Sump won’t fit through front of stand

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You have to go through the back. This is how it was designed. I have the same stand for my 93 cube

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same situation, We cut the side panel and pushed the sump through. On the outside we attached a wood vent louvre painted to match the stand. It helped by venting some of the condensation from the stand.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand mentioned above was completely closed in, was the only option for that particular situation. It has since been moved to another home without issues.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the positive side the stand is likely sized for deflection it likely won’t fail in such a way that the tank collapses. On the negative sized the glass is also sensitive to defection and will crack. If you do try to brace it you will have to jack the stand to properly load the brace otherwise the brace will be mostly ineffective

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely just drain it down to a few inches of water and slide it out. Should slide easily on the wood floors and I’d be willing to bet that in the end it will go faster and definitely much cleaner than cutting out a chunk and having to clean up.

Gary Grise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to remove .5 inches from each side. I would think that would be ok. I would mark and remove carefully with jigsaw or sander. You could the cut new “braces” and replace say .75 wide. If you were careful and matched it would look intended. I would not move stand with loaded tank. That is more likely to cause problem as would stress stand more.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you go in from the side

lotus02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Needing a little bit of advice

I bought a new sump that is 20x20. And the door to my Marineland 93 gallon cube is only 20x19. I’m just a little bit shy of it fitting through the front. I would rather not drain the tank and move it to get the sump in (oodles of livestock) . If I cut a notch in the front brace would that vastly compromise the structural stability of the stand? What would you guys do? Pics of stand and proposed cuttage. Thanks!

709B74A8-CD2F-4EA2-9916-06C3EC939F6B.jpeg

BD95669A-1567-4B5B-AF8F-1F947A3F0B12.png
can you load a better picture of the front of your stand. if it the stand you show under your picture than that is just filler boards so they can use the small door and have door set back in level with the front of the stand. look inside see if you can remove one of the boards to get the sump in than put it back. if you cut it the door will be to small to cover the bigger opening

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. My gut was telling me to move the tank but my husband is/was totally against it. Now to talk him into it.... lol

Good luck, you are making the right call. Remember, most husbands will move mountains if the right "domestic bargaining" is employed.

livingcolors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to ask the obvious but are you trying to fit in the front or the back? Personally, I would drain the tank after you are sure it will fit through the top. If my sump had been a 1/2 inch larger, I would have been singing the blues

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another obvious question, but previously not mentioned (that I saw) - how tall is the sump? Lots of sumps are less than 20" tall. Is there enough room in the stand to slide the sump through the opening on it's side and then lay it down?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another obvious question, but previously not mentioned (that I saw) - how tall is the sump? Lots of sumps are less than 20" tall. Is there enough room in the stand to slide the sump through the opening on it's side and then lay it down?

This right here.

I have a 93 cube and threw out the stand for the very reason you are having an issue.

I just can't fathom, besides being cheap, manufacturers do this with stands.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not razor away the panels of glass from the sump and have it cut an inch shorter then replace the panels as it you're renewing silicone on an old tank? Measure first to be sure of final dimensions. My 2 cents...

RTab619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought... why can't you just drain most of the tank real quick. Corals can be out of water for some time. You would just need a good pump to drain most of the water out, leave enough for the fish. Quick move of the stand and then refill (without creating a sandstorm)

OP
OP
OPhelanK

OPhelanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of this makes me want to cry. Lol.

Why not razor away the panels of glass from the sump and have it cut an inch shorter then replace the panels as it you're renewing silicone on an old tank? Measure first to be sure of final dimensions. My 2 cents...

909C0B09-FC47-4251-91BC-91E71890AADC.jpeg

OP
OP
OPhelanK

OPhelanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sump is 20x20x15 . Entryway is 20x19. Even if I tried to flip the sump it won’t clear the doorway.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back