SunSun / Coospider UV sterilizer for parasite sterilization (to use prefilter or not)

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
some background info - I chose a Sun/coospider jup-01 submersible for UV sterilization to reduce ICK numbers and other baddies (algae/bacteria) in my 70g display ( no sump )

american aquarium products, seems like a reliable information source on UV, said this SunSun product was better than expected and does a easy job for level 1 sterilization, and is classified as a category b sterilizer, in terms of efficiency.
parasite control is level 2 and to achieve this I need a GPH / Watt of under 8, my GPH/Watt at full flow rate is 23 for the SunSun ( which fits nicely into the level 1 category )

this is their chart
1673826609976.png

So, to achieve this GPH/Watt of 8 can I adjust my flow rate to lets say 1/3, this would slow it down enough right? if I did this my turnover rate would suffer though, going from 3x to 1x for my 70 gallon tank. is this a worthwhile compromise or should i leave things as they are and rely on higher turnover for parasite control, (they are still getting damaged, process is just inefficient)

2nd part -
if using the Aqua UV chart on their website - the sun sun product is similar to their 8w Classic, albeit bulb length and size is different, I imagine the Sun Sun would be capable of level 2 sterilization as well, since the specs fall within the 90000 mw/cm range with 210 gph for this unit.
aqua UV chart

Am I misjudging this product for level 2 sterilization, it seems suitable for level 1 for sure!
generally good reviews on it too.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops ignore the prefilter comment in the title, as I understand it will only decrease the efficiency of the UV due to water turbidity, and does not effect gph/watt rate in terms of level 1 and level 2 sterilization capabilities.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a YouTube Video several years ago, on a commercial fish farm. One thing I picked up on, were the Filter Socks on the outlet of the UVs. I did this on my 65 Gallon, which is the only filter sock, all other water is bypassed. So far I’ve had good results, with no disease outbreak.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting.
It's been working well for me , with no signs of disease after installing, im only finishing up a 6 week hydrogen peroxide treatment for parasites through dosing as you can find on humblefish forum.
I believe it's not as strong as other uv sterilizer but it still works based off if number of pass throughs

Back