OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super excited about the new macro lens I just received. It's a Nikon AF Micro 200mm f/4D IF-ED. Previously I had been using a 60mm macro which was OK, but you had to get super close to the subject in order to get really fine details. This new 200mm produces way better detail even from longer distances. Here's the new lens on my Nikon D610, with the old 60mm lens next to it. Nearly half of the lens barrel is the focus ring, and it's amazingly smooth to operate.

IMG_3812.jpg

Here's just one example after playing with the lens for only a couple of minutes:

DSC_8274.jpg

Since macro lenses have a very shallow depth of field, it's impossible to get the whole coral into focus. I'm going to start trying a technique called focus stacking where you take multiple photos at different focus points, and then stitch the photos together in software to produce an image that's 100% in focus. Stay tuned and I'll post more shots as I get the hang of this new lens!

IMG_3814.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! So well thought though. Its awesome you're already having success with the corals, I've been struggling with mine!

In the very first post you had some schematics of the design, what did you use to make those?

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I'm really enjoying the corals.

Those drawings were made in Microsoft Visio. I normally use it to document computer networks, but it's a great all-around drawing tool.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those drawings were made in Microsoft Visio. I normally use it to document computer networks, but it's a great all-around drawing tool.
Awesome we run that at work as well, looks like I won't be getting much work done now ;Joyful

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been trying to play with this design stuff in Visio... I've come to realize I have no idea what I'm doing ;Hilarious any suggestions/tips on how you did yours? Specifically looking to design the sump/stand.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to play with this design stuff in Visio... I've come to realize I have no idea what I'm doing ;Hilarious any suggestions/tips on how you did yours? Specifically looking to design the sump/stand.

I've been using Visio for over 15 years, so it's just second nature for me. But I can imagine starting from scratch would be difficult. There are probably a lot of other drawing tools out there that might be easier to get started. (perhaps Google SketchUp?)

Regardless of what drawing tool you are using, here are some basic guidelines:

1. Use exact dimensions for every item you're designing with. For example, my sump is 27-1/2" wide, but due to the glass thickness the inside width of the sump area is only 26-3/4" wide. So when I'm sketching where my skimmer and reactors will fit, I'm taking that glass thickness into account.
  2. Look for stencils to see if somebody has already designed an object rather than re-inventing the wheel. I was really hoping to find some PVC plumbing stencils, but never found them.
  3. Glue objects together, so if you move something the glued objects will move along with it.
  4. Zoom way in when drawing small objects so you can see exactly what you're doing.
Sorry if this is very vague, but conveying 15 years of Visio experience is beyond the scope of this build thread. :)

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been experimenting with focus stacking software from Helicon Software to capture macro photos of corals in focus across the entire image. Normally macro photos only show a small area of the image in focus. Image stacking involves taking multiple photos at different focus points, then processing each photo through software to stitch them together into a single image where everything is in focus. As an example, here's a single macro photo where the focus is set near the front of the object:

Example1.png
And here is a rendered image comprised of 10 photos to show the entire object in focus:
Example2.png

Using this technique I captured a very detailed image of my lobo fully in focus:
(click the photo to view the full resolution detailed image)
Lobo A copy.jpg

I'm still working out the kinks on this technique, but so far I'm enjoying the results.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a nice little favia frag today. I love the colors!

I'll have to wait until my wife returns from a trip with our good camera before I can get a detailed macro shot.

DSC_4984.JPG

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I can't imagine getting an even better shot, that looks amazing!

Yes, believe it or not, this shot is not even close to the level of detail I can capture. This shot was made with a Nikon D80 camera which has a 10 megapixel sensor. My Nikon D610 (which my wife took on her trip to Africa) has a 24 MP sensor. In addition, the recent macro shots I've been posting are using focus stacking technology to combine multiple photos taken at different focus points so the entire coral is in focus from front to back, and at extremely close detail. The D80 isn't compatible with my focus stacking software, so for now I'm just doing single shots that are not fully in focus, and are not at the highest resolution.

When she returns with the D610 camera in a couple weeks, I'll do a comparison shot to show the difference.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, believe it or not, this shot is not even close to the level of detail I can capture. This shot was made with a Nikon D80 camera which has a 10 megapixel sensor. My Nikon D610 (which my wife took on her trip to Africa) has a 24 MP sensor. In addition, the recent macro shots I've been posting are using focus stacking technology to combine multiple photos taken at different focus points so the entire coral is in focus from front to back, and at extremely close detail. The D80 isn't compatible with my focus stacking software, so for now I'm just doing single shots that are not fully in focus, and are not at the highest resolution.

When she returns with the D610 camera in a couple weeks, I'll do a comparison shot to show the difference.

Just curious, how long does the process take with the photo stacking? It seems the Lobo was a first attempt, But how long for that one? Are you manually, painstakingly creating the image or is software accomplishing the overall final focus?

Thanks!

EDIT: never mind. Just reread the original post on this. Sounds like the software gets it done itself.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back