NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alveopora has opened up nicely!

Nice! I am seriously considering one for my new system. Love the thick tubules. Watching it move in your video may have clinched it for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I am seriously considering one for my new system. . love the thick tubules. Watching it move in your video may have clinched it for me.

Glad you like it! What's amazing is how much it can retract into the coral skeleton. Here's a photo from when I first added it to my tank:

IMG_3536.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is crazy! Looks dead.

I know! I was worried at first because it took almost 24 hours before it fully expanded from the skeleton. It's definitely one of my favorites and I love watching it flow in the current.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp molts about every two weeks. I'm always amazed at how they can completely slip out of their exoskeleton, leaving it fully in tact including the very fine antennae:

IMG_3572.jpg

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My cleaner shrimp molts about every two weeks. I'm always amazed at how they can completely slip out of their exoskeleton, leaving it fully in tact including the very fine antennae:

IMG_3572.jpg
The favorite snack of my fish... cleaner molt. ;Vomit

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The favorite snack of my fish... cleaner molt. ;Vomit

I always pluck the exoskeleton out of the tank right away when I find it in the morning. The shrimp always molts at night, and I can tell it's happened because he doesn't eat the following morning (which is highly unusual since he's a glutton) so I know to look around the tank to find it.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people might be getting tired of all my pistol shrimp videos, but this one really cracked me up! :) The shrimp was basically kicking buried snails out of his front yard. Eviction #1 at 0:15, eviction #2 at 3:50.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the summer heat wave, I was struggling to keep my water temp from spiking during the day unless I really cranked up the house air conditioning to the point where I needed to wear a sweater indoors. I looked into getting a chiller, but I don't really have room in my cabinet and don't want it external. Instead I picked up a basic 18" fan from Home Depot for $32 and attached it to an unused outlet on my Apex. I was amazed at how quickly it can cool the tank, with the Apex running the fan only about 10 minutes per hour based on the temperature probe reading.

Here's the Apex code I used and found the temperature stays between 78.0 - 78.3:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp > 78.1 Then ON
If Tmp < 78.1 Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON
Defer 000:30 Then OFF

IMG_3768.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I could be sleeping, but instead I'm looking at my coral after the lights go off. It's amazing to see how some corals change at night. Look at the difference between my lobo during the day and when the tentacles extend at night:

Lobo Day.jpg

Lobo Night.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I could be sleeping, but instead I'm looking at my coral after the lights go off. It's amazing to see how some corals change at night. Look at the difference between my lobo during the day and when the tentacles extend at night:

Lobo Day.jpg

Lobo Night.jpg

Cool contrast! I love that.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing 2 part a few weeks ago, but I found that there wasn't enough flow in my sump to properly disperse the soda ash before it precipitated, so I have been manually dosing it into the display tank in front of the return nozzles. To resolve this problem I ordered a small powerhead for my sump and aimed it at the dosing tubes. I'm using a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6020:

208855-tunzenanostream6020-b.jpg
I attached it to my Apex EngeryBar and programmed it to only run while dosing. It works great and is super quiet, so now I can sit back and relax while my DOS and this Tunze powerhead takes care of dosing for me.

IMG_3786.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While working on the sump today, I looked up and was admiring the view of the reflection on the display tank water surface:

IMG_3785.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back