OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time since I've shot any macro photos, so now that my tank is back online and I have brand new frags, I was excited to dust off my camera. The following are full-frame shots, then a crop view of each at 100%:

DSC_8687.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.07.19 PM.png

DSC_8688.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.08.08 PM.png

DSC_8691.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.10.37 PM.png

DSC_8690.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.09.45 PM.png

DSC_8689.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.08.57 PM.png

DSC_8696.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.11.15 PM.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I love the Platinum sump and the roller mat! It's doing an amazing job of filtration. In the past, I had to empty my skimmate locker about every 10-14 days. Now it takes over a month to fill up.

I'm slowly and carefully adding more corals.

IMG_0871.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A-Guy:

I was about to chime in with some comment like "isn't it time to dump a bunch of pooping fish in there?" until I realized I am coming in fresh on page 55 of your thread. Oopsy. I will need a few days to catch up and ask an intelligent question. Just so you have time to prepare for it. :)

Thank you for your help on a few APEX questions over the past few weeks. You are my "I know a guy" guy when it comes to confirming some Advanced configuration instruction. Back to page one now before dinner prep.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A-Guy:

I was about to chime in with some comment like "isn't it time to dump a bunch of pooping fish in there?" until I realized I am coming in fresh on page 55 of your thread. Oopsy. I will need a few days to catch up and ask an intelligent question. Just so you have time to prepare for it. :)

Thank you for your help on a few APEX questions over the past few weeks. You are my "I know a guy" guy when it comes to confirming some Advanced configuration instruction. Back to page one now before dinner prep.
It is funny as some of this thread I have read before but much I have not. Page 12 now. Back in a day or two. Awesome documentation on process and mechanicals.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny as some of this thread I have read before but much I have not. Page 12 now. Back in a day or two. Awesome documentation on process and mechanicals.
It's funny you mentioned page 12. That's when I made the fateful decision to get rid of my filter socks and instead use filter cups stuffed full of filter fiber so I wouldn't need to clean socks all the time. The way my sump was arranged, the skimmer blocked me from fully removing the pull-out sock trays, but I could open them enough to replace the fiber. Unfortunately, I believe that was the root cause of my tank crash as I couldn't keep nutrients under control. That's why my recent rebuild included a brand new sump with a 10" roller mat which definitely solved the filtration problem.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted these same photos on the Red Sea Owners group on Facebook, and (as frequently happens on social media) several people posted harsh comments that the generator should not be installed near a window. For the record, this window is on my garage, not a living space in my home, and is perfectly acceptable in my local building code guidelines.

I also had several people challenging my decision to get a 22 kW generator, saying it's way too much capacity for a single family dwelling and a waste of money. At first I made an effort to explain my decision process and the power needs I anticipated, but these people were adamant that they were right and I was wrong. It got to the point where I had to disable comments on my posting, and then just deleted the whole thread to rid myself of the unwanted debate.

Sometimes I really question whether the Internet is a good thing or bad thing for mankind. Why can't we just post something we're excited and proud of, only to have it shot down by hateful people? :mad:
Makes me glad I kept quiet about my 30 kW install and my complaints about what it could not run. Tanks run fine. Sorry kids, no A/C for you but you are young and sturdy. And by now you have moved out anyway.

I totally regret Facebook. Not worth my energy. The kids will let me know if I missing something.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you mentioned page 12. That's when I made the fateful decision to get rid of my filter socks and instead use filter cups stuffed full of filter fiber so I wouldn't need to clean socks all the time. The way my sump was arranged, the skimmer blocked me from fully removing the pull-out sock trays, but I could open them enough to replace the fiber. Unfortunately, I believe that was the root cause of my tank crash as I couldn't keep nutrients under control. That's why my recent rebuild included a brand new sump with a 10" roller mat which definitely solved the filtration problem.
SSSSHHHH. I am not there yet. Don't ruin the plot! I am going as fast as I can! As I am retired now, I am overbooked.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish is laying eggs for the first time in my tank. The goniopora isn’t too happy about it, but it’s cool to see the process. You can see her depositing the orange eggs from a white section below her belly.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident is still doing a great job after more than 2 years in service. After rebooting my tank for the sump replacement I slowly brought my alk up from 7 to 9 dKH. The Trident caught a couple of bumps along the way allowing me to quickly respond.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.19.56 PM.png

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I love the Platinum sump and the roller mat! It's doing an amazing job of filtration. In the past, I had to empty my skimmate locker about every 10-14 days. Now it takes over a month to fill up.

I'm slowly and carefully adding more corals.

IMG_0871.jpg
The tanks looking very nice

It’s interesting about the roller mat, I’ve got one as well, the X Filter 1.7 in both tanks

The problem I have, the mat takes most of the rubbish out, I use 17-25 micron, which means there’s not much left for the skimmer. So what I find myself doing, is turning the skimmer ‘up’ . Then it overflows, and I start again, same cycle! Lol

You’ve pointed out the obvious now to me!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing auto water changes with my DOS and Apex for almost 2 years. Over the past couple of weeks, I've started noticing a steady decline in salinity, so I assumed my DOS heads were wearing out and ready for replacement. But after replacing the heads and running the calibration, I saw the Fill head was only pumping about 75% as much as the Drain head. Closer examination of the tube revealed it's caked on the inside with sediment, similar to the gunk that builds up in my mixing station tank over time.

I'm thinking about using string trimmer line with a small brush head attached to shove it through the tube.

It's funny, for all the complaints I hear from people about the Apex salinity probe being worthless, it alerted me about this issue right away!

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.15.40 PM.png

Have you needed to do this again? Just wondering how often you've needed to do this. I am a little over a year using the automatic water change and just wondering if I should be doing this once a year or so for maintenance. I appreciate any experience you can share.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you needed to do this again? Just wondering how often you've needed to do this. I am a little over a year using the automatic water change and just wondering if I should be doing this once a year or so for maintenance. I appreciate any experience you can share.
After I discovered all the sludge in my 1/4" tubing for AWC, I decided to clean out my mixing station tanks. I found a thick layer of sludge in the salt mixing tank, including a lot of buildup on the heater, salinity probe, and optical sensor inside that tank. This led me to change my procedure for mixing salt.

Originally I filled the saltwater tank with RO/DI water, then dumped in all the needed salt and let my circulation pump mix it up. What I found is that this process left a lot of undissolved salt in the bottom of the tank as it mixed. Since then I've changed my process to pre-mix the salt in a 5-gallon bucket into a slurry, then pour the slurry into the mixing station to further mix it. I do this in batches of about 2 gallons of water in the bucket with 5 cups of salt, stir it for about 10 seconds with a scrap of PVC pipe, then pour it into the mixing station, and repeat this process until all the needed salt has been added. I still leave the mixing station pump running for a few hours to thoroughly mix it up, but I found this process eliminates the thick layer of undissolved salt at the bottom of the tank.

This change in my salt mixing process seems to have eliminated the buildup of sludge in my AWC tubing. I think it was just sucking up salt sludge that hadn't yet dissolved.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More good progress today. I glued up all the PVC and installed the sump plumbing. I purchased a set of mounting brackets for the Aqua UV sterilizer since it's a pretty heavy unit and will require periodic maintenance to replace the bulb and clean the glass tube. I wanted to make sure it was mounted firmly to make this easier when unscrewing the large PVC fittings.

IMG_2654.jpg

To support the rest of the plumbing, I used 1" x 1" zip-tie mounting plates screwed into the sump cabinet ceiling, then suspended the PVC pipe from the mounts with zip ties. This worked great because it allowed me to loosely suspend the pipes while I got everything lined up and connected, then just tightened the zip ties until everything was pulled up to the ceiling and level with the UV sterilizer that is mounted solidly.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

Now I just need to wait patiently for Neptune to get their manufacturing caught up and start shipping the next batch of COR-20 pumps so I can get water flowing.

I also added a few final touches to my saltwater mixing station. I glued up a small PVC structure to mount a heater, temperature probe, and salinity probe to sit in the bottom of the saltwater tank and connect into my Apex.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to organize all the Apex cabling and power cords, and start the Apex configuration & programming.
@SuncrestReef where did you get the UV mounting brackets as shown in this post?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of UV placement, here are two photos showing the placement of my 25 watt AquaUV unit. Following the guidance of the manufacturer, I mounted it so no bubbles of air remain after the return lines drain down. It is positioned front to back for ease of tube removal and it rests firmly against the back wall with one of the brackets SuncrestReef used. The forward section of the sterilizer is suspended from the "roof" and the entire unit is "locked" in place by the unions of the return plumbing. I have 24" clearance front to back in the cabinet.
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

All the return water flows through the UV. I get 500 gph flow through the sump thanks to the COR20 at 100%. According to the company, this is about the proper flow for ideal sterilization. BTW. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of UV placement, here are two photos showing the placement of my 25 watt AquaUV unit. Following the guidance of the manufacturer, I mounted it so no bubbles of air remain after the return lines drain down. It is positioned front to back for ease of tube removal and it rests firmly against the back wall with one of the brackets SuncrestReef used. The forward section of the sterilizer is suspended from the "roof" and the entire unit is "locked" in place by the unions of the return plumbing. I have 24" clearance front to back in the cabinet.
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

All the return water flows through the UV. I get 500 gph flow through the sump thanks to the COR20 at 100%. According to the company, this is about the proper flow for ideal sterilization. BTW. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef.
That is a very nice install.

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who haven't been following along, this build thread took a detour as I completely tore down my Reefer XL 425 after a tank crash and rebuilt it with a brand new sump and plumbing. Now that the rebuild is done, I will resume updating this thread as I re-stock the tank to hopefully get back to the beautiful reef I had before the crash.

Here's a recap of the teardown and rebuild in photos:

I wanted to make this Trigger Systems Platinum 34" sump fit into a cabinet section that was only 28" wide due to the Red Sea cabinet's center support panel.

C0714E92-066C-48C0-8F79-463F305A47BD.jpeg

I figured the safest way to do this would be to drain and remove the display tank from the cabinet, disassemble the cabinet, then replace the center panel with an aluminum frame, opening up the full 46" interior width of the cabinet.

I started by turning off my return pump, moving my heater and probes into the display tank, then draining the sump. At that point the display tank was self-sufficient so I could disassemble and remove the sump, plumbing, and wiring. This is the mess created when you unbundle all those carefully routed wires:

9E4149AA-3A46-412C-86BA-F37C5C39CE39.jpeg

Here's what a Neptune 1" flow sensor looks like inside after 3 years of use without cleaning it:

IMG_0175.jpeg

I pulled the sump out for a thorough cleaning:

IMG_0193.jpeg

And then set up the sump and my 20 gallon QT tank to hold my corals and fish while I drain the display tank:

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0232a.jpeg

Next I removed the display tank for cleaning:

IMG_0240.jpeg

A simple razor blade worked really well:

A1D01DAC-AB2A-41E0-996E-777604193429.jpeg

Meanwhile, I acid washed and bleached the rocks. Thanks to @obrien.david.j for loaning me his blue barrel and suction cups that helped immensely in this project!

IMG_0247.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

The next step was to disassemble the Red Sea cabinet to replace the center support panel with the aluminum frame. This was surprisingly easy and only took about 30 minutes:

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

And now the new Trigger Systems Platinum 34 sump fits perfectly!

IMG_0292.jpeg

Next it was time to work on the new plumbing. I stayed with my original use of orange PVC and gray fittings:

24DA382A-6057-49FB-AB0D-C97FA853E5C0.jpeg

1FAF40A0-01A4-45FE-8418-F37EA0BF9A1E.jpeg

A few hours of sniffing PVC glue and drinking beer is a great way to spend a weekend afternoon! What could go wrong???

IMG_0415.jpeg

Luckily everything fit:

IMG_0418.jpeg

IMG_0419.jpeg

While the build was in progress, I stocked the tank with a couple of 22" bluegill...

IMG_0414.jpeg

The leak test was a success, so I was able to fill the tank:

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

I mounted my Neptune GRO refugium light to the Trigger sump's top crossbar to eliminate the bulky mounting arm:

IMG_0439.jpeg

And with that, I was ready to transfer my fish & corals back to the display tank:

IMG_0650.jpg
I have a question? I bought the 57 watt Aqua Ultraviolet and I wanted to convert it to 1" pipe but it seems that mine came with the 2" x 3/4" reducer already glued into the cups. So my question how did you convert yours?

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 71

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back