CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet clowns! Ive enjoyed your build and I'm impressed how much you were able to get into the sump space. I may have missed it in the thread but is that the Nyos 120 or 160. The dimensions on the website for the 160 are almost 7 x10....how tight a fit is it?

Also, just wanted to make you aware that those adhesive you used with the zip-ties are great for about a year or two. Over time the moisture and salt will cause them to let go (ask me how I know lol). I've used them extensively in the past to hold things up in my tanks and they will invariably fail. I'd suggest getting some PVC Pipe strap with screws. You can get them at PVCFittingsonline.com

Looking forward to more life in the tank.

Cheers

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet clowns! Ive enjoyed your build and I'm impressed how much you were able to get into the sump space. I may have missed it in the thread but is that the Nyos 120 or 160. The dimensions on the website for the 160 are almost 7 x10....how tight a fit is it?

Also, just wanted to make you aware that those adhesive you used with the zip-ties are great for about a year or two. Over time the moisture and salt will cause them to let go (ask me how I know lol). I've used them extensively in the past to hold things up in my tanks and they will invariably fail. I'd suggest getting some PVC Pipe strap with screws. You can get them at PVCFittingsonline.com

Looking forward to more life in the tank.

Cheers

The skimmer is a Nyos Quantum 160. The fit is a bit tight due to the position of my return pipe coming down from the UV sterilizer at the top of the cabinet, but it definitely fits. I also have it sitting on top of a block of MarinePure and a piece of egg crate to lift it about 1.5" so the water level is closer to what Nyos recommends.

As for the zip tie mounts, they are screwed into the cabinet so the adhesive is not what's holding up the plumbing. These mounts have a center hole so they're made to allow reinforcement with screws.

Glad you like the build!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is a Nyos Quantum 160. The fit is a bit tight due to the position of my return pipe coming down from the UV sterilizer at the top of the cabinet, but it definitely fits. I also have it sitting on top of a block of MarinePure and a piece of egg crate to lift it about 1.5" so the water level is closer to what Nyos recommends.

As for the zip tie mounts, they are screwed into the cabinet so the adhesive is not what's holding up the plumbing. These mounts have a center hole so they're made to allow reinforcement with screws.

Glad you like the build!

Great build. I am slowly putting together a xl425 and have a question on your nyos 160. Did you have to raise the 160 or just sit it on the bottom of the sump?
Oh and congratulations on the clownfish. They look great

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. I am slowly putting together a xl425 and have a question on your nyos 160. Did you have to raise the 160 or just sit it on the bottom of the sump?
Oh and congratulations on the clownfish. They look great

Yes, sorry if you missed it in my last post. I raised the Nyos skimmer by setting it on a block of MarinePure and a piece of egg crate. That raises it about 1.5". I believe Nyos recommends a water level of 8.5 inches, but the Red Sea sump baffle keeps the water at 10.5".

Glad you like the clowns! They're fun to watch.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry if you missed it in my last post. I raised the Nyos skimmer by setting it on a block of MarinePure and a piece of egg crate. That raises it about 1.5". I believe Nyos recommends a water level of 8.5 inches, but the Red Sea sump baffle keeps the water at 10.5".

Glad you like the clowns! They're fun to watch.

Haha I even quoted the answer.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few more photos. The clowns are doing great, and have a serious appetite! They love to eat.

Clowns2.jpg

Check out these teeth!
ClownTeeth.jpg

I got some hermit crabs and snails, and they're doing a great job cleaning up the diatoms.
Hermit.jpg

This one came with a barnacle hitchhiker.
Hermit2.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick video of my aquascape, clowns, and cleanup crew. So far just a bit of diatoms, but the CUC is doing a good job keeping things in check. As you can see there's plenty of space for corals eventually!

(sorry for the shaky video...I'm hobbling around on a broken toe.)

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I added a Tiger Sand Conch. Very cool to watch it grazing on the sand.
IMG_3124.jpg

It has some crazy eyes!
Tiger Conch.jpg

And a scary looking dagger at the rear:
Conch Dagger.jpg

Last edited:

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your set up is really well done. I'm just getting started with a 100g build. I'm still collecting pieces and going slow. Your set up is inspiring. Your thread is definitely one I will refer to frequently. Thanks for sharing!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Neptune AFS, but once it arrived I realized the 4 inches between my tank and the wall is not enough to allow the AFS to hang off the back and still connect the Aquabus cable to power/control it. Since AquaBus cables are standard USB cables (regardless of all the warning to NOT plug them into a PC or other USB device due to the higher voltage sent through AquaBus) I did some research and found a handy little 90 degree USB adapter on Amazon that allows me to connect the AquaBus cable from the bottom rather than straight out the back of the AFS unit and it shaves almost an inch off the standard straight USB cable.

For anyone running into this same issue, just order this from Amazon for $4.99:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IZYPJAS

Since USB connectors are uni-directional, this product comes with two adapters, one that angles up and one that angles down, so I also have one more that angles up if I find another use for it.

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Brilliant idea with the 90 degree adapter!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your set up is really well done. I'm just getting started with a 100g build. I'm still collecting pieces and going slow. Your set up is inspiring. Your thread is definitely one I will refer to frequently. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying this build. One of my goals for this thread is to give back to this great community for all the things I've learned from others, and hopefully inspire and help people like yourself with tips and ideas for their builds. Good luck with your 100g!

launchnukes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos. Love the clowns.

You're plumbing is a work of art. Question, how did you hard plumb the return line to the red sea return?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos. Love the clowns.

You're plumbing is a work of art. Question, how did you hard plumb the return line to the red sea return?

Thank you! I got most of my plumbing ideas from @Broadfield, so I can't take all the credit!

For the Red Sea return, I used a 3/4" threaded to 1" slip adapter. Because Red Sea's plumbing is metric, the 3/4" isn't an exact match, but by wrapping the threads about 15 times with teflon tape and firmly hand tightening it works fine. Here's the adapter I used:
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html

launchnukes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Thank you! I got most of my plumbing ideas from @Broadfield, so I can't take all the credit!

For the Red Sea return, I used a 3/4" threaded to 1" slip adapter. Because Red Sea's plumbing is metric, the 3/4" isn't an exact match, but by wrapping the threads about 15 times with teflon tape and firmly hand tightening it works fine. Here's the adapter I used:
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase a new union piece to connect the threaded piece to the tank?

...guess I could have pmd you. Lol

I used the stock Red Sea union piece which connects to the pipe coming down from the display tank. I just unscrewed the Red Sea barbed fitting from the bottom of that part and replaced it with the 3/4" to 1" adapter I mentioned in my last post.

This photo should help explain:
Return Pipe.jpg

launchnukes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the stock Red Sea union piece which connects to the pipe coming down from the display tank. I just unscrewed the Red Sea barbed fitting from the bottom of that part and replaced it with the 3/4" to 1" adapter I mentioned in my last post.

This photo should help explain:
Return Pipe.jpg
I see. Thanks for the pic. The 750xxl is different and there's a pipe glued there but I'm sure I can order that piece you have from redsea. Thanks again

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have two new members in our aquarium family!

Yellow & Purple Wrasse:
Wrass.jpg

Tailspot Blenny:
Tailspot.jpg

The Pukani rock is perfect for the blenny with all of the holes and caves. It will be a challenge finding him.

As soon as the clowns saw the wrasse they finally ventured out of the corner of the tank they've been sticking near since day one. Maybe they just didn't like being alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turbo snail is quickly becoming my favorite tank inhabitant! Yesterday I noticed a lot of algae building up on my return nozzles, so I figured I should do some maintenance soon to clean them up. But this morning when I woke up, I found the turbo snail had been hard at work overnight cleaning them for me!

Before:
Nozzle Algae.png

After:
Nozzle Clean.jpg

In other tank news, my new wrasse who normally buries himself to sleep at night has decided to take an extended nap. He's been buried for nearly 24 hours now, but I've seen other people reporting that they can sometimes stay in the sand for several days. I'm sure he'll eventually come out for food.

The clowns had been peacefully coexisting since I got them over a week ago, but yesterday they started fighting for dominance. They are both the same size, so there's no size advantage yet. It will be interesting to see which one becomes dominant and transitions to female.

Two hermit crabs were fighting over a snail shell (and what was left of the snail inside), so I think I should pick up some extra shells soon before they start killing more snails.

Meanwhile the tailspot blenny doesn't seem fazed by all of the tank drama around him and just hangs out on his rock. He's the calming influence on the whole ecosystem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back