Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice install.
I have a question? I bought the 57 watt Aqua Ultraviolet and I wanted to convert it to 1" pipe but it seems that mine came with the 2" x 3/4" reducer already glued into the cups. So my question how did you convert yours?

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question? I bought the 57 watt Aqua Ultraviolet and I wanted to convert it to 1" pipe but it seems that mine came with the 2" x 3/4" reducer already glued into the cups. So my question how did you convert yours?
When you buy the AquaUV, you have a choice of 2" or 3/4". I bought the 2" version, then used a 2" to 1" adapter.

You can buy just the 2" unions to replace your 3/4" here:

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy the AquaUV, you have a choice of 2" or 3/4". I bought the 2" version, then used a 2" to 1" adapter.

You can buy just the 2" unions to replace your 3/4" here:
Yes thank you for your reply. I found out a little to late and went on line to buy the 2" adaptors for $21.00 extra. Anyways thank you Sir.

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to run across this build thread. Have not had the chance to read it all yet but I will.

I just ordered a 425 XL and have my ApexEL, COR20, and WAV in the closet. I have two RS 90w lights and RSK600 skimmer on the way. Gonna hang the BRS 5stage RODI in the garage next to the water heater. My tank will be in my home office on the opposite end of the house so not really an opportunity to automate water changes. I'll have to cart water through the house. :( At least no steps to navigate.

My first smart move, sure to be followed by a series of dumb moves, was to buy the tank from my LFS. I'll pick up and install the stand myself so I can be 100% sure it's done right (my other hobby is building furniture). Then the LFS will deliver and set the tank on the stand.

My second smart move was to pay for everything with an American Express card to get an additional 1 year warranty.

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true, this is the first aquarium I've ever had. I tend to really dive into hobbies and rarely ever do anything without a ton of research and planning. I can honestly say this hobby has sucked me in more than I ever expected. It's fun, interesting, challenging, frustrating, and obsessive all rolled into one.
I know I'm replying to an almost three year old post but your attention to detail has created an incredible tank. I'm only half way through devouring your build thread. One of the things that I enjoy about reefing is that I get to be a chemist, biologist, zoologist, plumber, electrician, carpenter, and janitor all at the same time!

Edit: ...and IoT programmer!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef we haven’t seen a FTS of your reef in quite awhile. Care to post one?
Actually, I haven't posted because I've been battling a really bad bubble algae outbreak. I'm currently treating it with Vibrant and having some success. But it's ugly.

JReese21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were you able to take the bottom two selves out in the cabinet? I am trying to be able to see all of the feet again so I can re-level the tank and I can't seem to figure out how to get them out without damaging them.

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were you able to take the bottom two selves out in the cabinet? I am trying to be able to see all of the feet again so I can re-level the tank and I can't seem to figure out how to get them out without damaging them.
I was wondering the same when I was setting up my used 425. Unfortunately I found the assembly manual well after it was setup. I ended up attaching the foot wrench to slimjim with zip ties. It was a pain but it did work.

From the manual: It looks like the bottom cabinet floors just lay in there on top of wooden dowels. So I am guessing they are fairly tight and damage may occur trying to pry them up. I would guess the only safe way would be to stand the cabinet upside down and gently tap on the floor evenly with a rubber mallet...

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinet disassembly is pretty easy. You just need a screwdriver to unlock each of the cam bolts, then use a rubber mallet to gently tap the panels to release them from the dowels. You can see photos of my disassembled cabinet here during my rebuild: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-reefer-xl-425-rebuild.795310/post-8801707

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More good progress today. I glued up all the PVC and installed the sump plumbing. I purchased a set of mounting brackets for the Aqua UV sterilizer since it's a pretty heavy unit and will require periodic maintenance to replace the bulb and clean the glass tube. I wanted to make sure it was mounted firmly to make this easier when unscrewing the large PVC fittings.

IMG_2654.jpg

To support the rest of the plumbing, I used 1" x 1" zip-tie mounting plates screwed into the sump cabinet ceiling, then suspended the PVC pipe from the mounts with zip ties. This worked great because it allowed me to loosely suspend the pipes while I got everything lined up and connected, then just tightened the zip ties until everything was pulled up to the ceiling and level with the UV sterilizer that is mounted solidly.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

Now I just need to wait patiently for Neptune to get their manufacturing caught up and start shipping the next batch of COR-20 pumps so I can get water flowing.

I also added a few final touches to my saltwater mixing station. I glued up a small PVC structure to mount a heater, temperature probe, and salinity probe to sit in the bottom of the saltwater tank and connect into my Apex.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to organize all the Apex cabling and power cords, and start the Apex configuration & programming.
I am getting back into the hobby after a little hiatus. Reviewing your build. Have you had any issue with temp probe so close to heater?
also, where did you get the 3 way furniture grade fittings used in mixing station? I apologize if these questions already asked.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the hobby after a little hiatus. Reviewing your build. Have you had any issue with temp probe so close to heater?
also, where did you get the 3 way furniture grade fittings used in mixing station? I apologize if these questions already asked.
I have a powerhead in my sump that creates flow, plus the temp probe is primarily upstream of the heater, so I've never had any issues.

The 3-way fitting is from Formufit.com. https://formufit.com/collections/3-way-pvc-corner-elbow

BiCoastal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a brilliant thread! I have a 425XL sitting in the basement - bought it a couple of years ago but then life happened and never put it together! I am starting the build soon (hopefully this time I will actually do it!)

I am trying to find the fittings to convert the plumbing but they are hard to find here in Canada :)

I have a questions about powerbeads. where did you place them in the DT? any recommendations? I bought a max spect fx330 back when I can gathering the things but I wonder if there are better options out there now. I have been thinking about putting the powerheads on the rear wall (maybe they disappear on the black wall!) but not sure if that will create the right flow.

P.S. I haven't gone through all the pages yet. if you have already answered the question the I apologize in advance :)

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a brilliant thread! I have a 425XL sitting in the basement - bought it a couple of years ago but then life happened and never put it together! I am starting the build soon (hopefully this time I will actually do it!)

I am trying to find the fittings to convert the plumbing but they are hard to find here in Canada :)

I have a questions about powerbeads. where did you place them in the DT? any recommendations? I bought a max spect fx330 back when I can gathering the things but I wonder if there are better options out there now. I have been thinking about putting the powerheads on the rear wall (maybe they disappear on the black wall!) but not sure if that will create the right flow.

P.S. I haven't gone through all the pages yet. if you have already answered the question the I apologize in advance :)
I have two reefwave 25 that I mounted vertically on the back wall corners and point along the back towards the overflow. This hides the pumps, avoids direct flow at corals, keeps detritus from gathering in the back, and allows me to hide the cord by having it run right up and out the corners of the tank.

Overall, best pump placement will largely be determined by aquascape.

BiCoastal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question for the experts here. I just started putting the 425xl together and I noticed that the front edge of the tank doesnt line up with the top of the cabinet.
I was wondering if the bottom of the tank needs to be fully supported by the top of the cabinet. The first pictures is the back edge which is lined up and the second picture is the front and as you can see it’s not lined up to the top (flat part) of the cabinet but lines up with the top of the doors.
Is this as designed or am i missing something.

thanks.

Attachments

• 02824821-2F28-4D87-AB6E-D14AFAB7B27D.jpeg
    02824821-2F28-4D87-AB6E-D14AFAB7B27D.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 939EB249-62B2-4D95-A7FC-84C5EFA340AC.jpeg
    939EB249-62B2-4D95-A7FC-84C5EFA340AC.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question for the experts here. I just started putting the 425xl together and I noticed that the front edge of the tank doesnt line up with the top of the cabinet.
I was wondering if the bottom of the tank needs to be fully supported by the top of the cabinet. The first pictures is the back edge which is lined up and the second picture is the front and as you can see it’s not lined up to the top (flat part) of the cabinet but lines up with the top of the doors.
Is this as designed or am i missing something.

thanks.
The front of the XL 425 tank extends beyond the cabinet frame, so when you close the cabinet doors the tank and the doors are flush. This is normal, and will not cause any problems.

Husker-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef Did you end up changing your mounting setup for your Sky's? Trying to decide on the RMS arm mount or hang them off the ceiling. Read many reviews on the RMS leaning too far forward.

Back