Sunday Morning AMA with Joseph Caparatta, 6 years Anniversary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the most common ways to dip corals? What is the best way?

More specifically what's in or not b in the water? How long do you leave them in? Etc.
There are a lot of choices and methods when it comes to dipping. Most are simply a matter of preference. We use Coral Rx as described in the directions on it. The most important things to keep in mind is to use a turkey baster and gently push water into all the nooks and crannies of the coral to flush out any pests that are stunned by the chemicals in the dip. If they are stunned but not killed and not removed, chances are they will recover once placed back in the tank. After a dip I like to put the corals in a clean white container without dip medicine. Continue to use the turkey baster to really make sure nothing else is on them. Letting them sit for 10 minutes or so will also help to purge the medicine from the tissues so it doesn't contaminate the main system. For large scale dipping one should employ fresh carbon in this container and in the display tank to really make sure the medicine is removed. Also keep in mind that certain corals like smooth skin acro do not respond well to dips so extra care should be used when trying to dip them.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe ,

First of all congrats frags on successful 6 years .
I have 2 questions :-

1. When will there be an avaibility of OG and Solomon Islands PM ? Since you grow both , what are the differences between them ?

2. I am looking at a larger 200 gallon setup with 48 in x36 in x 22 in height tank - acro dominated only . Thinking of 2 panta rhei ecm 42s along with my tunzes .
How do you think the Panta Rheis are different compared to vortechs and tunzes ?Are they even worth in smaller tanks less than 6 feet in length ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for the congrats. Time does fly when you are having fun.

1- The PM's grow very slowly so the best bet is to keep in touch with Danny or I and we will cut you a frag when they are ready. It is hard to describe the subtle differences between the two without using pics but the Sol island one is more pine cone in shape and probably a denser structure. The space between the branches is tighter as well. The purple we have witnessed is a deeper, brighter color in the OG. Both seem to grow close to the same speed. SLOW.

2- I would rate Panta Rhei higher than tunze and vortech as far as craftsmanship. The flow is probably slightly more with the ECM 42 over the competition mentioned. I think at these sizes, visual appearance and placement as well as budget are of more important concerns than actual flow. What I especially like about the panta rhei is that it is silent, does not have parts that are known to corrode prematurely in the tank, is very versatile in terms of placement (can be mounted on a wet overflow box whereas the vortech cannot, very high electrical efficiency and smaller size. All really are great options though and I use all three depending on budget and placement for the tanks we instal in NYC.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of choices and methods when it comes to dipping. Most are simply a matter of preference. We use Coral Rx as described in the directions on it.

Do you have an opinion on using Bayer for a dip, either in lieu of or sequentially to Coral Rx?

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an opinion on using Bayer for a dip, either in lieu of or sequentially to Coral Rx?
I like Bayer. It works very well. The only issue with it is that its so milky white that its hard to see if pests come off or to really see what you are doing. In shallow tubs its not as bad but with larger pieces and deeper water it is like working in the blind.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back