U

User1

View Badges
It took my clowns 10 months to figure out that they would like the anemone! I had just about given up hope, then for some unknown reason they moved in. Now they won’t leave it!

I guess the only advice I can give is just be patient.

Similar experience here also. Our original rose bubble tip was in my sons 29 gallon bio cube. He added a pair of black / white true percula (i believe they are true, could have been false but this was almost 10 years ago). Anyway he thought they would go right for it but they didn't. They went everywhere but. Some reading, some time, some more reading, and we sort of came to the conclusion that they may not pair up or be allowed to host in the RBTA. One month, two. Then my son left a note on the tank hoping maybe one of them could read and say that the keys to the new home (RBTA) was under a rock on the left. That didn't work. Month three, four. BTA split and now we have two. Didn't seem to help any and by now we are 7 or 8 months in and my son draws a picture this time thinking maybe they do sign language or needed a visual. Didn't seem to help.

About a month later the larger one was in the original BTA while the other wasn't. It was more friendly with a hammer coral. Another week went by then we saw them both in the bta's rotating between them. Two rbta's is too much in the 29 gallon bio cube so we setup another one. This sort of went back and forth over the next 6 years until we merged everything into a 40 breeder. 14 or so BTA's later the clowns continued to host in what we believe was the original. They are now in a 210 gallon upgrade but we have since reduced the BTA's to a more manageable 7.

I've read some people, and seen videos, of people using a 5 - 6" piece of PVC or Acrylic and point one end at the BTA the other end dump the fish. I'm not a fan of this approach because the nem has to be ok with it. No...means no. And if the fish doesn't react properly to no then it can be food or killed due to a nasty sting it wasn't expecting.

My suggestion is reading up on what nem type you want to keep and their respected hosted fish. Do some reading and when you find one that works for you buy and give them time. Chances they will bond over time. BTA's and percula's have a good rep. However, I cannot speak for the designer fish.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your trident set 8.2 for the ALK

Yes, my targets are:

Alk: 8.20 dKH
Cal: 420 ppm
Mag: 1350 ppm

Here are my Trident Control settings:

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 3.59.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 3.59.56 PM.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm meeting with some construction companies next week to go over my room addition plans and to get some bids for the project. I started mapping out the floorplan on the deck where the new room will be. It looks like I should have plenty of room to work with.

IMG_8140.jpg

IMG_8141.jpg

Picture1.jpg

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a lovely yard and landscape in the background. That deck looks super nice! I'm looking forward to seeing your project unfold. You must be really excited to see that all come together.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a lovely yard and landscape in the background. That deck looks super nice! I'm looking forward to seeing your project unfold. You must be really excited to see that all come together.

Thanks! Yes, we love our yard. We're lucky to have a flat one acre lot with tons of room for the dog to run and for lawn games while entertaining guests. The new larger deck will make it even better!

65E44150-6A53-4461-829E-9C8A477325E2.thumb.png.0de86b79ecc143cc88c97f2c74ce20a1.png

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, really nice. Looks like a place one can truly relax!

How come you have those shrubs fenced in, by the way? Is that for security?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, really nice. Looks like a place one can truly relax!

How come you have those shrubs fenced in, by the way? Is that for security?

That's for our dog. The property has no perimeter fences, so this allows him to use his doggie door to go outside unattended.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updated full-tank iPhone photos from today. The stag at the top is within 1/4" of the water surface now!

IMG_8156.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

Water parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 77.9 - 78.1 F
pH: 8.0 - 8.3
Alkalinity: 8.20 dKH +/- 0.10 daily
Calcium: 420 ppm +/- 20 daily
Magnesium: 1350 ppm +/- 20 daily
Nitrate: 12 ppm
Phospohate: 0.04 ppm

Dosing BRS 2-part, controlled by Trident.

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.44.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.45.01 PM.png

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Would you mind sharing some information about your UV sterilizer? Are you still using it?

I am interested in adding the Aqua UV 25 watt to my system but there's a few quirks. It's 22 inches long, and has a wiper mechanism that extends 16". I'm not sure the best way to mount this model so I hope you don't mind sharing your advice?

One option is to mount the UV sterilizer to the side of the red sea cabinet, so that the wiper mechanism can be pulled outwards with the cabinet door opened. One challenge with this method is that the bulb goes in the other side, so to replace the bulb I would need to dismount the UV system. Is that how you perform this task? Is it cumbersome to do?

A second option is to mount it to the ceiling of the cabinet lengthwise, so that I have more room to fit everything. I don't think this will leave me enough room to operate the wiper mechanism though.

I am thinking of adding this to my system to assist with parasite control. Curious what your thoughts on that subject would be as well.

Thank you in advance! Hope you don't mind the questions & sharing your opinion.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Would you mind sharing some information about your UV sterilizer? Are you still using it?

I am interested in adding the Aqua UV 25 watt to my system but there's a few quirks. It's 22 inches long, and has a wiper mechanism that extends 16". I'm not sure the best way to mount this model so I hope you don't mind sharing your advice?

One option is to mount the UV sterilizer to the side of the red sea cabinet, so that the wiper mechanism can be pulled outwards with the cabinet door opened. One challenge with this method is that the bulb goes in the other side, so to replace the bulb I would need to dismount the UV system. Is that how you perform this task? Is it cumbersome to do?

A second option is to mount it to the ceiling of the cabinet lengthwise, so that I have more room to fit everything. I don't think this will leave me enough room to operate the wiper mechanism though.

I am thinking of adding this to my system to assist with parasite control. Curious what your thoughts on that subject would be as well.

Thank you in advance! Hope you don't mind the questions & sharing your opinion.

Yes, I'm still running my Aqua UV Classic 15 watt. Based on the specs, it's slightly undersized for my tank size, but as you mentioned it's difficult to find a UV that fits easily, so I went with this unit. Since I've never run a tank without UV, I honestly can't say for sure how effective it has been, though I've never had any major parasite issues.

You will definitely want to place it where maintenance is easy without needing to completely remove it. Have you considered mounting it externally to the rear of the cabinet? That would give you easy access to both the wiper and for changing bulbs without dismounting it.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, my targets are:

Alk: 8.20 dKH
Cal: 420 ppm
Mag: 1350 ppm

Here are my Trident Control settings:

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 3.59.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 3.59.56 PM.png

You know this may sound stupid but I don't recall seeing this screen when I set mine up. Maybe I used the wizard. Now I need to go look - lol.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know this may sound stupid but I don't recall seeing this screen when I set mine up. Maybe I used the wizard. Now I need to go look - lol.

That screen is not part of the initial setup. You can later go into your DOS schedule, then click "Control Interval" to get to these settings to fine-tune it:

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 6.09.02 PM.png

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered mounting it externally to the rear of the cabinet? That would give you easy access to both the wiper and for changing bulbs without dismounting it.

I did not think of this, but I only have 3-4 inches back there so it might be a tight fit. I'll explore the 15watt + my mounting options for the 25 watt inside the cabinet.

Thanks for your reply!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back