OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added these MarinePure "Gems" to my filter cups to keep the filter fiber from sinking down too far. They are a nice size, but I was disappointed to see how few are included in the small package. I might need to get a second package to fill the bottom of the cups to the level I want.

IMG_4118.jpg

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a leak where you did for the aqua uv. I ordered an extra two inch union just in case. I had 3 drips in maybe 24 hours. I just stuck some primer/pvc cement in there and so far it’s holding up just fine. Should of done the vacuum idea lol. Can’t belive it was 17 bucks with shipping :eek:

Awesome build! Can’t wait to see this Aquarium grow!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking great @SuncrestReef. I see a lot of people using pond matrix or marine pure balls.
Would using reef rock rubble has the same effect?
Maybe I’m confused why many use it. I see in your case it was just a filler to hold your filter up

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally set up a quarantine tank. When I first set up my Reefer XL 425 about 6 months ago, I stocked it quickly with several fish and a cleanup crew, but I didn't bother quarantining anything because there wasn't that much in the tank at risk. Now, months later and 45+ corals later with everything healthy, I'm more paranoid that anything new could screw things up.

I picked up a basic 20 gallon long tank, lid, LED light, HOB filter and heater. I have an 8" block of MarinePure that's been in my sump for several months that I'll place in the QT for a bacteria population, and I'll add a few PVC elbows for hiding places. This week I plan to get a couple more fish to round out my collection and put them into QT. In particular, I'm looking forward to getting a kole tang to tackle my green wire algae after going through quarantine. I'll also use the QT for future corals.

This is something I've been meaning to do for some time, so it feels like a sense of relief to finally set it up.

IMG_4187.jpg

(it's funny how the power strip appears to be underwater in this shot, but it's actually behind the tank)

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally set up a quarantine tank. When I first set up my Reefer XL 425 about 6 months ago, I stocked it quickly with several fish and a cleanup crew, but I didn't bother quarantining anything because there wasn't that much in the tank at risk. Now, months later and 45+ corals later with everything healthy, I'm more paranoid that anything new could screw things up.

I picked up a basic 20 gallon long tank, lid, LED light, HOB filter and heater. I have an 8" block on MarinePure that's been in my sump for several months that I'll place in the QT for a bacteria population, and I'll add a few PVC elbows for hiding places. This week I plan to get a couple more fish to round out my collection and put them into QT. In particular, I'm looking forward to getting a kole tang to tackle my green wire algae after going through quarantine. I'll also use the QT for future corals.

This is something I've been meaning to do for some time, so it feels like a sense of relief to finally set it up.

IMG_4187.jpg

(it's funny how the power strip appears to be underwater in this shot, but it's actually behind the tank)

^ I get this. My tanks is pretty new. I did not quarantine anything. Now that I have some life and money invested, I am a bit more paranoid about it.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I ordered a whole-house standby generator, and we're finally getting close to the installation. Today my gas meter was upgraded to handle the needed capacity and connected to the new pipe that will fuel the generator. The generator should be delivered next week and final installation sometime in the next couple weeks!

My Reefer has a small UPS battery that can run all the equipment for about 2 minutes during a power outage. This will keep my Apex, pumps, and lights running during the brief time needed for the generator to fire up and transfer over to backup power. This will all happen automatically and will not require any intervention on my part. This will be a great sense of relief knowing we usually have a couple of power outages every winter.

Old gas meter:
IMG_4246.jpg

New gas meter:
IMG_4247.jpg

This is the 22kW generator I ordered:
generac-home-generator_guardian-22kw_7042_hero.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sad to announce that my maxima clam died today. This was my first clam and I only had it for about 3 weeks. It seemed to be doing fine until two days ago when I noticed it was expelling long strands of brownish-clear mucus. I thought it may be due to long sweeper tentacles from a nearby coral, so I moved it over about an inch to be out of reach. The next day the mantle had receded a bit and the mucus continued. Today, I found it completely gaping and unresponsive.

I’ve been diligent about testing water parameters every day and saw nothing out of ordinary:
  • Temp = 78 F
  • Salinity = 1.026
  • pH = 8.0 - 8.2
  • Alk = 8.1 dKH
  • Cal = 420 ppm
  • Mag = 1320 ppm
  • NO3 = 2 ppm
  • PO4 = 0.05 ppm
I inspected the clam carefully the day I got it to look for pyramid snails or any other potential problems, but it was clean. Its foot was in tact and I had it on a small rock on the sand bed for several days before moving it up onto the rocks for better lighting where it was at about 300 PAR. For several weeks it looked happy, had good mantle extension, and reacted to movements or shadows.

I have no idea what went wrong. Everything else in my tank is thriving and healthy. After its death I inspected it again and did not find any parasites. The only issue I currently have is a bit of macro & bubble algae on the rocks, but as you can see from my parameters nothing seems out of line.

I’m chalking this up to “mysterious clam death” that many people seem to report, and I’ll likely never know what caused it. I think I’ll wait a long while before I consider it I’ll get another clam or if I’ll just stick with corals & fish. I’m pretty bummed about this.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the clam ☹️.

I started with a deresa a few months ago. I want to work up to a maxima but I’m a bit nervous about it.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two blue chromis have taken to one of my stylophora colonies. They spend about an hour hanging out in the coral as the lights dim for the night. My clowns still won't go near my BTA, but at least these two have found a nice home!

IMG_4278.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The generator was delivered today! I have to wait until next Tuesday for the electrician to install the transfer switch and make the final connections, but at least we're getting close.

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

IMG_4293.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an incredibly detailed thread and a joy to read! One take away from all of it is, I'm apparently in the wrong business, well done!

Thanks! I'm always glad to hear when people find value (or simply entertainment) from reading my build thread.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The generac is a great idea! I am thinking about doing the same thing after going through two hurricanes in the past month. Tonight we have another 500,000 people without power here in NC because Michael just went through here a few hours ago. I only have a APC UPS that will run one powerhead for about 8 hrs just for some continuous flow. After this hurricane season, one of those Generacs is on my short list. Good luck!!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The generac is a great idea! I am thinking about doing the same thing after going through two hurricanes in the past month. Tonight we have another 500,000 people without power here in NC. I only have a APC UPS that will run one powerhead for about 8 hrs just for some continuous flow. After this hurricane season, one of those Generacs is on my short list. Good luck!!

I'm thankful I don't live in hurricane or tornado prone areas, and feel badly for those affected by these storms. In my area (NW Oregon), the most common power outages are caused by winter ice or wind storms. There's rarely any damage to structures or loss of life, but the inconvenience of power loss is frequent enough to justify buying this generator.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back