Sump wont fit in cabinet

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I live in Melbourne Australia and I am finding it extremely difficult to find a cabinet for my 4x2x2 tank that I can put a sump in.

I can get a pine cabinet but I do not feel it's durable enough and doesn't look the best.

I have found a really nice solid plywood cabinet that would support tank. However the 4x2 has 3 dividers in it. Two questions.

1. Do dividers in cabinets usually add to the cabinets structural integrity ?

2. How challenging is it to place the sump beside the aquarium at a lower level ?

I have all my filtration and most equipment ready to go, finding a cabinet suitable for SW tank in Melbourne has been extremely challenging. I appreciate any response.

OP
OP
A

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20221221-142702_Chrome.jpg

Photo of the cabinet. The 4x2 has 3 dividers.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cross brace it and remove the divider. That divider isn't exactly reassuring anyways if that's what is holding the weight.

OP
OP
A

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cross brace it and remove the divider. That divider isn't exactly reassuring anyways if that's what is holding the weight.

I haven't build much before. Is it correct to say the outside frame especially the 4 corners support most of the weight ?

Thanks for your response

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume but it's hard to tell how beefed up it is. Need a better pic of the underneath support to make a better judgement

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Waterbox systems... I think they have a 4x2x2.

Fairly sure you can buy the cabinetas a separate from the tank from those (Aquaristic Online do it at least - might have to look somewhere else closer to you maybe). Not sure if these include a sump or not.

Worst case you could always buy a plain tank that would fit in there and create/design your own chambers. Glass window places should be able to cut you out pieces big enough (might have to pay for something larger perhaps idk how they sell it anymore), just tell them how thick you want the glass etc.
Then you can silicone them in yourself .

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cabinet looks flimsy, but if it's actually solid could you just have a smaller sump to the left in the larger cavity and then use the smaller cavity on the right for a chiller (with added ventilation)?

OP
OP
A

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding building a plywood cabinet is it best to build a frame first with pine or just all round ply ?

Marine plywood is what I am looking at

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit to being biased. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I’m a frame and shell proponent mainly because it’s more likely to be successful. If I were to do an all plywood stand, each side would be a solid sheet with a hole cut in the front for strength purposes. I would likely reinforce the opening with an arch of pine but that’s me.

OP
OP
A

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit to being biased. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I’m a frame and shell proponent mainly because it’s more likely to be successful. If I were to do an all plywood stand, each side would be a solid sheet with a hole cut in the front for strength purposes. I would likely reinforce the opening with an arch of pine but that’s me.

RocketEngineer I just read some of the information you have shared regarding DIY stand/cabinet builds. You certainly know your stuff.

I have spent a fair bit of money on my 120G Tank and all the filtration components but completely hit a brick wall with the cabinet. My DIY skills are very limited and we don't have the range of products in Australia you guys in the US do.

I sincerely appreciate the advice you have provided and any help going forward would be most welcome.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A frame like this is super easy to build and you don’t require any other tools then a miter saw and a drill:
1671796630980.jpeg

And can look fairly decent when skinned:
1671796815987.jpeg

Personally I wouldn’t place a tank on the cabinet you’ve got, looks flimsy as heck and I would definitely look for something with more structural integrity.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RocketEngineer I just read some of the information you have shared regarding DIY stand/cabinet builds. You certainly know your stuff.

I have spent a fair bit of money on my 120G Tank and all the filtration components but completely hit a brick wall with the cabinet. My DIY skills are very limited and we don't have the range of products in Australia you guys in the US do.

I sincerely appreciate the advice you have provided and any help going forward would be most welcome.

The nice thing about DIY is you can work with what is available. Viking_Reefing made a good point in that the basic frame really doesn’t require anything special to construct. The outside can then be just panels. I’ve seen some stands where the front and both ends are held up with magnets but rest on the floor. I’ve also seen woodworking that’s way into master class. The options are only limited by your imagination.

If you have access to dimensional lumber for construction, you have what you need for the basic frame. Once you have that, a piece of plywood for panels shouldn’t be hard to acquire. At a bare minimum, paint the panels white or black as fits the space.

OP
OP
A

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A frame like this is super easy to build and you don’t require any other tools then a miter saw and a drill:
1671796630980.jpeg

And can look fairly decent when skinned:
1671796815987.jpeg

Personally I wouldn’t place a tank on the cabinet you’ve got, looks flimsy as heck and I would definitely look for something with more structural integrity.

I didn't end up buying that cabinet but the sad thing is it looks stronger than most of the cabinets I have seen. I was told by Melbourne's largest aquarium shop 9/10 of there customers with marine tanks are using pine cabinets.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back