Sumpless 40G Breeder First Saltwater build.

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So I've had freshwater tanks for as long as I can remember, and have wanted to have a saltwater tank for about as long. I came close to pulling the trigger 15 years ago but didn't have adequate space to house one. We moved to a bigger house 2 years ago and about 5 months ago I started looking into getting my toes wet in saltwater! I found Reef2Reef a few months ago and have been ingesting data daily. Reefing has invaded my nightly dreams! Everything I do needs to meet the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) standards and I can't jump into a $10K reef system (nor would I want to on my first go) without proving I can maintain a clean and appealing tank.

I started going to all the nearby local fish stores, and I'm in an area where I have about 3 options, one of those being PetCo. Now I've seen several threads about not buying livestock from them, and after visiting their store I agree after seeing the tanks. Anyways a lot of the gear I'm wanting to use is at PetCo, so I signed up for their loyalty program to save even more. I picked up a 40G Breeder when they went on sale again. I plan on doing a sump-less setup with a HOB filter and a HOB refugium.

Alright enough backstory, let's get into the build.

Gear

Tank: 40G Breader
Filter: 1 Aquaclear 110 (1 Aquaclear 70 with AQ50 pump, modded as a refugium)
Skimmer: Instant Ocean Seaclone 100 replaced with Eshopps PSK-100H
Powerhead: Fluval CP3 Replaced with Hygger Mini WaveMaker DC (1600GPH)
Heater: Eheim 200w
Rock: Caribsea Life Rock ~40lbs
Sand: Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade 40lbs
Lights: Corallife LED Seascape 35" Replaced with NooPsyche K7 Pro3

Planned Livestock
Darwin Misbar Clown pair
Tailspot Blenny
Blue/Green Chromis
Firefish
Bangai Cardinal fish

CUC
Fighting Conch
Mexican Turbo Snails
Tronchus Snails
Hemit Crabs

Here is most of the gear ready to go:

20221015_160738.jpg

Last week I decided to get everything set up as much as possible.

I decided to paint the back wall of the tank black and used some standard gloss black Rustoleum enamel. 2 coats did it well. I took pictures of the process but lost them somehow .

I built the stand and leveled it using the leveling feet and a spirit level. I'll check again once water is in there in case the flooring settles.

20221030_131932.jpg

I'm using the Aqueon class cover, but I may end up going with a mesh kit at some point. With the filters in place there is a small gap. I don't have my second Aquaclear yet, but I think once I install it, the gap should be small enough to avoid any jumpers.

20221030_160150.jpg

I started working on the Aquascaping and used some reef epoxy to hold the rocks together.
20221104_110114.jpg

Top View
20221104_110143.jpg

Sand Added
20221104_132405.jpg

I added the Water and set up the powerhead as well. Tested the lights, but I am leaving them off to let the TurboStart 900 do it's thing.
20221104_191122.jpg

If test levels still look good, I plan on picking up the clownfish pair this weekend.

Thanks everyone in advance for looking and giving any insight and suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I'm running a 40 breeder with 2 HOBs and no sump also. (Actually don't even have a skimmer)
Following...
How do you have your HOB filters setup? Is one a refugium, or just both filters? What kind of media?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have your HOB filters setup? Is one a refugium, or just both filters? What kind of media?
I just have Amazon pond filter material cut to fit into my 2 cheapie HOBs, so just mechanical,,, no bio media. Occasionally I run a bag of ROX 0.8 carbon (Amazon) in one but not all the time. (One HOB is TopFin 75 and the other is Marineland Penguin 50, both of which I just ended up with from prior tanks)

No refugium although I've thought about it. (I just have a softball size wad of chaeto in a soap dish type thing on the side of my DT -- not well lit so not growing too much but still alive after more than a year so it's consuming something).

Low bio-load (just 2 fish, some soft corals, and a bunch of inverts) and I've struggled more with LOW nutrients than high.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Fluval CP3 is a really loud powerhead, well it's not loud it just vibrates the whole take and any contact point rattles. It also only has one power setting (On) and no control. So I picked up a Hygger Wave Maker Mini (1600GPH). The Hygger is much quieter and has all the wave settings I was interested in for the tank. I'm not too concerned with the low GPH as the Filter and Skimmer move a lot of water as well. If I notice I need more, I'll probably pick up another down the line.

My water levels were doing great, so I decided to head to the LFS to see if I could find some Darwin Misbar Clowns. After hitting the 3 in the area up I decided on picking up a pair of normal Darwin Clowns. Meet Wednesday and Nico.

Darwins.jpg

The LFS had them for 3 months and said they were big eaters. They wouldn't feed them for me, but I decided to take a chance. He warned that they would probably fight each other when I got them home in their new tank but they have settled in and I haven't seen any fighting at all. I'm pretty sure they already know the pecking order.

They've been eating great so far and seem to enjoy interacting with us when we feed or watch. Very happy with this pair.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my 6 stage RODI unit last week. I was hoping I wouldnt need a booster but I think Im right on the edge where I need one. Im only getting 55 PSI from my water. Im trying to store up water when I can to prepare for a big water change if an emergency pops up.

Well the tank seems to be trucking along. I've been checking my parameters often and everything is stable but nitrates. I was wanting to hold off on using the skimmer I bought to let everything establish before I started it up. Well, since nitrates were rising and I started to see a cyanobacteria bloom, I figured I better get it going. I hit the power switch on the skimmer and water immediately started leaking out the back. I couldn't figure out from where, I checked all the seals and it ended up being the ramp/return that the whole unit hangs from the back was cracked. Since I had it longer than a month I was out of my return window so I decided to use some aquarium silicon. While I was waiting for the silicon to dry I decided to go ahead and order some inverts for my CUC. I picked up a pre-made package from reefcleaners and added a couple extra hermits and turbo snails.

The next day I checked on the skimmer again and it still had a leak but not near as bad. So, another days wait. Day three it was still leaking so I attacked the ramp from every angle. It doesn't look pretty, but now it doesn't leak and it's working fine. The cleanup crew arrived and I'm really happy with what Reefcleaners provided me. I don't think a single invert was dead.

I didn't get any pictures of the skimmer patch job, but I did take a small video of one of the blue knuckle hermits.

The whole crew has been making quick work of the cyano bloom. I didn't get a chance to check my Nitrates today like I wanted as we had surprise guests drop by.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe it's been almost a month since I updated. Life has been pretty busy lately. The whole family caught covid, so I've been running up and down the house feeding and taking care of everyone and every critter. Somehow during all this I never caught it. This did allow me time to work on the HOB refugium I wanted to add.

I have been dealing with high nitrates. I originally had a sailfert Nitrate test, but I wasn't really a fan of how it worked and didn't trust the numbers I was getting. So I splurged during black Friday and picked up a Hanna tester. This confirmed high Nitrates but not as high as I though. They have been consistently 15-20 ppm. I have been doing my water changes weekly and it will drop to 10 then slowly rise to 20 over the week. So I ordered some chaeto from AlgeaBarn and started work on the refugium.

I picked up a submersible LED glow light that I wanted to put inside the HOB filter, and an AQ30 impeller to replace the AQ70. I was concerned about lots of light leaking so I also spray painted the whole thing on the outside.

20221211_194813.jpg

I made sure to tape it off real well and left the pump attached and covered with a zip lock bag.

20221211_194818.jpg

20221211_195535.jpg

I had my doubts after the first coat if spray paint was the way to go or not.

20221211_213142.jpg

But after the third coat it was looking really good.
20221212_114933.jpg

It's hard to tell in this picture but there really isn't much light coming through the actual box. I did however do one more coat on the lid as it seemed to "leak" light from there the most.

I let everything dry and vapor off for 3 days. When the chato arrived I plugged everything in and I have the light set up to turn on in the evenings while the main tank lights are off. I didn't put any substrate in the refugium, but I did put some bio balls to hopefully allow some space for copepods. I also had a jar of Tig pods I dumped in the refugium as well from AlgeaBarn.

I've only had it running for 2 days and I haven't noticed a drop in nitrates. I'm not sure if the chaeto just takes time to established or what. I'm sure I'm just being impatient.

I did find out that one of the zoa frags I put in the tank ended up with a featherworm hihitchhiker. I posted a week or so in the hitchhiker ID forum.
20221210_141030.jpg

Although it is kinda hard to see on this picture. I thought this was pretty cool since my son was actually wanting a feather duster worm and this was the zoa he picked out.

Unfortunately I have had to get rid of my hammer coral it is bleached out and I started seeing flatworms on it as well. I decided to get rid of it as the process to revive it and get rid of the flatworms seemed pretty extensive when I have new corals on the way next week.

I plan to take more pictures and hopefully a short video of the new corals next week.

Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew it's been quite a while since I posted. Just did my weekly water change and felt I should post some updates. I know it's not a huge deal for many, but I just finished my first full bucket of Salt. I'm sure it will be the first of many, three months in and I'm still as excited as I was researching and putting it all together. Since there is a lot to update I'll break up the different updates in sections.

RO/DI:
As I mentioned before I was getting low pressure to the unit and decided to pick up a booster pump. Wow, did this make a huge difference. Not only am I getting great pressure (roughly 90 PSI) but this also cut down the time it took to make water for the week in half. It used to take me 2 hours to make 5 gallons of water, now I'm making 5 gallons in 1 hour. TDS is still staying at zero and this was by far a great investment.

New Coral:
In December I was battling high nitrates, but all my other numbers were doing good. By high, I was pushing mid 20s, but other numbers were in acceptable ranges. I decided that adding more corals might be a good way to get rid of the excess Nitrates. It was also a good time to purchase corals due to all the holiday sales and auctions going on. I went a little overboard and picked up 22 new corals. Mostly LPS and softies. So far I've only lost one coral and I think it was just due to shock or something. Unfortunately it was probably the one coral I was most excited about a Rasta Torch from AquaSD. Below is the full list of corals I picked up over the holiday shopping spree:

Pistachio Twist Alveopora, ASD Duncan, Teal Candy Cane, Dragon Eye Zoa, ASD Duncan, Darth Maul Porites, Klepto Lepto(faviidae), Frozen Leptastrea, Galactic Leptastrea, CV Rainbow Venom Favia, WWC Pico De Gallo Favia, JF DayGlow Favia,
ORA Mint Chip Pavona, Rasta Torch, Monsoon Aquacultured Neon Christmas Blasto, Laser Smurf Zoa, Ultra Button Scoly,
Pink and Green Hammer, Ultra Button Scoly, Neon Convict Favia, UC Poison Ivy, Toxic Lepto, Random Blasto.

Here are a few pictures of the corals.

20230102_173032.jpg
20230104_102805.jpg

Livestock:
I also added a couple of fish, and a new invert. I added two purple firefish gobies, and a fire shrimp. The fire shrimp hung out on top of my skimmer sponge for like the first week and a half. I was worried he wasn't going to interact with anything, but he's finally found a good home among the rocks. I actually witnessed him clean one of the gobies one day and he caught me by surprise, it was just like in the Finding Nemo movie, snatched up the fish gave him a quick once over and let him free. I really thought he was going to eat him the way he pounced on that fish.
20230111_182533.jpg

In regards to the firefish, I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have gotten two. I hardly ever see them together calmly, the bigger one is usually chasing the smaller one, but they are both eating well, and the smaller one doesn't appear to have any damage or be stressed out. If someone chimes in and can let me know if two for the 40 is too much I'll see if I can take them back to the LFS for a credit. They are beautiful fish though!
20230111_182800.jpg

Parameters:
Since I've added all the corals, my nitrates have been really good, staying in the low teens. Most of my other parameters have been in good range as well with the exception to phosphates and alkalinity. I've been worried about phosphates and I run chemipure blue, and I changed it on last weeks water change hoping it was just getting old as it was at the 2 month mark. I think I'm going to pick up some phosx this weekend and see if that helps bring down the phosphate. I'm not sure what to do with the alkalinity as most things I find tell how to raise, not lower.

Water tests.png

Invasive hitchhikers:
I had a spinoid worm outbreak, and a bit of sponge. I suspect each are from the the plugs I brought in with all the coral. I did do a dip on all the coral, but with so many, I'm sure some are bound to survive. I was able to get rid of most of the spinoids I think just by cleaning the glass, I did find several others on the rocks, but made quick work of them with a toothbrush and vacuumed them out during the water change.

20230122_130855.jpg

I haven't done anything with the sponge yet, but it has reseeded since this picture was taken. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't spread. Worse case scenario it keeps the pulsing xenia in check.

New tank:
My son has been helping me the through this whole process and has expressed interest in the saltwater side. He's always helped me with the freshwater tanks, and made sure water changes, and tests were done weekly so I feel he's ready. I ended up finding a great deal on a complete 10 gallon tank and decided to give it to him for Christmas. So far he only has one "Nano Nemo" and a small clean up crew but he's taking good care of it each day, and staying on top of his water changes. He's told me he's wanting to save up his money for an 80 gallon tank. We'll see who get's an upgrade first him or me. :D

Bonus pictures:
Here are a few more bonus pictures for everyone to enjoy.

20230129_184444.jpg

20230102_145743.jpg

20221231_115354.jpg

Thanks everyone for any input, and for stopping by and checking out my update. Hopefully the next update won't take so long.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 month mark update! I can't believe it's only been 4 months. I had quite a few changes in the past month and felt like it was time for another update.

Equipment:
About 2 months ago I found a great deal on a local swap and shop for an Eshopps PSK-100K HOB skimmer for only $40. It looked practically new and was only missing the sponge. I had been wanting to replace my skimmer as the Seaclone 100 has just been a hassle, and it took up too much room so I was forced to use a bar light that sat on the rim. It was however used, and had some buildup in the pump. So I did an overnight citric acid wash with powerhead blasting the thing clean and now it runs and looks like new again.

Replacing the skimmer did cause my nitrate and phosphates to spike until it was broke in, but now they are back to normal. It's also a much quitter skimmer than the last, I don't have any microbubbles anymore and it doesn't add any extra flow in unwanted areas.

With the old skimmer out of the way I was able to install a NooPsyche K7 Pro3 to replace the Corallife light bar. Setting up the wifi connection was kind of a pain, but I was able to finally get it up and running. I can't believe how much of a difference this has made.

I also replaced my glass lid with a DIY nylon screen. I've been worried for a while that the tank wasn't getting enough clean air, and if the light was being filtered through the glass. I'm not certain if these were valid worries, but with the screen installed neither are a worry for me anymore. Also maintenance is much easier as I don't have to clean the glass lid anymore.

Coral:
I lost two corals during the last month, the Neon Christmas Blasto, and the Pistachio Twist Alveopora. I'm not certain what the cause was to each, the blasto never looked great after I added it and the Alveopora just melted over the course of a couple of days. I did have a pretty big phosphorus spike during the skimmer change, so that may be to blame. I did purchase 6 more corals from WWC's eBay sale a few weeks back. (Dragon Soul Goniastrea, Graffiti War Coral, JC Pink Polyp Sylocoeniella, JF Outer Space Psammocora, JF Sunset Stylocoeniella, and WWC Funny D's) They have all been dipped and sitting in my frag rack for now. I did have a couple of brittle starfish hitchhikers on those and added them to the tank. I haven't seen them since however.

Livestock:
Well the 2 purple firefish ended up being a bad idea. The day after I posted about them picking on each other I called a LFS to see if they would take one of them back, they said yes, and I planned on taking them that morning. When I went to do the transfer I noticed that the smaller of the two was missing one of his dorsal fins. I felt horrible about this and didn't really know what to do at that point. I knew the LFS wouldn't take him at that point, so I hoped for the best and unfortunately he passed the next day.

I had started seeing a couple of aiptasia after the last coral order (not from WWC) and really wanted to fix this naturally and not deal with any kind of chemicals or pastes. So I placed an order for a couple of peppermint shrimp an Aiptasia Eating Filefish, and while I was at it a Neon Goby. When the order came it happened to be a really cold day. One of the peppermint shrimp was DOA and the AEF was not moving at all and was curled up. I notified the retailer, and decided to go to my LFS to pick up a AEF to take care of the Aiptasia. I wasn't expecting the retailer to replace the AEF since it was ordered during bad weather but they overnighted me one anyways. I told them not to worry about the second peppermint shrimp. So now I have two AEF, I was worried this would be a bad idea like the Firefish all over again, but they get along extremely well and hang out all the time. I'm almost wondering if they might end up being a breeding pair. I don't even know if that's a thing, as I can't find any guides about breeding them. Anyways 2 weeks now and I don't see any Aiptasia in the tank. I'm not sure if I'll keep the pair though as I'm concerned they will start nipping at my soft corals.

I also added a few more snails, Bumblebee snails (6), Nessarius snails (5), and Trochus snails (2).

Pests:
Like I said above I did have an aiptasia outbreak, but at this time I think the AEF's and Pepermint shrimp have taken care of that. I'm still seeing spirorbid worms, but not near as many since I added the Bumblebee snails and filefish.

Parameters:
I have been fighting Phosphorus levels for quite some time, the average over the past 4 months is 0.4, but I've had a spike of 0.78. I added some phosguard after I last posted and was able to bring it down to .21, which at that time was the lowest I've had other than when I first started the tank. So I added some GFO after the phosguard, and this week when I tested I was at .19. So I think I'm in a good place there. My Nitrates have been amazing lately (Between 7-8)to so I really feel like the tank is finally getting more stable (knock on wood).

Pictures:
Zoa Island
20230129_184444.jpg

Firefish that passed, you can see he's missing a dorsal in this pic. RIP
20230222_092103.jpg

Coral bridge I made from Rubble for my son's 10 gallon tank.
20230219_112341.jpg

Bridge in the tank.
20230219_112915.jpg

Button Scullys, cloves, and hammer.
20230304_185627.jpg

The two Aiptasia Eating Filefish hanging out with the peppermint shrimp.
20230304_185639.jpg

Mint Chip Pavona starting to encrust
20230310_164926.jpg

Tank with the light bar and old Skimmer.
20230211_201003.jpg

Tank with new skimmer and light.
20230312_185208.jpg

Super small video of my favorite area.

Thanks everyone again for reading and I appreciate any comments or feedback. Thanks for joining me on this journey.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized I haven't done any updates on the refugium so I took a few more pics this morning to show how it's doing. I bought a golf ball size clump of clean chaeto from AlgeaBarn and it has now fully engulfed the interior. The submersible light clearly is doing it's job. I have the light sat to only power on in the evening when the lights are off but the refugium runs 24/7. I did add some bio media and some coral rubble to the bottom of the refugium as well. Every time I look in there I can see copepods thriving as well. The nutrient export seems to be working really well as my Nitrates have been below 10 for quite a while.

20230313_083112.jpg

20230313_083119.jpg

20230313_083421.jpg

20230313_083425.jpg

Overall I'm really glad I did a filter and a refugium. I don't think a filter alone would have helped maintain the nitrates as easily. Thanks again for checking out my build thread.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a monthly update. I don't ever intend them to be monthly but that seems to be the case the last couple of months. I don't have any updated pictures to post today as I have been crazy busy the past few weeks. About 3 weeks ago I did my weekly water change and all my numbers were doing great, I decided to skip on week of water change and see how my numbers did to cut down on some salt costs. Well, 2 weeks turned into 3 weeks without a water change. This whole time I have not been making RODI water, and just used up my storage of Rodi for my ATO. So Friday night I went to check my numbers and do the normal cleaning maintenance, change filters, scrub glass etc. I realized my Phos was really high (pegged out the Hanna checker). Everything else was normal, but I didn't have enough water to do a 25% water change since I ran out of ATO water and just topped off my ATO. I decided I would get up first thing in the morning to do a my water change.

About 10 minutes later as I'm cleaning up my mess/supplies I notice my Skimmer was completely full of skimmate, and started to drip onto the floor. I thought that was strange but figured I just hadn't noticed it being full, so I turned it off and dumped the collection cup. After hooking everything back up and turning on the system, it immediately started to overflow again. I turned it off once more and realized the air hose had somehow had kinked or something and figured this was the cause. I arranged the hose, turned it back on and watched it for 10 minutes and it was collecting like normal.

I woke up the next morning to do my water change and started hearing my ATO beeping as I went downstairs.. not a good sound when I knew I put 5 gallons in the night before of RODI. So I guess the hose wasn't the issue, and the Skimmer proceeded to dump water all over the floor overnight, and the ATO pumped that whole 5 gallons into the tank. And the skimmer dumped at least 5 more gallons on the floor after the ATO was empty. I was in crisis mode, I knew the salinity would be out of wake, and I had water all over the floor. I turned off the skimmer and ATO, grabbed some towels and started to clean up the water on the floor. I started making saltwater right away. I then checked the salinity on the tank and it had only dipped to 1.022. Not terrible, but not where it normally is, all the livestock seemed to be acting fine.

Once the saltwater was made, I went ahead and did my the 10 gallon water change, and added some extra salty water to top off to what was lost. After a few adjustments I was able to get my Salinity to 1.026. I then yanked the Skimmer as I don't trust it a third time to not leak. I have a birthday coming up and didn't know what I wanted, I now know what I want lol. So I ordered a Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB skimmer. I think I'll be okay for a few days without a skimmer, and I'll keep watching my levels between now and the next few days until it arrives.

This was my first "crisis" in my Saltwater journey and I feel like I was pretty lucky and didn't lose any livestock. I'll have more pictures of the tank soon, especially after I add the new Skimmer.

Thanks for stopping by.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read! thanks for sharing...
I ran into similar issues w/ hang on skimmers. I ended up using an internal air powered skimmer for a while which worked very well. Once my tank was completely established 1 year. I removed it. Now I only use a 20micron water polisher filter once a week. That does the job.
I'll never trust an external skimmer again.... just me, maybe, grain of salt :)

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read! thanks for sharing...
I ran into similar issues w/ hang on skimmers. I ended up using an internal air powered skimmer for a while which worked very well. Once my tank was completely established 1 year. I removed it. Now I only use a 20micron water polisher filter once a week. That does the job.
I'll never trust an external skimmer again.... just me, maybe, grain of salt :)
Yeah, this will be the third skimmer in 5 months. I really didn't want to do anymore "upgrades" and save up for a bigger tank. Oh well, hopefully this is the last.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back