Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SuncrestReef, enjoying your build. I just started my first solo tank myself a Reefer 250, I really dig those mixing tanks, and I'm also in the Portland Area, although the size you have is much too big for my application, do you recall if they had tanks in the 20-30 gallon range, and were they pre-marked for volume or did you mark them yourself?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SuncrestReef, enjoying your build. I just started my first solo tank myself a Reefer 250, I really dig those mixing tanks, and I'm also in the Portland Area, although the size you have is much too big for my application, do you recall if they had tanks in the 20-30 gallon range, and were they pre-marked for volume or did you mark them yourself?

Thanks for following along, and congrats on your new Reefer!

The place in Gresham where I got the water storage tanks have every size and shape available. That's all they do is sell water containers, so I'd highly recommend you visit them to look around. I'm sure you'll find tanks that will work for you. Mine had the gallon marks molded into the plastic, but I used a permanent marker to make them more visible.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and post a build thread if you can. Also, are you a member of PNWMAS, our local reefing club? It's a great group of people. See http://www.pnwmas.org.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My overflow pipe has been gurgling at lot recently, and I'm guessing the valve might need cleaning after more than a year of use. Just to confirm there was no snail or other obstruction in the pipe, I used my endoscope to record a video from inside the overflow pipe. I stopped just short of the overflow valve because I didn't want the scope to get stuck inside. I'm surprised it looked a lot cleaner than I imagined it might be. Just a bit of detritus and a few sponges.

Mine did the same, tank's 2 years old, turned out I had to clean the return pump, it wasn't pumping enough water back into the tank. After a usual vinegar bath it started working as a champ again, but then getting the whole system dialed in again was a multi-day pain. I saw someone created a durso silencer printed on a 3d printer, so I made my own that looks like a tie fighter in the overflow box :). Works like a charm, if you have access to a printer it's a nice little add-on for the tank. Check it out for ideas: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/durso-emergency-pipe-silencer-tie-fighter-advanced.616670/

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been elected to the Board of Directors of my local aquarium club, PNWMAS. I’m really glad I got involved in this club and the members are a great group of people. Between the monthly meetings, frag swaps, classified ads, and general willingness to help each other out, I wouldn’t have been as successful with my reef without them.

I absolutely love R2R and value all the great info and support here as well, and will continue to contribute here as always. But it’s just nice also having local reefers to meet in person.

If any of you have local clubs but haven’t gotten involved with them, I highly recommend checking them out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubbletip anemone has grown to about 12” and the tentacles keep stinging nearby corals. I just added a new rock to create a barrier that will hopefully save the frags. The anemone has been in this location for many months, so hopefully it won’t move.

The white rock sticks out like a sore thumb next to all the coralline covered rocks.

B1D9F567-5541-4AD2-B8C5-261D21DB8A48.jpeg

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SuncrestReef do you use a bigger piece of nori the roll or fold it up a few times to get it to the size that is in the video?

Great looking bubbletip

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SuncrestReef do you use a bigger piece of nori the roll or fold it up a few times to get it to the size that is in the video?

Great looking bubbletip

I fold half a sheet of nori into thirds, then fold that in half. So it ends up being 6 layers thick, and about 1/2" wide by 2" long.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a half a sheet for one tang. Just got my first tang and have been figuring out how much he wants and best way to keep it on the clip.

Will you leave it in the display so he can pick at it during the day?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a half a sheet for one tang. Just got my first tang and have been figuring out how much he wants and best way to keep it on the clip.

Will you leave it in the display so he can pick at it during the day?

I give him 1/2 sheet twice per week. It usually lasts about 12 hours with the tang and one blue chromis that pecks at it. The other chromis ignores it. Sometimes a turbo snail discovers it and devours the whole thing when I'm not looking.

The nori is just supplemental feeding. The tang is pretty greedy when I feed the rest of my fish frozen LRS food twice per day, and he also pecks away at algae on the rocks and glass all day. Pretty busy fish.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression it should be feed daily along with lrs.
I will try your way and see how it goes

Thanks for the advice
FYI, my Midas Blenny will actually pick at Nori. Surprised me. Do not be surprised if yours does too.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local aquarium club held a raffle to benefit aquariums for local school rooms. I won the following corals in the auction:

Nuclear Green Astreopora
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.27.22 AM.png

Golden Basket Fire Gold
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.36.44 AM.png

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local aquarium club held a raffle to benefit aquariums for local school rooms. I won the following corals in the auction:

Nuclear Green Astreopora
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.27.22 AM.png

Golden Basket Fire Gold
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.36.44 AM.png
Congratulations! For a great cause, too.

Back