Sundials for sale

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think I've seen it all now.

Went into one of the two real Salt stores here to look and see what kind of frags they had. They have a tank that always has cheap frags in it. Have picked up a nice pocillipora from there and a purple polyp monti. They have alot of zoos in there at times, but they go fast.

I looked in the tank at some really sweet looking zoos--I have not seen this particular morph before. Still can't find it on zoaid.com even. Well, I was just about to buy the thing when I saw something moving between the polyps. I looked closer and saw a sundial snail!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( It had the typical pyramidal trapdoor and everything.

I quickly pointed it out to the guy working there and he looked at it and said, "That's a sundial? Wow. That's the third one of those we've pulled out since Sunday (3 days!!)". I asked him if they had reported it to the guy over the store (co-owner) and he said that the guy knew, but must have forgotten about it. The tank was not even QT'ed and there was no sign on it. I asked him to report it again and think about dipping and QT'ing the whole tank. I left without buying anything obviously.

what the heck???? They know they have an infested tank and they are still selling from there?
This isn't the first time they have had critters in their systems. They sold me some chaeto with flatworms in it. Thank goodness I QT everything before putting it in my DT. I saw them and was able to get rid of them.

Just wanted to vent.

Last edited:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people who keep sps tanks will kill to be able to get ahold of sundial snails.

i've seen them go for upwards of $2-$3 each depending on how badly people want them. you'd be surprised.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are they helpful for sps tanks? Just curious. :)

The main reason I think is the fact that some hard core sps'ers hate zoas/palys as the take up and grow on valuable sps growing space. The sundials will eat th zoas so they dont have to worry about them.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive seen plenty of LFS here in NY with sundial snails and other pest in their tank. Most LFS are in it for the money. So i highly dout that they are willing to pay for good help that know what they re doing JMO it sad thou

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But dont let that stop you from buying a great piece of coral. with good QT tank and some care its no problem

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt really blame the lfs
i havent seen a SINGLE lfs actually qt anything
but then again the worst thing ive ever gotten from my lfs are flat worms
some online vendors ive gotten nudis and sundials but theyre easy to get rid of
i have more of a problem with flatworms since they reproduce sooo quickly then nudis or sundials
my tank used to be covered with nudis and i tossed in a yellow coris and theyre ALL gone and sundials i just have to hand pick out and flatworms are easy too but just have to dip them

OP
OP
R

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Albuquerque.
Thanks for the insight everyone. If those zoos are still there, I will probably pick them up and dip the you know what out of them and Qt for a couple of weeks two. You guys think that's sufficient?

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Albuquerque.
Thanks for the insight everyone. If those zoos are still there, I will probably pick them up and dip the you know what out of them and Qt for a couple of weeks two. You guys think that's sufficient?

4 weeks would be better and safer, I would also check them every week in the QT tank ,look between the polyps for those eggs ,that is really the most important that doesnt get into your tank

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back