"Sunny side up egg" algae(?) on glass

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought these were some kind of flat worm at first but when I scrape them off the glass they seem calcified so I assume they're a type of algae. They're probably a bit less than a centimeter, the side facing the glass looks like a fried egg with a bright yellow-with-hint-of-green "yolk." The side not facing the glass is just white and slightly rounded.

They're mildly annoying but don't seem harmful, I'm just curious what they are.

20230528_120828~3.jpg 20230528_120828~2.jpg

OP
OP
F

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other snails/sea slugs do you have in your tank (if any)?
I have:
Two strawberry conches (they climb on the glass but not typically the front)

Two lettuce sea slugs of different species (Elysia clarki and Elysia diomedea) - guessing it's not them because of the characteristic spiral pattern their eggs are laid in and the fact that they're different species.

Three or four small nassarius snails.

I used to have a bunch of collonista snails but I think they stopped breeding and died off because I haven't seen any in a while. I have a few more snails too but they were added after these things started appearing.

Any chance nerite snails can lay unfertilized eggs?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I doubt the nerite will lay unfertilized eggs (and the yellow center would seem to indicate that they are fertilized), so I doubt that one’s the cause here. I’ve heard that some Nassarius snail species will lay singular egg sacs instead of the usual, massive pattern of eggs, but I can’t confirm this at the moment, and that would be pretty unlikely too from what I’ve seen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back