Sun Coral Care: Awesome Sun Coral pics and video and feedback about care ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more:
DSC06448.jpg
Awesome. Convinced, I will buy one :)

Anyone else another color of sun corals???

Andre

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking bout getting two kinds of sun coral. A yellow and black one. I run a slightly dirty tank (my softies love the nutrients and my LPS doesn't mind). I was wondering if sun corals were particularly sensitive to slight nutrient levels?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking bout getting two kinds of sun coral. A yellow and black one. I run a slightly dirty tank (my softies love the nutrients and my LPS doesn't mind). I was wondering if sun corals were particularly sensitive to slight nutrient levels?
So what are slight nutrient levels? ;-)

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't measured in a week or two, but I run a slimmer-less system so I normally have some level of nitrates. And I do bi-weekly twenty percent water changes and a bigger one at the end of the month. I was just wondering if they're like SPS in that they don't tolerate any nutrients or if they're like my acans which seem fine with my current set up. Sorry I don't have exact numbers right now.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't measured in a week or two, but I run a slimmer-less system so I normally have some level of nitrates. And I do bi-weekly twenty percent water changes and a bigger one at the end of the month. I was just wondering if they're like SPS in that they don't tolerate any nutrients or if they're like my acans which seem fine with my current set up. Sorry I don't have exact numbers right now.
Well, I ran dirty as well with higher nutrients on purpose and on my way back down.
While at no3 at 12-14 and po4 at 0,25 I did not see any negative effect at all. Actually lps and softies were doing great up there :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool stuff! Who's keeping these right now?

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8927BCE3-985F-4BD5-9765-D5164EA87F69.jpeg
DE8A324B-4A0A-4EEF-B795-7DB5AD2147E4.jpeg
C84AE31D-3EEE-48AE-85F7-DAFA5A3480F5.jpeg
0B2B465A-909E-4EA5-9FC8-7A989B95F768.png
I have had my 55 gallon reef tank set up since October 2013. I have tried sun corals around 2015 and couldn't keep alive. As your can see in the pictures below,I now have several Colonies Thriving. I feed mine Nightly with Artic Pods (frozen) by Broadcast feeding VIA My Sump. They open like This Nightly

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about a year now. I used to have several colonies that I fed every day and must have had over a 1000 heads of three colours before I became ill and had to move them on. The new colony was an experiment to see what they could do with just minimal direct feeding. It took several weeks to get it opening and feeding strongly and then I mounted it directly at the opposite side of the tank to my gyre powerhead. It's mounted on the wall so that when I feed the fish, the food gets blasted towards it. I feed a few bits before the main feed and it opens up and then grabs all it can. It's been 8 months or so since I even tried to feed it directly and it has grown quite a bit albeit nothing like the explosion of growth I had before.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my dendros a little better. More expensive they ate open while the lights are on and I'm around to enjoy them. They've already added 3 new heads.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my suns. I have them mounted higher, at the top of one rock pile, otherwise feeding them is too difficult for me (I'm short! And tank is nearly as tall as I am). Most times, they open late afternoon or early evening. Today, with friends coming over, I added a couple drops of garlic and selcon to the water. They opened right up for show and tell <g>. I feed them early evenings if they are open, or later if they open before I go to bed. They don't mind the higher light, are in good flow and are growing well. My nitrates tend to run between 20-40 no matter what I do and none of my corals seem to mind, even the acro and birds nest. I'd love to get them down to 10 though.
20170813_013132_resized.jpg

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4667.JPG
IMG_2953.JPG

Just wanted to post My Suncorals. Love them they really catch the Eye especially under Actinics

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back