OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag rack is full. Sometimes I’m really bad at deciding where I want to place new frags, so they just accumulate here on this small corner rack. This should finally force me to get out the glue and place them.

24C47BAB-B02D-4A42-8E42-7FD8EB11C54D.jpeg

7000CDC1-A785-4096-BE4E-1F68B7FDA965.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I picked a very similar Chalice this past weekend. Kind of a purple/teal with green/yellow eyes (more yellow than my images captured). Curious if yours came with some trendy name?

My nub
A65622CC-A551-46FA-941C-7B94F09AD2BB.jpeg

72035CCB-259E-4125-83DB-9ADE64849B3C.jpeg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be on vacation in late September, and to make things easier for my tank sitter, I decided to install a switch box that controls some of the more common maintenance tasks. Rather than needing to log into Apex Fusion, a simple press of a button can be used to turn off all the pumps in an emergency, or trigger simple feed modes.

I got this unit from Harry Singer (see https://www.instagram.com/harrysaquatics/) and it just connects to any Apex I/O port. Since I already have a breakout box using the I/O port on my Apex, I connected this new switchbox to the I/O port on my ASM module. There are a total of 6 switches:

S1_Smp - Turns off all pumps in the sump for maintenance. This includes dosing pumps, ATO, and AWC.
S2_FdF - Feed Fish, shuts off circulation for 5 minutes
S3_Blu - Blue Lights, turns on blue lighting for 5 minutes
S4_FdC - Feed Corals, shuts off circulation for10 minutes
S5_Wht - White Lights, turns on white lighting for 5 minutes
S6_WAV - Turns off powerheads for maintenance.
(Apex switch names are limited to 6 characters)

The two larger toggle switches at the left and right have protective covers so it's not easy to accidentally move the toggle switch, and these toggles remain in position until manually move them. The other four small buttons are simple doorbell-style push buttons, so they only register "Closed" briefly when pressed. For these four buttons I created virtual outputs with Defer timers, so when the button is pressed it activates the virtual output for a set period of time, then then virtual output turns back Off:

BlueLights
Set OFF
If S3_Blu CLOSED Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then OFF

68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg

7B45DD88-4A24-45C0-A325-DD7CC8120251.jpeg

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be on vacation in late September, and to make things easier for my tank sitter, I decided to install a switch box that controls some of the more common maintenance tasks. Rather than needing to log into Apex Fusion, a simple press of a button can be used to turn off all the pumps in an emergency, or trigger simple feed modes.

I got this unit from Harry Singer (see https://www.instagram.com/harrysaquatics/) and it just connects to any Apex I/O port. Since I already have a breakout box using the I/O port on my Apex, I connected this new switchbox to the I/O port on my ASM module. There are a total of 6 switches:

S1_Smp - Turns off all pumps in the sump for maintenance. This includes dosing pumps, ATO, and AWC.
S2_FdF - Feed Fish, shuts off circulation for 5 minutes
S3_Blu - Blue Lights, turns on blue lighting for 5 minutes
S4_FdC - Feed Corals, shuts off circulation for10 minutes
S5_Wht - White Lights, turns on white lighting for 5 minutes
S6_WAV - Turns off powerheads for maintenance.
(Apex switch names are limited to 6 characters)

The two larger toggle switches at the left and right have protective covers so it's not easy to accidentally move the toggle switch, and these toggles remain in position until manually move them. The other four small buttons are simple doorbell-style push buttons, so they only register "Closed" briefly when pressed. For these four buttons I created virtual outputs with Defer timers, so when the button is pressed it activates the virtual output for a set period of time, then then virtual output turns back Off:

BlueLights
Set OFF
If S3_Blu CLOSED Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then OFF

68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg

7B45DD88-4A24-45C0-A325-DD7CC8120251.jpeg
@WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag rack is full. Sometimes I’m really bad at deciding where I want to place new frags, so they just accumulate here on this small corner rack. This should finally force me to get out the glue and place them.

24C47BAB-B02D-4A42-8E42-7FD8EB11C54D.jpeg

7000CDC1-A785-4096-BE4E-1F68B7FDA965.jpeg
That Turbinaria you have is my most Favourite Coral in my Tank.
One of the few Corals that you can get Yellow Colors from without perfection.
Great Glow on the PE under Blue lights.
It's hardy, grows not too slow (so you have to wait forever), but not too fast (so it gets out of control).
Once it anchors down on, you will not able to remove it.
Place it medium/high, but plan some space below for it to grow and cast a shadow.
TurbinariaPlacement.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Turbinaria you have is my most Favourite Coral in my Tank.
One of the few Corals that you can get Yellow Colors from without perfection.
Great Glow on the PE under Blue lights.
It's hardy, grows not too slow (so you have to wait forever), but not too fast (so it gets out of control).
Once it anchors down on, you will not able to remove it.
Place it medium/high, but plan some space below for it to grow and cast a shadow.
TurbinariaPlacement.jpg

Thanks for the tips! I’ve been trying to decide where to place it, so this really helps.

Great photo!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! I’ve been trying to decide where to place it, so this really helps.

Great photo!
No problem. Look forward to seeing where you place the Turbinaria and see it prosper.

One other tip since I've seen the long term pain.

Select and place wisely any Encrusting Frags. I see a couple on your frag rack.
They start small and look great for rock coverage coloration.

However over time they will continue to encrust (Some Really fast!!), and will take over a whole rock and spread to other rocks if there is contact. If they are stronger than other SPS on same rock they will suffocate, grow over and even kill them.

A fellow reefer had an encrusting sps. Looked great for over a year as it spread and provide great color.
Then he had to battle it by trying to cut away the invasion around other SPS.... and it got to the point where he had to remove the whole Large rock (1/4 of tank) to prevent further invasion/damage.

Think long term for Encrusters. Maybe if you want them, ensure the rock you place them on, is contained (no contact once it spreads to edges of rock).

I actually killed and removed all of mine (where I could) after seeing my friends situation.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dual return nozzles have been in use non-stop for over 16 months without any cleaning. Today I decided it was time:

7D6D604E-3C1E-4569-891D-F39713D12C07.jpeg

After a few hours soaking in vinegar and going over it with a toothbrush, it looks as good as new:

BC4941F5-D7B5-411D-A6F3-D9DB4D7B88EB.jpeg

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suncrest, I literally binged this entire thread today! One of the best builds I have seen in all my research. I cannot believe this was your first tank!! Congrats and thanks for all this work and insight. Truly inspiring is all I can say. I will be copying a lot of what you have done here. Keep it up! Cant wait to see the peninsula one day.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suncrest, I literally binged this entire thread today! One of the best builds I have seen in all my research. I cannot believe this was your first tank!! Congrats and thanks for all this work and insight. Truly inspiring is all I can say. I will be copying a lot of what you have done here. Keep it up! Cant wait to see the peninsula one day.

Wow, all in one day? You should get some sort of award! :) Sometimes I need to go back to look something up I wrote long ago in this thread and I get frustrated with how many posts I need to look through...

Seriously though, I'm really glad to hear when people find this documentation useful and inspiring. Feel free to steal any of my ideas, and be sure to share a link if you have a build thread. And if you use an Apex, be sure to read my 8-part Apex tutorial series!

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, all in one day? You should get some sort of award! :) Sometimes I need to go back to look something up I wrote long ago in this thread and I get frustrated with how many posts I need to look through...

Seriously though, I'm really glad to hear when people find this documentation useful and inspiring. Feel free to steal any of my ideas, and be sure to share a link if you have a build thread. And if you use an Apex, be sure to read my 8-part Apex tutorial series!

Yeah the kids and wife are away so I got to do my favorite thing today, watch my reef and read about what I am hoping is my future tank (425xl). I am old school and am still rocking a reefkeeper but I have an Apex on it's way as we speak, so I will definitely be reading your series ASAP! The programming scares me a little but I am sure, if it is at all as detailed as this build thread, I will be an expert after reading. Thanks again!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back