SUPER high Iodine in ICP results

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of even measuring it if there is no meaning to the result? I do not care to know any information that is inconclusive or action cannot be taken on it.

Well, I don't recall telling anyone in the past decade they "should" measure iodine. :D

Nothing in the tank should cause a "false" reading, but you may interpret the correct result (assuming it is not a test error) incorrectly.

Are you using GAC? If it is an organic compound(s) then more GAC may help reduce it.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the semantics but when Triton tells me how to interpret it, then it is either high, false, or the advice is wrong.

I am not using GAC at the moment (pump issue), but why would I want to reduce it if the form of Iodine that is being reported may not be an issue at that concentration.

See, still confused, and I do not think I am alone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the semantics but when Triton tells me how to interpret it, then it is either high, false, or the advice is wrong.

I am not using GAC at the moment (pump issue), but why would I want to reduce it if the form of Iodine that is being reported may not be an issue at that concentration.

See, still confused, and I do not think I am alone.

Well, I'm not sure what form might be present at 2 ppm that isn't a potential issue. :D

To be clear, I'm not sure what issues their may be with 2 ppm iodide, but elevated iodate seemed to brown some corals of mine when I experimented with dosing it (at levels well below your levels) and most organoiodine compounds are not, generally speaking, benign.

I think I'll start a thread in their forum to see their thoughts on such cases and what, if anything, it seems to correlate with.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was a little shocked reading this thread when you guys mentioned the nori. I go through 30-50g a week in 300l of water volume. I'm assuming my results wouldn't be as high as Terence. :eek:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 grams nori in 300 gallons only adds 40 mg/kg x 50 grams/1000 g/kg / 300 gallons = 0.0067 mg/gallon = less than 0.002 ppm iodine :)

Most people dosing add a lot more than that in a typical week.

Dhofman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have gone thru this very same thing. I had a deviation of almost 3000 ug/l. My post is linked below for reference.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1st-time-triton-results-iodine-off-the-charts.269308/

OP, can you elaborate on what salt you use anything and everything you dose? My high iodine was likely coming from dosing Aquavitro's Vibrance. The seachem iodide/iodine test recommended to detect it always said I was low or had no iodide so I always dosed it. After I got my Triton results, I too was perplexed. I stopped dosing Vibrance and Aquavitro's Fuel ( which also contains iodine) altogether. I stuck with my weekly 10% water changes and it did slowly come over the course of a year and am now near the Triton setpoint. One thing I also did was change salt from Aquavitro Salinity to Red Sea (mix of Pro and blue bucket). I did this for other reasons and do not know what the potential impact/influence it was with regards to lowering iodine.

Things have been much better with my tank since getting that level down. The only thing noticed that has been a negative was any and all montipora in my tank does not fully extend polyps (regardless of species, placement, etc.) while before it was always nice and "fuzzy". I am not sure if it is related at all as multiple things where changed at one time. Still trying to figure this one out....

Anyway, perhaps check anything you dose that may contain iodide or iodine?!? My tests for it just never matched what Triton came back with. Not in any way scientific, just my 2 cents.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll add my experience. I had my water tested in July by triton. My iodine level was 3504. My high level was caused by inadvertently dosing 20 ml per day of Seachem Iodine in my 400 gal. system instead of 2 for a good month. In the next 6 weeks I dropped the level to 400 through frequent large water changes. I’ve continued the water changes and sent another test in last week. Hopefully it will soon be back to normal levels.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have gone thru this very same thing. I had a deviation of almost 3000 ug/l. My post is linked below for reference.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1st-time-triton-results-iodine-off-the-charts.269308/

OP, can you elaborate on what salt you use anything and everything you dose? My high iodine was likely coming from dosing Aquavitro's Vibrance. The seachem iodide/iodine test recommended to detect it always said I was low or had no iodide so I always dosed it. After I got my Triton results, I too was perplexed. I stopped dosing Vibrance and Aquavitro's Fuel ( which also contains iodine) altogether. I stuck with my weekly 10% water changes and it did slowly come over the course of a year and am now near the Triton setpoint. One thing I also did was change salt from Aquavitro Salinity to Red Sea (mix of Pro and blue bucket). I did this for other reasons and do not know what the potential impact/influence it was with regards to lowering iodine.

Things have been much better with my tank since getting that level down. The only thing noticed that has been a negative was any and all montipora in my tank does not fully extend polyps (regardless of species, placement, etc.) while before it was always nice and "fuzzy". I am not sure if it is related at all as multiple things where changed at one time. Still trying to figure this one out....

Anyway, perhaps check anything you dose that may contain iodide or iodine?!? My tests for it just never matched what Triton came back with. Not in any way scientific, just my 2 cents.
I was using ATM Hot Salt and now Fritz RPM. The last three 100g changes were with Fritz. If the numbers are correct, and if the source were my salt, the drop should have been much more significant.

I was not dosing anything else at the time of the two tests - I am now dosing Triton 4-part at 20ml/day.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long shot but do you have any children that could be pouring your iodine supplement (if you have one) into your tank without telling you lol?

Leland Foley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my iodine test high on my last icp test due to feeding Zooplan and Nutrigorg daily. I reduced the amount I feed now and increased my water changes to 30% every two weeks, and it successfully keeps the levels under control.

-Leland

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just got my second ICP back on my tank. The first one had Iodine level over 2000ug/l so I was super curious to see what the second one would show after doing five separate 17% water changes over a four week period between the tests. I had added no other elements to the tank in that period. My tank runs a CaRx and Denitrator as well as a huge patch of macro in the 200g 28sf sump.

My second test still showed over 2000. What is going on here!?

All my results are below - can someone (hopefully Randy) give me some insight or speculation on this and any other anomaly he may see in these results?

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.29.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.29.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.29.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.29.18 AM.png

Well - since the first results were >2000, how do you know that 5 separate 17% water changes would reduce it to below 2000 (since you dont know where it started). Of course, it could be a testing error on the part of the company in both cases. This is a math problem right - Randy is good at the Excel spreadsheet thing I am not - but Im sure based on the water change thing - he could calculate that if your I levvel were more than xxx the water changes wouldn't lower it to below 2000. (of course the real issue is why is it high in the first place)

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble interpreting the other tests here. Are all your other trace elements really zero?
What kind of salt are you using? Send off a test to Triton as a second opinion.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - since the first results were >2000, how do you know that 5 separate 17% water changes would reduce it to below 2000 (since you dont know where it started). Of course, it could be a testing error on the part of the company in both cases. This is a math problem right - Randy is good at the Excel spreadsheet thing I am not - but Im sure based on the water change thing - he could calculate that if your I levvel were more than xxx the water changes wouldn't lower it to below 2000. (of course the real issue is why is it high in the first place)

True, but I expect it was a number in the 2000's just from the way it was written since Triton doesn't give "greater than" results. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble interpreting the other tests here. Are all your other trace elements really zero?
What kind of salt are you using? Send off a test to Triton as a second opinion.

What other tests?
Whose test result?

When Triton gives a 0, it just means it is below their detection limit, which they publish but you have to know where to look for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is a bit late, but I also had another ICP test done by the guys at ICP-Analysis.com. I took the sample about two weeks after the sample above was taken and had been dosing about 25ml of Triton Core7 4-part daily.

The iodine levels were not super-elevated in this test. So, I will pull water again today and send to Triton and ICP-Analysis tomorrow to see what they say and compare.

Let me know if there is anything strange you see.

upload_2017-10-29_14-52-45.png

upload_2017-10-29_14-53-0.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back