LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8589B53B-1DE0-4635-92EA-B5F71F3AF3CD.jpeg

23F54E2B-5D08-452F-891E-532D1541B2F1.jpeg

3007641C-50E0-4E6F-B315-8F688A1ABFD5.jpeg

Just came across this is the new tank builds. It looks like they are using a sump with no baffles as well. They do have a separate tank as a refugium though.

It all goes to show it can be done. Good luck. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a fuge in your sump then its needed.
I have a 120 and 45 frag.
Both have 40 breeder sumps with no baffles.
I run a Tunze ato in both and the water level does not effect the skimmer at all.

This is my 120 with a BM filter roller, Tunze 9430 dc, and Tunze 3171 carx, return pump, and a small reactor.
20210510_182840.jpg
Ok thank you so much! So in conclusion I can run my tank with a sump that has no baffles aslong as my equipments are complete and working right? Its reefable or it will be enough filter to filter waste from the display?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used to see more sumps without baffles, they are just kinda standard now.

I run a Rubbermaid 150g basement sump with no baffles. My last sump had no baffles either. Works just fine, no issue with skimmer the ato keeps the hight consistent and I use a laundry basket to container chaeto.

I made a skimmer stand with pvc to get the height I want, and the outflow goes right into the rerun pump which sits under and inside the skimmer stand, no micro bubbles. It’s been my experience most decent skimmers don’t produce micro bubbles.
How do you have your ato sensors set up in the Rubbermaid? I’m looking for a way to mount my float switches and optics sensors before I pull the trigger on a Rubbermaid

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have your ato sensors set up in the Rubbermaid? I’m looking for a way to mount my float switches and optics sensors before I pull the trigger on a Rubbermaid
I use the smart micro ato which is just a magnet so no issues there.

Nice thing is that it’s plastic so you can drill holes above the waterline if you want. I have not needed to do that, but I have drilled holes in the rounded lip so I can mount things like my fuge light.

Twen17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used to see more sumps without baffles, they are just kinda standard now.

I run a Rubbermaid 150g basement sump with no baffles. My last sump had no baffles either. Works just fine, no issue with skimmer the ato keeps the hight consistent and I use a laundry basket to container chaeto.

I made a skimmer stand with pvc to get the height I want, and the outflow goes right into the rerun pump which sits under and inside the skimmer stand, no micro bubbles. It’s been my experience most decent skimmers don’t produce micro bubbles.
I am looking into getting a 100 gallon sump. How do you keep up with evaporation on something like the Rubbermaid’s? I know you have an ATO but that doesn’t seem like it would turn on until possibly several gallons have evaporated. How do people get a good evaporation showing reservoir when using the large Rubbermaid sumps?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a 100 gallon sump. How do you keep up with evaporation on something like the Rubbermaid’s? I know you have an ATO but that doesn’t seem like it would turn on until possibly several gallons have evaporated. How do people get a good evaporation showing reservoir when using the large Rubbermaid sumps?
I just use the smart micro ato on it with an avast pump and it’s never been an issue. It must be pretty sensitive to height. It’s never been an issue for me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back