Sunset Monti

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone - I don’t really have high hopes but I want to do what I can.
We received a mystic sunset monti frag for free. Someone at my friends work bought it but didn’t like the coloration of it. My friend knew we were just getting into the hobby so they sent her home with it. I didn’t want to say no due to her not having anywhere for it so I brought it home.

reading everything, it obviously requires a more mature tank. Is there anything I can do to help it grow? I don’t want to just let it die… I do love the coral, it’s a beautiful reddish orange.

we do have some zoas currently that seem to be doing ok. We’ve only had them for a few days but they all opened up, closed for nighttime feeding, and we’re open again by morning.
Edited - just learned it’s actually a mystic sunset. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone - I don’t really have high hopes but I want to do what I can.
We received a sunset monti frag for free. Someone at my friends work bought it but didn’t like the coloration of it. My friend knew we were just getting into the hobby so they sent her home with it. I didn’t want to say no due to her not having anywhere for it so I brought it home.

reading everything, it obviously requires a more mature tank. Is there anything I can do to help it grow? I don’t want to just let it die… I do love the coral, it’s a beautiful reddish orange.

we do have some zoas currently that seem to be doing ok. We’ve only had them for a few days but they all opened up, closed for nighttime feeding, and we’re open again by morning.
The more light the better. I'm not sure what kind of lighting you have, but it definitely needs a decent amount of actinic blue lighting in order to photosynthesize and grow. It should also get a heavy amount of flow; ideally 40-60x the gph of your display. I would aim your powerhead directly at it. Make sure your alkalinity is stable. Test alkalinity often.Montis are very sensitive to sudden fluctuations in alkalinity. I would also recommend spot feeding 2-3x a week with zooplankton. I personally spot feed mine with rotifeast and oysterfeast. Hope this helped

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more light the better. I'm not sure what kind of lighting you have, but it definitely needs a decent amount of actinic blue lighting in order to photosynthesize and grow. It should also get a heavy amount of flow; ideally 40-60x the gph of your display. I would aim your powerhead directly at it. Make sure your alkalinity is stable. Test alkalinity often.Montis are very sensitive to sudden fluctuations in alkalinity. I would also recommend spot feeding 2-3x a week with zooplankton. I personally spot feed mine with rotifeast and oysterfeast. Hope this helped
Yes thank you! I actually just learned it’s a mystic sunset which makes me even more excited/nervous lol.
we have 3 radion xr 15s and it is currently sitting near the top. Alkalinity has been stable.
I have reef chili from BRS and reef roids coming Friday. Are those okay??

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
592294ED-9688-47D2-8615-DE9EA60BBED2.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all coral has better odds in a mature tank, but having said that I dont find montis to be especially difficult. In fact with a moderate to high amount of light (nothing crazy the sunset monti will bleach) and reasonable flow they seem to be just fine. Usually one of the first things I put in my tank.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all coral has better odds in a mature tank, but having said that I dont find montis to be especially difficult. In fact with a moderate to high amount of light (nothing crazy the sunset monti will bleach) and reasonable flow they seem to be just fine. Usually one of the first things I put in my tank.
Should we keep it out of direct light? I just posted a photo and learned it’s a mystic sunset, not sure if there’s any difference compared to the normal sunset.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we keep it out of direct light? I just posted a photo and learned it’s a mystic sunset, not sure if there’s any difference compared to the normal sunset.

It should be in direct light for sure. I would start near the middle of the tank and go from there based on how it does. I keep most of my acros in very high par and if I move any of my encrusting montis to that same light they will start turning pale and eventually bleach out fairly quickly

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow well with more light than less I just use the basic program that my light fixture was equipped with about ten and a half hours on full light with about an hour and a half on each side for the light to reach full intensity and less during the sunset period

Attachments

• F27C782A-8F1E-4DB5-96B8-C460A9751B43.jpeg
    F27C782A-8F1E-4DB5-96B8-C460A9751B43.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 23
Back