View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank status as of Oct 2019:
IMG_7362.jpg

(original build thread begins below: )
---
After months of planning, I'm finally ready to start my official build thread. This will be my first aquarium, so please be patient with me as I'm completely new to this hobby.

A couple weeks ago I first joined R2R and posted my plans for feedback. Thanks to those of you who commented (in particular @Broadfield and @nvladik), I made a few suggested changes and think my plans will work. I'll start with a list of equipment I have purchased and a brief description of plans.

Aquarium
-
Red Sea Reefer XL 425 with black cabinet
Flow
- Neptune COR-20 return pump
- Manifold with gate valves from COR-20 to supply the reactors and UV sterilizer
- Replace Red Sea return nozzle with dual nozzles
- Maxspect XF230 Gyre pump
Filtration
- Stock Red Sea filter socks with added filter pads on top
- Convert stock Red Sea ATO reservoir into refugium for chaeto
- Refugium fed by pump in filter sock chamber below​
- Refugium overflow drains into skimmer chamber​
- Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer
- Two AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO & Carbon media reactors
- AquaMaxx BioPellet reactor
- Pentair Aquatics UV 40 sterilizer AquaUV Classic 15W sterilizer
- UV sterilizer fed by return pump manifold​
Lighting
- Two Radion XR30w Pro G4 LED
- Chaetomax 2-in-1 9W Refugium LED
Heating
- Two Finnex TH-S 300W in sump, controlled by Apex
- Finnex HMX-S-150 in saltwater mixing tank, controlled by included Finnex controller
Controller
- Neptune Apex 2016
- Standard Apex probes in skimmer chamber
- Two Neptune FMM units
- Monitor flow on return pipe​
- Monitor flow on each media reactor​
- Monitor flow on UV sterilizer​
- Leak detection probe in sump cabinet​
- Leak detection probe under carpet below cabinet​
- Neptune DOS and DDR for dosing
- Neptune DOS for automatic water changes
- Neptune ATK
- Neptune AFS
- Neptune WXM
- Icecap Maxspect Gyre Apex Interface Module to control flow pump
- Apex connected to home network via CAT-5 cable hidden behind baseboard molding
Water Management
- BRS 5-stage 150GPD Plus Water Saver RO/DI system
- Two 75 gallon upright flat bottom tanks for RO/DI and saltwater
- PanWorld 150PS pump for mixing station
- Neptune DOS + ATK for water changes and top off
- ATO pumped via ATK to sump from RO/DI storage tank in garage​
- DOS drains from sump to utility sink in garage​
- DOS refills sump from saltwater tank in garage​
- 1/4” tubing run through wall from garage to sump and concealed behind baseboard molding​
- All pipes and tubes color-coded:
- Saltwater = orange
- RO/DI water = blue
- Waste water = gray
Power Management
- Dedicated 20 amp circuit for aquarium
- UPS for immediate backup power (keeps Apex and other devices running before generator can start)
- Generac Guardian 22kW whole-home generator with 200A automatic transfer switch

The Reefer XL 425 will be placed in my living room along a wall that's angled at 45 degrees, which is just inside from the garage so it's only a short 15 foot run for plumbing to the mixing station and drain:
Floorplan.jpg

The RO/DI unit, mixing station, DOS and ATK will be in the garage:
Mixing Station.jpg

I plan to build a manifold to feed the reactors and UV sterilizer. Here's a rough diagram of the water flow through the system:
Aquarium Flow.jpg

I have ordered all the equipment and things are starting to show up, though I don't have a delivery date for the Reefer XL 425 yet. So for now, I'm working on the mixing station setup.

I live near Portland, Oregon, and found a local business that sells all sorts of storage containers. I picked up two 75 gallon tanks for $150 each which was cheaper than paying shipping from online vendors and I was able to look them over before purchase. If any of you are in the Portland area, you can find them at Green Concepts Container, 2227 NW Eleven Mile Ave, Gresham, OR.
IMG_2383.JPG

They are 22" wide and 48" tall, and came with 1.5" bulkheads installed. Cooper (my black lab) helped me with the initial rinsing.
IMG_2387.JPG

The first hurdle in my plans is that my garage did not have any drain pipe. It had a water source since the hot water heater is there, but no way for me to drain waste water.
IMG_2366.JPG

I hired a plumber who drilled through the foundation to run a drain pipe under the crawl space to my main plumbing drain. I then picked up a small utility sink at Home Depot.
IMG_2367.JPG

I also picked up a Husky heavy duty shelf from Home Depot to support the water tanks, and relocated the wall-mounted vacuum.
IMG_2396.JPG

My RO/DI unit arrived today, so I quickly mounted it to the wall. I still need to connect the water tubing.
IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

The water tanks have gallon numbers molded into the plastic, but they were difficult to see with white on white, so a simple touch-up with a permanent marker made a big improvement.
IMG_2401.JPG

At this point I need to wait on all the PVC fittings and pumps to arrive before I can continue. Hopefully I'll have more updates later this week!

-John

Last edited:

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just a comment. I also have a 425xl. The sump space is tighter than at first appearances. I was unable to fit three aquamaxx reactors on my manifold and a flow meter on the return. I see you are also adding a UV....not sure how that will fit unless you are adding a front loop off your manifold.

I had to place my flow meter on the pipe run from my return pump and forgo one of the reactors. I’m still dry fitting my setup and have not had time to work in it for a couple months but I’m interested in how you fit this all together....following.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi just a comment. I also have a 425xl. The sump space is tighter than at first appearances. I was unable to fit three aquamaxx reactors on my manifold and a flow meter on the return. I see you are also adding a UV....not sure how that will fit unless you are adding a front loop off your manifold.

I had to place my flow meter on the pipe run from my return pump and forgo one of the reactors. I’m still dry fitting my setup and have not had time to work in it for a couple months but I’m interested in how you fit this all together....following.

e0bd11b7f696b79be5cc2934d9f66213.jpg

3 reactors, skimmer, and a full calcium reactor.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m impressed. You really squeezed every inch out of that sump. So I gather your return pump is in the back corner between the two reactors. Also do you have the “U” behind the skimmer.

What size pipe?

Where I had issues was trying to accommodate the FMM with 1 inch pipe and trying to keep the reactors along the back. I wanted a less cramped sump area that was easy to work in.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m impressed. You really squeezed every inch out of that sump. So I gather your return pump is in the back corner between the two reactors. Also do you have the “U” behind the skimmer.

What size pipe?

Where I had issues was trying to accommodate the FMM with 1 inch pipe and trying to keep the reactors along the back. I wanted a less cramped sump area that was easy to work in.

Pump is all the way back to the wall. Reactors are split off of the main line. All 3/4" piping. I will be redoing it all soon tho, also squeezing the UV in there. I can deff fit the components into the sump, but is it easy to work with - NO. :) There are drawbacks to everything I guess.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a single 300w Finnex, it's enough for 13 degrees deferential (I can keep the house at 65 and tank at 78).

I went with dual heaters for redundancy rather than heating capacity.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I’m very concerned I won’t have enough space for everything. It looks good on paper but I’ll have to see all the items in person and do some major PVC gymnastics.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with dual heaters for redundancy rather than heating capacity.

I'd also consider getting the same titanium heater for the mixing container. I love Finnex heaters, have been recommending them for a long long time, but I hate the controllers. Cheap electronics, sometimes they break. I'd suggest go with a heating tube, and for the controller, get either a Apex expansion module with a temp probe, or an inkbird controller off of amazon.

ALso for the mixing container, I saw you picked panworld pump. I'd consider going with Jebao DCP line. less electricity. less cost. You can buy 2 DCP-1000 and save some money, just eep the second on in the box as a back up, or for what ever pump needs you might have in the future, transfer water, etc.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 days after ordering my Reefer XL 425 from Bulk Reef Supply and seeing my order listed as "In Picking" on their web site, I called BRS to see what's going on. They said the order had been sent to Red Sea and suggested I contact them. Red Sea informed me that the tank shipped today and provided tracking info with the freight vendor. The freight vendor's website lists 1 package, 622 lbs., and says they will contact me 24 hours before delivery to make arrangements, but they don't give any ETA. Overall not the most customer-friendly process, but at this point I'm just glad to know the Reefer is on the way.

In the meantime, I have received 60 lbs of Pukani rock, 60 lbs of Tropic Eden sand, and the schedule 40 PVC pipes and fittings. I'm still waiting on all the valves from PVCFittingsOnline.com, and all my Apex equipment and lights/pumps and other equipment from Premium Aquatics. Hopefully things will arrive next week and I can start making some progress. Patience..............................

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 days after ordering my Reefer XL 425 from Bulk Reef Supply and seeing my order listed as "In Picking" on their web site, I called BRS to see what's going on. They said the order had been sent to Red Sea and suggested I contact them. Red Sea informed me that the tank shipped today and provided tracking info with the freight vendor. The freight vendor's website lists 1 package, 622 lbs., and says they will contact me 24 hours before delivery to make arrangements, but they don't give any ETA. Overall not the most customer-friendly process, but at this point I'm just glad to know the Reefer is on the way.

In the meantime, I have received 60 lbs of Pukani rock, 60 lbs of Tropic Eden sand, and the schedule 40 PVC pipes and fittings. I'm still waiting on all the valves from PVCFittingsOnline.com, and all my Apex equipment and lights/pumps and other equipment from Premium Aquatics. Hopefully things will arrive next week and I can start making some progress. Patience..............................

If your tank is being delivered through road runner, make sure to call them when it comes into your main terminal. They don’t actually call you to schedule a delivery and it will sit in their warehouse until then. At least, that was my experience.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is being delivered through road runner, make sure to call them when it comes into your main terminal. They don’t actually call you to schedule a delivery and it will sit in their warehouse until then. At least, that was my experience.

Mine is with R&L Carriers.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with R&L Carriers and my Reefer XL 425 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! I have already received most of the equipment, just waiting on a back-ordered COR-20 pump, one XR30 Pro G4, and a few PVC fittings. Should be able to start my build this weekend.
IMG_2503.JPG

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks well thought out. I also went with an XL 425 for my first tank. Here is my build thread for reference. I did many things similar to your plan.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rookie-reefer-xl-425.300860/

I considered turning the stock ATO into a fuge but decided to use half of the skimmer chamber instead. It is working well and not having the ATO container in there makes it easier to work. I currently have 2 reactors mounted on the back wall for carbon and GFO.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back