place the skimmer on the side with the drain so that the bubbles rise to the surface before making it's way to the return pump.

You can find cheap hang-on-back filter sock holder for mechanical filtration if that's your thing.

It is possible to run a sump without baffles. It just limits your options in some areas.
Thats what I was thinking because i am debating if I just wanted to have one lion fish just for display or do a reef but 8/10 i would just do FOWLR because it is easier for me since I have a pico reef tank anyways. I have as well petsmart’s HOB protein skimmer and yes i put it close to my drain before it gets to the return pump. Would you think this is a good idea to run with?

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was thinking because i am debating if I just wanted to have one lion fish just for display or do a reef but 8/10 i would just do FOWLR because it is easier for me since I have a pico reef tank anyways. I have as well petsmart’s HOB protein skimmer and yes i put it close to my drain before it gets to the return pump. Would you think this is a good idea to run with?

You should be fine. If you're doing FOWLR then the skimmer with the bacteria that will colonize on the live rock will be fine. Just make sure to periodically test your nitrates so that they dont get too high. You can control this by making sure you don't over feed the fish.

I would also use carbon to clear and clean up the water. Easy solution is the chemipure brand they sell at Petsmart or Petco. They come in a bag already. You just put it in a high flow area and replace when needed. Or you can spend just under $100 and get a two little fishies reactor and some carbon. This is the cheaper option for long term use. You can plumb it off your return. You might be able to find it for a better price, used, in the market place dry goods forum.

Either way your sump idea seems fine.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup you can if you don't plan on running a fuge. i have a few sumps with no baffles, i hear about micro bubbles but haven't seen any. in the pic with the skimmer you can see a black magic marker line, that's my water level line for the skimmer, the only time it changes is when i shut the pumps off for feeding. this does make having a delay box for your skimmer mandatory if it's in the sump to prevent overflow upon restart, i have a apex so it solves that issue. & yes i know i was over do to change out the socks lol.
IMG_20201114_211323740.jpg
IMG_20210416_172728344.jpg
IMG_20210416_172739046.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A skimmer stand does nothing at all to help keep a consistent water level in the sump and has nothing to do with the need for baffles. A stand helps adjust the height of the skimmer within that stable water level.

With the increasing popularity of ato you may be able to get by if using one yourself; otherwise you are going to have a lot of trouble getting a consistent skim with a traditional single pump skimmer.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer stand does nothing at all to help keep a consistent water level in the sump and has nothing to do with the need for baffles. A stand helps adjust the height of the skimmer within that stable water level.

With the increasing popularity of ato you may be able to get by if using one yourself; otherwise you are going to have a lot of trouble getting a consistent skim with a traditional single pump skimmer.
yup just like mdb said you really need a ato that will keep your water level stable from evaporation. i guess i just take for granted that everyone has a ato, need to remined myself that some folks still top off manually.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used to see more sumps without baffles, they are just kinda standard now.

I run a Rubbermaid 150g basement sump with no baffles. My last sump had no baffles either. Works just fine, no issue with skimmer the ato keeps the hight consistent and I use a laundry basket to container chaeto.

I made a skimmer stand with pvc to get the height I want, and the outflow goes right into the rerun pump which sits under and inside the skimmer stand, no micro bubbles. It’s been my experience most decent skimmers don’t produce micro bubbles.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked literally everywhere and see none. I wondered to myself would a sump work without baffles. I know baffles are important so it can get through every single filtration but what if I have LR and skimmer on my sump and some mechanical filtration and probably add some bio balls along the way. Would that hypothetically work? Or would it just be not sufficient enough? I am new to sump and basically saltwater and just pondered upon this idea. I would love to hear all of y'all's opinion on this.

Yes... seen them before but they didn’t have skimmers (although you could with an ATO as long as you don’t have macro to get caught in the pump). Was just a sump with massive amount of cheato.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank for a sump, no baffles. I used 3 cereal containers one inside the other for filter pad box, next to it my skimmer, then UV sterilizer and a decent size 1600gph return pump, ATO float valve, heater and high level water sensor. I have the skimmer draining into the filter compartment to save some of the nutrients, holes at top of filter box if filter pad clogs up the water will overflow into the sump, with the tight fitting cover makes it almost silent. Not pretty but it works. I have a 75 gallon mixed reef running great for 6 years now. This is 5 months after upgrade from 46 bowfront.

Attachments

• 20210205_185947[1056].jpg
    20210205_185947[1056].jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210205_185956[1055].jpg
    20210205_185956[1055].jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210205_190010[1054].jpg
    20210205_190010[1054].jpg
    157 KB · Views: 58
  • 2021-4-27 19-22-19~2[1251].jpg
    2021-4-27 19-22-19~2[1251].jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 71

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see by the varied responses there are a thousand ways to skin a cat in this hobby. I would say though if you plan on doing a fowler but are not 100% sure you're best off building it like you would a reef because it very well end up turning into one.
Also skimmers are even more important on fowler setups imo and you can find a steal of a deal for great used skimmers if you look around.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wasn't saying that a skimmer stand would help keep the water level consistent. I was saying that if the water level of the sump was an issue, the OP can put the skimmer on a stand to adjust the desired height of the skimmer.

I did forget about the ATO though. With the automation of so many components some slip the mind. Lol good catch. Thanks.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use baffles. Some of my systems might qualify as having baffles as they are assembled out of smaller tanks and where they are connected could be argued to be baffles that wasn't a consideration in the design.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a fuge in your sump then its needed.
I have a 120 and 45 frag.
Both have 40 breeder sumps with no baffles.
I run a Tunze ato in both and the water level does not effect the skimmer at all.

This is my 120 with a BM filter roller, Tunze 9430 dc, and Tunze 3171 carx, return pump, and a small reactor.
20210510_182840.jpg

Back