OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef Did you end up changing your mounting setup for your Sky's? Trying to decide on the RMS arm mount or hang them off the ceiling. Read many reviews on the RMS leaning too far forward.
I'm still using a Frankenstein setup with the RMS arm supporting the 3D printed bracket from my old ReeFi lights, then the SKY hanging from that bracket using the wire hanging kit. It's not pretty, but it works, and other things in life have been keeping me too busy to bother changing it. Photos of that setup here:

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef are you still running your old Reefi profile from 2020?
I've been using the Neptune SKY since my tank rebuild last year when I was asked to be on Neptune's NSI testing team. I still have the ReeFi's and may switch back to them at some point, but I've been too busy lately to mess with anything on my build.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are using Aqua UV mouting bracket, how did you mount it? I cannot seem to find pictures/instructions on how to mount it as it looks like you need a bolt instead of a screws to mount it.

More good progress today. I glued up all the PVC and installed the sump plumbing. I purchased a set of mounting brackets for the Aqua UV sterilizer since it's a pretty heavy unit and will require periodic maintenance to replace the bulb and clean the glass tube. I wanted to make sure it was mounted firmly to make this easier when unscrewing the large PVC fittings.

IMG_2654.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are using Aqua UV mouting bracket, how did you mount it? I cannot seem to find pictures/instructions on how to mount it as it looks like you need a bolt instead of a screws to mount it.
I use pan-head wood screws. The screws simply fit within the slots on the base of the clamp:

UV Clamp.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size UV? 25 watt? If so, what did you use the 4" for the UV body?
I have 25 and 40 watt, both use the same clamps around the body. The uv wattage does not matter as much as the body size. The 4 inch will work with Pentair 18, 25, 40, 80, and I think 120 watt units. So long as they are not the "high output" versions with wider bodies. The other big uv brands will be similar. Tell me what are you using and I will do my best to confirm.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a fun, challenging, humbling, and sometimes heartbreaking journey as I built, maintained, and even rebuilt this tank.

But now, it's time to shut it down and sell it.

I recently sold my IT support company and will be stepping away from the reefing hobby for a while as my wife & I spend some time traveling and deciding on when and where to resettle. I have really enjoyed participating in the reefing hobby, and I’m very happy that my series of Apex tutorials have been so popular. I don’t yet know my timeline, but I’m sure I’ll get sucked back into reefing at some point, but for now, please continue to read my Apex tutorial series and point other Apex users to them as needed to keep people informed on the best practices for Apex programming. It’s been an honor that so many of you have looked to me for guidance on the Apex, and I hope that the tutorials I wrote will live on in my absence.

Happy reefing!

-John

aka SuncrestReef

Last edited:

Johnmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a fun, challenging, humbling, and sometimes heartbreaking journey as I built, maintained, and even rebuilt this tank.

I recently sold my IT support company and will be stepping away from the reefing hobby for a while as my wife & I spend some time traveling and deciding on when and where to resettle. I have really enjoyed participating in the Apex support forums, and I’m very happy that my series of Apex tutorials have been so popular. I don’t yet know my timeline, but I’m sure I’ll get sucked back into reefing at some point, but for now, please continue to read my Apex tutorial series and point other Apex users to them as needed to keep people informed on the best practices for Apex programming. It’s been an honor that so many of you have looked to me for guidance on the Apex, and I hope that the tutorials I wrote will live on in my absence.

Happy reefing!

-John

aka SuncrestReef
It's a shame you're leaving Hobbie John, but family always comes first. We will always appreciate all your contributions and they will surely last forever, and I can personally say that almost all my Apex programming was thanks to you and I continue to learn from your Great Tutorials. Greetings Brother and have a wonderful trip with your wife. See you next time

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently sold my IT support company and will be stepping away from the reefing hobby for a while as my wife & I spend some time traveling and deciding on when and where to resettle. I have really enjoyed participating in the reefing hobby, and I’m very happy that my series of Apex tutorials have been so popular. I don’t yet know my timeline, but I’m sure I’ll get sucked back into reefing at some point, but for now, please continue to read my Apex tutorial series and point other Apex users to them as needed to keep people informed on the best practices for Apex programming. It’s been an honor that so many of you have looked to me for guidance on the Apex, and I hope that the tutorials I wrote will live on in my absence.

Happy reefing!

-John

aka SuncrestReef
Enjoy your travels! I have the same tank. And when I get an Apex I’ll be sure and check out your articles!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to see you go but happy you and your wife will be able to start a new chapter in life. We will miss your journey and pictures greatly along with all your help.
what is the best way to find all your tutorials? Always willing to learn how to get more from apex.
Any pointers on how I can get dos to dose a certain amount at certain times. Im dosing H202 to my display to take care of an ich outbreak

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to personally thank @SuncrestReef for all your help and expertise. Getting the Neptune Apex, Trident, & DOS were game changers. But your expert write ups helped me get the most out of my controllers and take my aquarium to the next level!

Wish you safe and great travels. You will be missed!

Thank you for all your help!!!

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy reefing!

-John

aka SuncrestReef
dang, you will be missed. I cannot tell you how helpful your posts were to me setting up my mixing station and my apex programming!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is shut down and officially for sale. If you're in Oregon and are interested in it, see the classified ad here:

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You will be missed. You have helped me enormously with your tutorials. I am far from computer savvy but you made it super easy with how you explain things. Enjoy the time off! Good luck with your new endeavors.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back